After 40 years of punching a time clock....

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

....and having to account for every second, this place has taken some getting used to.

Last May, my boss tells me “We’re going on summer hours now....” I’d seen the email, but that said 8-4:30 and didn’t really know what that meant. He says “The other guys are working 8-4.....if you want to work around that.....” (Their normal hours are 8-4:30, mine 7-3:30). I thought “....did he just tell me I can leave a half hour early....???” Yup. I assumed that when the students came back in September, we’d go back to “regular” hours. Nope. It’s almost a year later, and I’m still leaving at 3....:blink:

A couple of weeks ago, one of my other bosses came downstairs at 3:15 or so. He asked me “What are you still doing here?” I said “Oh, I just wanted to finish these up before I went home....” He said “Oh, that’s great! Thanks a lot!” He walked away and I thought “Did I just get a pat on the head for not leaving early??? That’s fucked up!” ?

Yesterday morning, my boss says “Are you going to be here before 7:30 tomorrow??” “Uhhh, Yeah, why?” “Oh, they’re turning the power off for a few minutes at 7:30. Make sure you have a flashlight”. I’m supposed to be here at 7 and he wants to know if I’ll be here at 7:30?

Crazy stuff.

Sounds like academia, not real world - you know profit and loss, important stuff like that.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I'm always more willing to work harder and sacrifice more when people treat me well.

Yup. Me finishing something up before I left wouldn’t have happened before. Before, at 2:20:02 I was halfway down the sidewalk. I created a vaccum that sucked papers off desks on my way through the office.