This Is A Thing?!?!?

ChrisL

Met someone at a Starbucks this morning, ordered a LG coffee with a little ice in it to cool it off.  Barista: Ice on the bottom or the top?  Me: Can you keep it in the middle so it melts faster? Barista: Now you are being a smart ass....

She was serious?!?!?  It matters where you put 3 blocks of ice to cool coffee?!?! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Met someone at a Starbucks this morning, ordered a LG coffee with a little ice in it to cool it off.  Barista: Ice on the bottom or the top?  Me: Can you keep it in the middle so it melts faster? Barista: Now you are being a smart ass....

She was serious?!?!?  It matters where you put 3 blocks of ice to cool coffee?!?! 

It might. Are you planning an experiment?

AND IT ISN'T A LARGE!!!!! :angry:

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Dunno, They'll float to the top anywhich way you put them in. Maybe they'll melt faster if they're put in first.

Oh, Forgot. You're in Cali

It's a THING, ChrisL Kardashian.

Right, everyone in Cali lives the Kardashian life... I forgot. ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, 2Far said:

I guess when you order a "Large; Half caf, quarter arabian, quarter monkey shit blue; 1/3 soy, 1/3 coconut, 1/3 half & half; 1/2 filtered, 1/2 tap; no foam; gently stirred; frappimochahazilnilla" hot beverage, it matters wtf the ice goes.

Oh forgot "no foam".

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I guess when you order a "Large; Half caf, quarter arabian, quarter monkey shit blue; 1/3 soy, 1/3 coconut, 1/3 half & half; 1/2 filtered, 1/2 tap; no foam; gently stirred; frappimochahazilnilla" hot beverage, it matters wtf the ice goes.

I'm sure I completely threw her off by asking for a "large coffee".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah it's a freaking large.  I don't speak Starbucks.... The experiment was don't burn your lips while talking to the guy...

Yet you called her a barista! Sweet jeebus.  They have gotten you and you don't even realize it.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yet you called her a barista! Sweet jeebus.  They have gotten you and you don't even realize it.

Tom

Yeah, I love how that is apparently now a real profession and they act like you should be impressed by what they do.

When ever I hear someone say that's what they are, I like to reply "So like a Starbucks server" and then see the look on their face.  Of course I then play it off as just trying to make sure I understand what you mean.

No idea why people think I'm an asshole.

• Haha 1

As a master chemist I would say that bottom ice would float to the top fast enough that no appreciable difference would occur from putting it at the top unless it was a combination of coffee and layers of other stuff that limited how fast the ice could rise.

On the other hand, strange simple phenomena have been hard to explain on occasion. A debate raged for years in the Letters to the Editor in the monthly magazine of the American Chemical Society, Chemical and Engineering News, after a chemist in South Africa related his experience while rushing to make homemade ice cream with his son and the son's friend before going to a sports event.

One of the two ice cream batches had not cooled off as much as the other before they put them in a freezer, but when they got home after the event the hotter ice cream had cooled the most and had frozen harder.

The debate was whether the fact that the hotter ice cream would have experienced an initial faster rate of cooling due to the initial larger temperature difference of ice cream and freezer temperature according to Newton's Law of Cooling and if that somehow created some kind of Thermal Engine that triggered some kind of Carnot Cycle (Carnot was the guy who figured out how energy efficiencies work) that kept the hotter ice cream cooling faster after it reached the same temperature as the other batch.

Certified chemists came up with weird-but-plausible explanations that defied refutation.

So I don't know. Ask her next time what the difference is!

24 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

As a master chemist I would say that bottom ice would float to the top fast enough that no appreciable difference would occur from putting it at the top unless it was a combination of coffee and layers of other stuff that limited how fast the ice could rise.

On the other hand, strange simple phenomena have been hard to explain on occasion. A debate raged for years in the Letters to the Editor in the monthly magazine of the American Chemical Society, Chemical and Engineering News, after a chemist in South Africa related his experience while rushing to make homemade ice cream with his son and the son's friend before going to a sports event.

One of the two ice cream batches had not cooled off as much as the other before they put them in a freezer, but when they got home after the event the hotter ice cream had cooled the most and had frozen harder.

The debate was whether the fact that the hotter ice cream would have experienced an initial faster rate of cooling due to the initial larger temperature difference of ice cream and freezer temperature according to Newton's Law of Cooling and if that somehow created some kind of Thermal Engine that triggered some kind of Carnot Cycle (Carnot was the guy who figured out how energy efficiencies work) that kept the hotter ice cream cooling faster after it reached the same temperature as the other batch.

Certified chemists came up with weird-but-plausible explanations that defied refutation.

I read the whole thing and got:

Ice cream

Ask her next time.

:P

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Ah, but the warmer ice cream would have less volume after the same amount of time. Similar to how warm water freezes quicker too? But like you write, a few explanations exist beyond my evaporation favorite.

Tom