So did I ever tell ya'll about my $10 Falcon of England?

jsharr

So in this episode of "jsharr is a lucky bastard" we will look at my 1980ish Falcon of England.  Main tubes are Reynolds 501

Was on a ride with Cuda2K of BikeForums and as we get back to Richardson Bike Mart (RBM), he asks me if I saw the bikes at the garage sale.  I didn't so we turn around and ride back to the sale.

The lady has a road bike sitting against the fence, marked $20.  I told her I wanted it but I only had $10 with me and I needed to ride back to the bike shop and get my car.

She also had a Trek 400 Elance  for $20 that Cuda bought.

Anyway, when we get back to pick them up, she tells me the bike was her fathers and he had passed away, but that he bought if from RBM in the 80's.  I told her what a nice bike it was and I tried to pay pay the other $10 but she said not to worry about it, she was glad her dad's bike was going to a good home and would be used.

Cuda2k had just upgraded the drive train on one of his bikes and had a used older Shimano 105 groupset sitting around.  So I bought a set of Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs and the 105 set from Cuda.  I stripped it down to the bare frame and then rebuilt it from the ground up with the newer 105 group set, all new cables and housing, new saddle, new bars and wrap.

Here is what it looks like today.

falcon.png

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So in this episode of "jsharr is a lucky bastard" we will look at my 1980ish Falcon of England.  Main tubes are Reynolds 501

Was on a ride with Cuda2K of BikeForums and as we get back to Richardson Bike Mart (RBM), he asks me if I saw the bikes at the garage sale.  I didn't so we turn around and ride back to the sale.

The lady has a road bike sitting against the fence, marked $20.  I told her I wanted it but I only had $10 with me and I needed to ride back to the bike shop and get my car.

She also had a Trek 400 Elance  for $20 that Cuda bought.

Anyway, when we get back to pick them up, she tells me the bike was her fathers and he had passed away, but that he bought if from RBM in the 80's.  I told her what a nice bike it was and I tried to pay pay the other $10 but she said not to worry about it, she was glad her dad's bike was going to a good home and would be used.

Cuda2k had just upgraded the drive train on one of his bikes and had a used older Shimano 105 groupset sitting around.  So I bought a set of Mavic Open Pros with Ultegra hubs and the 105 set from Cuda for around.  So I stripped it down to the bare frame and then rebuilt it from the ground up with the newer 105 group set, all new cables and housing, new saddle, new bars and wrap.

Here is what it looks like today.

falcon.png

Very cool!  I always scan garage sales for similar type deals.

• Heart 1