So did I ever tell ya'll about my $10 Cannondale?

jsharr

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

not that I recall, is that about a 1985?

1983, first year they made a complete bike.  Serial number begins with AA

3 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

do tell please :)

A friend of mine was clearing out a house that his grandparents owned and that he had been living in.  They decided to sell the house and he had a garage sale.  Called me and said he had a road bike that his step father had left there and he would take $10 for it.  I figured it would be some gas pipe big box store bike.

Drove over on a Saturday AM and there sits a dusty Cannondale in pretty good shape.  I tell him it is worth more, but he says $10.

I loaded in the back of the car and drove home.  Surprisingly, the tires held air.  All I have done to it is rewrap the bars, replaced the tires and tubes and repacked the bearings and lubed and adjusted the drive train.

The only real issue is some scratching on the non drive side seat stay that is down to bare metal.  It has that classic, smooth feel, or at least it is smooth to me, as I am a clydesdale.  I have never found aluminum to be harsh.  

cannondale002.jpg

cannondale006.jpg

cannondale007.jpg

cannondale009.jpg

• Heart 3

That's a great find. Definitely worth more than a ten-spot. It looks in great shape and I like the color. I was thinking earlier than 1985, but forgot what year they began bikes (I know it was in the early to mid '80s). Are you going to keep it, ride it, or flip it?

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

That's a great find. Definitely worth more than a ten-spot. It looks in great shape and I like the color. I was thinking earlier than 1985, but forgot what year they began bikes (I know it was in the early to mid '80s). Are you going to keep it, ride it, or flip it?

It hangs in the garage and I ride it is much as I ride the other bikes....  Now that Ryan is bigger, I have it and the Trek 1200 and the Falcon of England (another garage sale find) so the boys and I could go on a road bike ride together...

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

It hangs in the garage and I ride it is much as I ride the other bikes....  Now that Ryan is bigger, I have it and the Trek 1200 and the Falcon of England (another garage sale find) so the boys and I could go on a road bike ride together...

Nice. I remember the Trek 1200

btw, I wanted this...I actually liked the color :)

IMG_20120727_071222.jpg