There! I fixed it!

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

29 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

A LHS closing is sad indeed.  A (useful) piece of Americana down the old drain. :(

It is sad but not too bad. The lady that owned the hardware store lost her lease. Sheetz bought the whole block to put in a Super Sheetz and tore all the buildings down. The lady had very good long term employees and she treated them well. The lady was older than me and thought about relocating but decided to retire instead. She worked out a deal with someone and they opened an Ace Hardware just down the road a week after the closing. They offered employment to the staff and even bought up any unsold inventory at cost. It’s not the same but it’snot Bad.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Broke one drawer pull ages ago. The other one finally gave up the ghost last week. I went to the website to try and buy replacements. Nada. Got sick of pryimg the drawer open......

image.thumb.jpg.4dbe07925e8d66d50c520056157a4e8b.jpg

Dont let the boss see the increase output knob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

But not in the size you need. They have 400 of them, all the same size and brand. Ever notice that?

Yup - just ask.  And for any real project you have to return a minimum of 3 times.  This could be one of the three.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

It is sad but not too bad. The lady that owned the hardware store lost her lease. Sheetz bought the whole block to put in a Super Sheetz and tore all the buildings down. The lady had very good long term employees and she treated them well. The lady was older than me and thought about relocating but decided to retire instead. She worked out a deal with someone and they opened an Ace Hardware just down the road a week after the closing. They offered employment to the staff and even bought up any unsold inventory at cost. It’s not the same but it’snot Bad.

I passed a LHS today that shared a building with a Walgreen's.  Strange,but functional I 'spose since the drug stores snap up all the good corner lots.

On the same subject, I also passed a combination gun and tyre shop.  I could see in Texas, but in Jersey? :D

55 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

On the same subject, I also passed a combination gun and tyre shop.  I could see in Texas, but in Jersey? :D

We have a tire shop/gun shop locally here.  They used to be muffler/gun shop back when I occasionally needed exhaust work.  Now that the exhaust work business is down they migrated the back half of the building to tires.  I used to call them the samurai muffler men.  Dad had about 3 lookalike sons that worked there and they ran around like crazy men and wielded their cutting torches like swords.

BUY TIRES AND SPORTING GOODS TODAY!

For tires and outdoor recreation gear you can trust, shop at Schanz Supply Inc. in Otsego, MI! Just visit us and choose from our available products today.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

But don’t ask for sash weights.

There was a cool, old hardware store here that actually had them, when my dad was looking for them.

Don’t ever try to unload those at a scrapyard. They will refuse a whole truckload of scrap if they see one sash weight. Those are known for being made of the worst possible grade of metal. One of those melted down in a ladle of good scrap could contaminate the whole ladle.

14 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Worse than Chinesium or Thaitanium? Unpossible!

(He was using them for drift anchors for a rowboat anyway).

Those are some of the same metals that they use in window weights. You can't unscramble eggs, when a ladle of metal gets contaminated by something like Mercury there is no way to remove it. All they can do is use it for something that doesn't require strength, ie: boat anchors, window weights, free weights.

18 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

A LHS closing is sad indeed.  A (useful) piece of Americana down the old drain. :(

Mine didn't close but it did change affiliations (now an Ace Hardware).  They had large buckets of old branded hardware for sale to prepare for the new brand.  I scored a tall kitchen sink faucet set for $15 back then and finally installed it last year.  Yowza.

That reminds me to go there today and get another jug of Simple Green which I use for removing the chrome plating from plastic parts.  It's the only bio degradable stuff I know that will do that and much safer to use than oven cleaner.  And a propane refill in my spare tank wouldn't hurt.

I miss the old wooden floored hardware stores though with that unique smell of machine oil and Orangeburg pipe and other neat stuff.  Remember the lead packing material to pound into flanged pipe?

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They had large buckets of old branded hardware for sale to prepare for the new brand.  I scored a tall kitchen sink faucet set for $15 back then and finally installed it last year.  Yowza.

I scored new faucets for the kitchen and both bathrooms and a shower. I don't know if I'll ever install them, if it ain't broke don't fix it is my attitude.

• Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Image result for stuckeys

When they built one of our interstates Stuckey's jumped on the Mercer interchange. That was fifty years ago, the Stuckey's only lasted a few years. They took the sign down (one of those real high ones you can see from the interstate from miles away) but left the poles. The poles are still there rusting away and there is now a Burger King where the Stuckey's was but they put up their own sign poles.