I think I found Kirby's plane!!!

jsharr

Protective covers for the static dischargers? Now I've seen everything. On the other hand, I probably changed well over 100 of them over the years. Some broke in flight, but many were run into by people (including yours truly).

Story about static dischargers. I was TDY up to Wright-Patterson AFB to teach advance aircraft mechanic classes on the T-39 Sabreliner. The T-39s had an odd mixture of static dischargers. Sometimes they would be on the wings, like the photo above, sometimes they would be on the tail, and sometimes they would be attached to the lightning dischargers near the fuel dump valve.

While showing the mechanics how to do a proper preflight, I noticed that one aircraft didn't have any static dischargers. Not a one! Also there was a very old write-up in the forms about static in the radios at times. Well it didn't take a genius to figure that one out!

• Heart 3

14 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Protective covers for the static dischargers? Now I've seen everything. On the other hand, I probably changed well over 100 of them over the years. Some broke in flight, but many were run into by people (including yours truly).

Story about static dischargers. I was TDY up to Wright-Patterson AFB to teach advance aircraft mechanic classes on the T-39 Sabreliner. The T-39s had an odd mixture of static dischargers. Sometimes they would be on the wings, like the photo above, sometimes they would be on the tail, and sometimes they would be attached to the lightning dischargers near the fuel dump valve.

While showing the mechanics how to do a proper preflight, I noticed that one aircraft didn't have any static dischargers. Not a one! Also there was a very old write-up in the forms about static in the radios at times. Well it didn't take a genius to figure that one out!

So the streamer mounts are dual porpoise?  Who knew?  And that poor old T 39 could not have had any streamers if all the mounts had been ripped off!!:runcirclsmiley:

14 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

You would like talking to my uncle who worked as a mechanic for Eastern Airlines his whole career.