Sign in to follow this  
Prophet Zacharia

Lance settles

For $6.65M. $5M to the government, $1.65M to Floyd for legal fees.

“Armstrong, 46, recently listed his home in Austin for sale for $7.5 million, expressed delight at resolving the final lawsuit about his admission, making peace with the Postal Service and putting the issue behind him.”

13 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

For lying. Marion Jones got time for lying to the feds, a pity LA cannot. The Livestrong Foundation fundraising, all that lying, that's fraud, IMO.

He was a pro cyclist at a time when doping was rampant.  Hundreds of riders lied to all sorts of different people. It was fraudulent across the board.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

He was a pro cyclist at a time when doping was rampant.  Hundreds of riders lied to all sorts of different people. It was fraudulent across the board.

Tom

That's fine then - thanks for the mansplaination.

10 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

That's fine then - thanks for the mansplaination.

It's a discussion board. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't comment on why some types of fraud are  dealt with civil prosecution and why others cross into criminal, but it's a worthwhile topic of discussion.

FWIW, WADA is opposed to the criminal prosecution of sports doping.

WADA does not wish to interfere in the sovereign right of any government to make laws for its people. However the Agency believes that the sanction process for athletes, which includes a right of appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), is a settled process, accepted by all governments of the world, and further that the sanctions for a doping violation by an athlete, which now includes a longer, four-year period of ineligibility, have been globally accepted by sport and government. As such, the Agency does not believe that doping should be made a criminal offence for athletes.

I give Lance A-hole 2 microseconds of thought.  The guy's a fucking loser and I don't care what he does, thinks, or says.  You can keep talking about him.  I won't.  But I might keep talking about people who still talk about him.  :lol:

15 hours ago, dotman17 said:

I give Lance A-hole 2 microseconds of thought.  The guy's a fucking loser and I don't care what he does, thinks, or says.  You can keep talking about him.  I won't.  But I might keep talking about people who still talk about him.  :lol:

It took me more than 10 seconds to read your 2 I don't care posts and probably took yu more than that to write.

I think 2 microseconds might be hyperbole.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

It took me more than 10 seconds to read your 2 I don't care posts and probably took yu more than that to write.

I think 2 microseconds might be hyperbole.

Oh, well it's really all about me, Max. I know you know that. 10 seconds of me beats Lance by 9.900098 seconds.

...I went over to the Friends of the Library used book store yesterday looking for some Horace.

While there, I glanced at the cycling section, because some interesting stuff shows up sometimes.

Lance Armstrong is a cottage industry in the book publishing business, there were ten or a dozen books there on the shelf, from "It's not about the bike" , to Floyd Landis' book, and even one by the sports journalist who had "devoted a dozen years to learning the TRUTH about Armstrong!!!".  I did find a University of Chicago paperback containing the Satires and the Epistles of Horace, for which I am grateful. :)  Only cost me a dollar.

On 5/6/2018 at 7:22 PM, Page Turner said:

I did find a University of Chicago paperback containing the Satires and the Epistles of Horace, for which I am grateful.  :)Only cost me a dollar.

Must have been in pristine condition, a first edition, signed by the author, with a dollar bill slid inside its pages.

Tom

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Must have been in pristine condition, a first edition, signed by the author, with a dollar bill slid inside its pages.

Tom

...Horace was the exemplary poet of the Augustinian age. Lots of good material in the satires.:)

And some people are still asking or talking about it. 

"I don't want to make excuses for myself that everybody did it or we never could have won without it. Those are all true, but the buck stops with me. I'm the one who made the decision to do what I did. I didn't want to go home, man. I was going to stay."

7 hours ago, Airehead said:

And some people are still asking or talking about it. 

"I don't want to make excuses for myself that everybody did it or we never could have won without it. Those are all true, but the buck stops with me. I'm the one who made the decision to do what I did. I didn't want to go home, man. I was going to stay."

I recorded that interview, but haven’t watched it. I’d rather hear from Floyd or Tyler about the Postal doping system.

28 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I recorded that interview, but haven’t watched it. I’d rather hear from Floyd or Tyler about the Postal doping system.

Thinking about it, though, LA made a boat load of money during his time cheating. Then he went through a maelstrom as the doping scandal took place. During the scandal period, he wisely/luckily invested his money well.  Eventually, he settled and paid a lot of money to a bunch of different entities. However, that money he "lost" had already done it's job as seed money for the investments in real estate and businesses, so when he "lost" that money, there was more than enough in the bank to replace it.

So, if someone told you that you could be a millionaire, get run through the mud (justifiably), and come out the other side still a millionaire, what's the downside versus being "Joe Normal" racing on weekends, and then working a 9-5 job for 20 years just to MAKE the FIRST million - which one would many folks choose?

Likewise, I will add, his cheating likely paid for his children - literally.  He has kids he thought he would never have because he had the cash and connections - from cheating - to get the treatment/help he needed to have kids.

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Thinking about it, though, LA made a boat load of money during his time cheating. Then he went through a maelstrom as the doping scandal took place. During the scandal period, he wisely/luckily invested his money well.  Eventually, he settled and paid a lot of money to a bunch of different entities. However, that money he "lost" had already done it's job as seed money for the investments in real estate and businesses, so when he "lost" that money, there was more than enough in the bank to replace it.

So, if someone told you that you could be a millionaire, get run through the mud (justifiably), and come out the other side still a millionaire, what's the downside versus being "Joe Normal" racing on weekends, and then working a 9-5 job for 20 years just to MAKE the FIRST million - which one would many folks choose?

Likewise, I will add, his cheating likely paid for his children - literally.  He has kids he thought he would never have because he had the cash and connections - from cheating - to get the treatment/help he needed to have kids.

I saw the first half of it tonight (unfortunately due to OT hockey it started late, and my recording stopped too early. Will re-record on Sunday.). Paraphrasing his message of “Dope or go home, and I didn’t want to go home” was some raw emotion. I don’t believe he was a dick for so many years because he wanted to get caught, as he claimed he’s learned in therapy, but he wasn’t as unlikeable in this interview as when I last heard him speak.

12 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t believe he was a dick for so many years because he wanted to get caught, as he claimed he’s learned in therapy, but he wasn’t as unlikeable in this interview as when I last heard him speak.

I listen to his podcast, and there are definitely still MANY times where his inner dickhead comes out.  And his hypocrisy and creative history retelling.

One example was of his criticism of Nibali in the Giro. Early on, Nibali often publicly said that Roglic was just sitting on his wheel and ignoring the rest of the peloton (which really hurt him, BTW).  Lance got all pissy about trash talk and being public with comments like Nibali's, but I well remember LA being both a trash talker and a public instigator.  He thinks his was "different", and Nibali just needed to shut up and ride. 

So, the dickishness is still there.