Lance Armstrong to pay US government $5 million to settle lawsuit

dinneR

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/19/us/lance-armstrong-settlement/index.html

The original complaint was filed in June 2010 by Armstrong's former teammate, Floyd Landis. He admitted that he'd used PEDs as part of the team and filed his complaint under the False Claims Act -- otherwise known as the whistleblower law, which allows private citizens to file lawsuits on behalf of the government if they know the government is being defrauded.

The complaint was filed under a certain provision that will allow him to share in the money recovered by the government, the release said. Landis will receive $1.1 million.

I am bummed, I expected entertaining news stories about the trial and legal analysis throughout, going on for weeks.  Cycling was IS way more exciting with Lance in it.  Face it, it just is.  

The government got exactly what they hoped for with Lance when he was riding, they have no room to bitch and moan and extract money from him now, although they have extracted some.  I am sure it was worth it for Lance and almost everyone else involved to settle, except that psycho bitch idiot Betsy Andreu, who never did and never will shut the fuck up about the only thing making her worthy of any attention, ever.   Frankie would have been better off without ever having met her, of this I am sure.

Anyway, though, it really wasn't in anyone's interest except the media to keep it going, so it is probably good that it is over.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I am bummed, I expected entertaining news stories about the trial and legal analysis throughout, going on for weeks.  Cycling was IS way more exciting with Lance in it.  Face it, it just is.  

The government got exactly what they hoped for with Lance when he was riding, they have no room to bitch and moan and extract money from him now, although they have extracted some.  I am sure it was worth it for Lance and almost everyone else involved to settle, except that psycho bitch idiot Betsy Andreu, who never did and never will shut the fuck up about the only thing making her worthy of any attention, ever.   Frankie would have been better off without ever having met her, of this I am sure.

Anyway, though, it really wasn't in anyone's interest except the media to keep it going, so it is probably good that it is over.

Furthermore, they should reinstate his victories, or at least the ones outside the statute of limitations that they stripped him of for being an arrogant ass.  Being an arrogant ass is essentially LA, and is not illegal.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Right but Nike, Oakley & Trek didn't take him to court with the argument they paid millions into a fraudulent program.  They just dropped his ass when the lie was revealed.

Yup, and those three companies sold a lot of apparel, glasses & bikes based on the LA craze. And they're still selling.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Yup, and those three companies sold a lot of apparel, glasses & bikes based on the LA craze. And they're still selling.

I wonder what Treks sales numbers looked like before, during Lances TDF run vs after?  You can make the argument LA put Trek on the map as it was just a niche bike company before it struck gold with LA.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I wonder what Treks sales numbers looked like before, during Lances TDF run vs after?  You can make the argument LA put Trek on the map as it was just a niche bike company before it struck gold with LA.

That would be interesting information. I've often wondered what impact a (at the time) 7-time TdF winner does to a bike company's sales. I know people (true cyclists) who bought Trek a decade before LA was known. But I'm sure there are people who bought Trek because of LA.

2 hours ago, pedalphile said:

This is just an American's delusion old sport.

True dat. England hated that period so much they set up their own advanced doping program to counter it. Once LA retired, we got a couple years before the Brit doping machine took over and returned us to the same old "boring" TdF routine. Only now, American fanboys have been replaced by Brit fanboys :(  Same game. Same tactics. Same old cheating.

Tom

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

True dat. England hated that period so much they set up their own advanced doping program to counter it. Once LA retired, we got a couple years before the Brit doping machine took over and returned us to the same old "boring" TdF routine. Only now, American fanboys have been replaced by Brit fanboys :(  Same game. Same tactics. Same old cheating.

Tom

Yeap, and I stopped watching and following it then.  It was way to much of a script I've seen before and we know how it ends.  Also makes for really boring racing just watching the train roll through the race with no real challenge from anyone, yeah you get some token challenges be never a real true threat.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Not really. Trek was big before LA. They bought Fisher, Bontrager, Klein, and had an agreement to build and sell LeMonds. Their facility in WI was huge. They were leading the way in carbon frames. They had their own stores. I'm not sure they were #1 like they are now, but they were big.

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Yeah, it is much better with Cavendish forces his way into gaps and crashes and gets people tossed from events...  Much better sport there.

Don't know about better for sport, but certainly more exciting to watch.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, dennis said:

Did anyone even read the article? This lawsuit came from Floyd. He turned in Lance. Doper turns in a doper and walks away with $1.1 mil to invest in his pot growing business. It's kind of hilarious.

But that is why if you are dirty, you should never be an ass to people who know it.  Lance got exactly what he deserved.  I didn't read the article, don't need to as I followed this all closely back when anyone actually cared.  It's been drawn out so long now, most people lost interest.

24 minutes ago, dennis said:

Did anyone even read the article? This lawsuit came from Floyd. He turned in Lance. Doper turns in a doper and walks away with $1.1 mil to invest in his pot growing business. It's kind of hilarious.

There is no honor amongst criminals.

• Heart 1

Just now, Razors Edge said:

FIFY.  These guys were (are) cheating at a game.  Not robbing a bank at gun point and killing folks.

Tom

No, by cheating at the game, and receiving money, they were stealing.  And LA did attempt to ruin peoples lives.
Sadly, I now will forever think that if you are winning at team road cycling, you are cheating.
I feel much the same way about most high dollar sports.  When the reward is so great and the window is so small, I fear that for many the rules do not apply.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

No, by cheating at the game, and receiving money, they were stealing.  And LA did attempt to ruin peoples lives.
Sadly, I now will forever think that if you are winning at team road cycling, you are cheating.
I feel much the same way about most high dollar sports.  When the reward is so great and the window is so small, I fear that for many the rules do not apply.

It took Lance to convince you of that????? Wow. Just WOW.

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

It took Lance to convince you of that????? Wow. Just WOW.

Tom

To be fair, it was Lance that got me interested in the TdF and other races.  I did not really tune in before that, so I had no frame of reference and did not know the history of the sport.

But as an american college football fan, I developed the view that I espoused above.  If any team is winning consistently at any activity with a huge financial reward, they are cheating, paying for players, players are taking PEDs, etc.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

To be fair, it was Lance that got me interested in the TdF and other races.  I did not really tune in before that, so I had no frame of reference and did not know the history of the sport.

But as an american college football fan, I developed the view that I espoused above.  If any team is winning consistently at any activity with a huge financial reward, they are cheating, paying for players, players are taking PEDs, etc.

What teams are left for you to like?

Tom

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What teams are left for you to like?

Tom

I like the Texas Aggies and the Dallas Cowboys in football.  I like the Dallas Stars and the Pittsburg Penguins in hockey.  I really do not care for baseball, soccer / football, basketball, so I do not follow any teams.  I still watch the TdF and my allegiance varies, but I realize that in all of the above that the teams view the rules as a very loose set of guidelines.

High school sports may, and I am not sure about that in many cases, the last home of true amateur sports.  But with the cost of college, I think that many there push the rules in pursuit of a scholarship.  

1 hour ago, dennis said:

It is rich with irony, contradicts the saying that cheats don't prosper.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

But that is why if you are dirty, you should never be an ass to people who know it.  Lance got exactly what he deserved.  I didn't read the article, don't need to as I followed this all closely back when anyone actually cared.  It's been drawn out so long now, most people lost interest.

Exactly, Floyd got popped, kept his mouth shut, served his time and then asked LA & Johan for a job at Radioshack and they told him to fuck off so he filed the lawsuit and the govt piled on.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

It is rich with irony, contradicts the saying that cheats don't prosper.

It's more an odd quirk of circumstance. US Postal is a govt agency so Floyd filed a federal govt whistleblower lawsuit which entitled him to a % of the award. 

Had the team been sponsored by any other company no $$$ for Floyd.  I read Floyd has to pay a Fat wad of cash to the people who backed him when he was fighting his case.

I also read Lances legal fees exceeded $15M, $5M for the settlement and $1.6 to cover Floyd's legal fees.  That's  $22M to put this to rest...

41 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Exactly, Floyd got popped, kept his mouth shut, served his time and then asked LA & Johan for a job at Radioshack and they told him to fuck off so he filed the lawsuit and the govt piled on.

Lance's arrogance once again bit him in the ass. All that they really had to do was put Floyd in charge of a bike shop somewhere, he would have been happy enough just having some source of income after racing.

This whole thread seems like NEWS to me though. :default_sissy-fight-smiley:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Lance's arrogance once again bit him in the ass. All that they really had to do was put Floyd in charge of a bike shop somewhere, he would have been happy enough just having some source of income after racing.

This whole thread seems like NEWS to me though. :default_sissy-fight-smiley:

Floyd has a new job.

http://dirtragmag.com/floyd-landis-launches-new-cannabis-company-in-colorado/

landis2.jpg

39 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think much of Floyd's award will go towards paying of legal bills. He was pretty destitute for awhile.