The Story of My New Glasses

Kirby

I live a good mystery novel.  Thanks.

One question, when you say "you might want that some day." are you talking about the man or the help setting up the TV system?  I think your editor would have straightened this confusion out before publishing.  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

One question, when you say "you might want that some day." are you talking about the man or the help setting up the TV system?  I think your editor would have straightened this confusion out before publishing.  

I did not realize it was a mystery?  It did not start on a dark and stormy night, did it?

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The man who can provide the help setting up a TV system.

7 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

The story of my last pair of glasses.

Walk into former schoolmate’s shop.

”Hi Al”

”Hey Dave, what’s up?”

”I have a fecal visual impairment”

”What?”

”I can’t see shit”.

Got exam. Walked over to rack, picked out frames, handed them to him.

Came back a week later, picked up new glasses, paid and left.

The end.

This is weak.  You post this crap in Kirby's mystery novel thread.........

14 minutes ago, Kirby said:

If you want to know more about the man, you'll have to go in and order your own glasses.  :nodhead:

I'm not interested in the man,,,just say'n...and I can set up my own TV.

Yesterday did get my reminder notice that it is time. My how a year flys by. Doubt if she will be giving me 'suggestions' on various topics but we might talk bikes. She is an avid cyclist and I see her on the road quite a bit.

HINT: When trying on new frames, particularly if your eyes are still dilated, I bring my iPad and take selfies for reviewing later. Also allows wife to give her input.

At least you'll glassed you like out of it, Kirby.

There are two people who deal with glasses in my eye doctor's office. The price is good with my insurance covering most, but one of the glasses people is excellent and the other is awful. The problem is I forget which one is good and which one is bad!  It will probably be a year or two before I get another pair.  Maybe I'll remember by then or the bad one will be gone.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

At least you'll glassed you like out of it, Kirby.

There are two people who deal with glasses in my eye doctor's office. The price is good with my insurance covering most, but one of the glasses people is excellent and the other is awful. The problem is I forget which one is good and which one is bad!  It will probably be a year or two before I get another pair.  Maybe I'll remember by then or the bad one will be gone.

Next time you are in and deal with the bad person, just start screaming obscenities at that person.  From then on, it will be easy to tell them apart when you walk in.

• Heart 2

I liked your story, Kirby. :)  

I tried progressives for lst time 2 yrs. ago and after 1 day, I had eyepain which persisted for 2 days.  I changed the glass prescription to reading glasses.  I didn't replace my computer glasses since they were still fine for me and my work health benefit didn't cover 2nd pair of glasses.

Now I wonder what my eye test will reveal next month...and if I will be forced to get 2 different sets of glasses. I am afraid progressives will give me eyepain again. My eyesight is valuable and don't want that sensation at all.  I can bear pain in my foot in new shoes for 3 days, then it's ok.  But not my eyes...

Anyone else have same eyepain with progressives?

• Heart 1

I enjoyed your story Kirby. Good luck with the new glasses.

I've had progressives for two years and love them.

I am about due for new ones myself. I bought my last ones from Warby Parker and would like to get my next ones from them. The problem I have is there is not a Warby Parker store near me. I'd have to order online which is fine, but I need the glasses adjusted. I guess I'd have to take them to a local shop and see if they would adjust them for me.

• Heart 1

I educated myself about frame sizing a couple of years ago when I was searching the internet on the selection of frames for cycling. I've been wearing glasses since like the first grade and I didn't know anything about frame measurements and size until just a couple of years ago. Now I go in for glasses and ask the attendant if they have this frame in different sizes. They answer, "Do those fit?"

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I educated myself about frame sizing a couple of years ago when I was searching the internet on the selection of frames for cycling. I've been wearing glasses since like the first grade and I didn't know anything about frame measurements and size until just a couple of years ago. Now I go in for glasses and ask the attendant if they have this frame in different sizes. They answer, "Do those fit?"

Well, do they?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Kirby- loved the story but want to know what kind of eyeglass case the wacky lady will give you???

Oh, that's one of the best things about the wacky lady!  The normal store gives me boring dark brown cases and you get no choice.  The wacky lady has a wide variety of colors and designs. The last cases I got from her were a shiney, metallic-y purple and bronze, respectively.  Another one was a matte blue and pink.  She usually puts a large number of fun cases on the counter and lets me pick whichever ones I want.  That makes me feel very happy!!!

IMG_1101[1].JPG

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Oh, that's one of the best things about the wacky lady!  The normal store gives me boring dark brown cases and you get no choice.  The wacky lady has a wide variety of colors and designs. The last cases I got from her were a shiney, metallic-y purple and bronze, respectively.  Another one was a matte blue and pink.  She usually puts a large number of fun cases on the counter and lets me pick whichever ones I want.  That makes me feel very happy!!!

IMG_1101[1].JPG

After paying balance of enough money for my glasses, I love a free funky colour glass case.  I love mine --it's a medium purple. 

• Heart 1

A long time ago now I wandered into an Optician's shop which was below my friend's flat in Lyon in France. This middle-aged man is pottering about while a big crow is perched on a stand holding sunglasses and shitting all over the merchandise. When he heard that I was visiting his upstairs neighbour he insisted on taking me along the street to visit his friend who owned a bar and bought me drinks. Asking if I enjoyed food he gave me directions to restaurants in the country which were pretty nondescript on the outside but served the most delicious food ever and for very little money. 

We are all the richer for having people among us who are that bit different and odd, but do act as a sort of yeast in society in bringing change and a new way of looking at things. I've never forgotten that man and his kindness to a stranger.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, donkpow said:

Two local eyeglass places claim they cannot get frames to fit me. Come on now my head isn’t that big. It’s not rocket surgery, just stock a couple wider frames and some longer temples. The place I buy my glasses offers many different styles that fit me.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You obviously don't know Kirby.  Her's are spring green tumblers.  She has standards......

I'm sorry that thread got lost in the Love Forum purge. 

• Awesome 1

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: So I got a new prescription at my recent visit to the eye doctor, and ventured back into the eyeglass store with the wacky lady.  As soon as I entered she told me it was her last day at the store.  Apparently the owner of the store asked her to go work at a different location (there are about 10 stores in the chain).  She seemed to like the fact it's a bigger store where there would be other people who could cover when she goes on vacation, but it's a much longer drive for her.  Even though she's wacky and I'm sometimes wary, I like her and will be sorry to see her go.

She also told me a detailed story about her mother in law's experience at the hospital and her passing, her husband's death and a few other family tragedies.  But she's got a new house that she loves, so that is good.

When I left the store she gave me a big hug.

I think it will feel a little bittersweet when I go to pick up my new glasses and she's not there.

• Heart 4

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Interesting to see who takes her place. 

It's a woman who just had a baby and wanted to be closer to home.  She sounds very normal and suddenly that sounds a bit disappointing.

• Heart 1

On 4/18/2018 at 6:17 PM, shootingstar said:

I liked your story, Kirby. :)  

I tried progressives for lst time 2 yrs. ago and after 1 day, I had eyepain which persisted for 2 days.  I changed the glass prescription to reading glasses.  I didn't replace my computer glasses since they were still fine for me and my work health benefit didn't cover 2nd pair of glasses.

Now I wonder what my eye test will reveal next month...and if I will be forced to get 2 different sets of glasses. I am afraid progressives will give me eyepain again. My eyesight is valuable and don't want that sensation at all.  I can bear pain in my foot in new shoes for 3 days, then it's ok.  But not my eyes...

Anyone else have same eyepain with progressives?

I try to start with new glasses first thing the next day if possible. Not always possible if they just put new lenses in existing frames. I always feel like I’m looking through a fishbowl when riding my bike with new glasses!  I have been wearing progressive lenses for 15 years. I ask them to put the transition point a bit lower than normal. I just find it more comfortable.