traffic

dinneR

2 hours ago, Further said:

I think getting chased by a bison would be motivating...

A few years ago my two daughters, WoJSTL, and I were going to do some hiking in the Wichita Mountains near Fort Sill, OK. We were in two different vehicles. My daughter drives around a bend into a parking area. Next thing I know, she is accelerating rapidly in reverse. A buffalo is trotting towards her minivan. We still laugh about it.

• Heart 1

Nice picture. The first time I was in Yellowstone National Park I had never seen Bison on a road - I had only ever seen them off the road in Custer State Park, SD.

I was staying at the Range Rider's Lodge in Silvergate, Montana near the NE entrance and driving back to it after dark on an unlit one-lane-each-way road after a day in Yellowstone Park.

I was foolishly going something like 40 mph on the figure-8 road that leads to the Lamar Valley road when a driver approaching me began flicking his high beams on and off rapidly.

I slowed down just in time to see a big Bison walking down the road in front of me and with no desire to get out of my way. I slowly drove around him and thanked the Fates for the luck of that other car being in the right place and time to teach me a lesson - one I never forgot!

• Heart 1

I had to wait for a few of those to cross the road last weekend in Yellowstone.  The traffic this weekend was of the non-motorized variety in Teton Park.  The road looked like the I-405 at rush hour, except with bikes and cars.  There were more cars parked at the trailhead, and down the road to Windy Point than I have ever seen before.

26 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I watched a nice Nat Geo show on the Grand Canyon.  It said those "bison" are not the original ones, they were introduced a while ago and are mixed with cattle.  Beefalo?

I have never heard that but I would guess Beefalo would be safer around tourons. I worked for a doctor for awhile that had a hobby of raising exotic animals and he raised pure American Bison (among other things). They were great to look at but definitely not tame. 

My traffic jam yesterday was two road construction detours that put us deep in Amish country. All the Amish were in their buggies on the way to church and not expecting car traffic. A lot of them just left the horse use whatever part of the road they wanted and it was hard to get around them.

18 hours ago, dennis said:

The forest service roads open May 1. 

You just reminded me I gotta check a seasonal road near here. It’s a really neat road that follows a ravine. It’s narrow - maybe a car-and-a-half wide. The sides are almost vertical and it’s really tight switchbacks at the top. About halfway up, it’s gated off until May 1.

A couple of years ago, I was out for a spring ride, In April. The snow was long gone. I headed up that road. When I got to the gate, I thought “how stupid.....” and went around it.

About fifty yards up the road, I stopped. 

“Oh....” 

In the narrow switchback part of the road, there was still about 2’ of snow.

The sides of the ravine are so steep, the sun can’t really reach the bottom, even with the leaves gone off the trees.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I just tried my access "road" to the Airline Trail yesterday.  It's muddy enough to sink in above the ankles still.  I think it will be another month before it drys out.  I was walking and I didn't get far enough down to where it's usually standing water this time of year.

They were dumping truckloads of gravel on the road I live on all last week. It's not too bad right now in a four wheel drive, I'm not going to try it on my bike.:runcirclsmiley:

9 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

I had to wait for a few of those to cross the road last weekend in Yellowstone.  The traffic this weekend was of the non-motorized variety in Teton Park.  The road looked like the I-405 at rush hour, except with bikes and cars.  There were more cars parked at the trailhead, and down the road to Windy Point than I have ever seen before.

It was the busiest I've seen. Sat was a free day. Fri I rode from town to Signal and back. Sat, my GF and I parked at Windy Point and rode to Signal and back. There were so many families out, it was pretty cool. We thought about going YNP, but I think the south entrance is still closed and they were opening the other roads to cars. I've never ridden my bike there. 

One more week of having the roads open without cars. 

I believe those Bison KNOW they are annoying drivers, they make a point of getting in the road and not moving.  The rangers often have to use their trucks to push them off the road and let traffic through.  Got caught in a "parade" once, about 60 or 70 of them walking through the traffic.  I was sitting up pretty high in my van, had the window open, pretty much every one would turn and snort at me as it walked by.   Thought a few were going to take my mirrors off on purpose.

10 minutes ago, 12string said:

I believe those Bison KNOW they are annoying drivers, they make a point of getting in the road and not moving.  The rangers often have to use their trucks to push them off the road and let traffic through.  Got caught in a "parade" once, about 60 or 70 of them walking through the traffic.  I was sitting up pretty high in my van, had the window open, pretty much every one would turn and snort at me as it walked by.   Thought a few were going to take my mirrors off on purpose.

They definitely know what they are doing. During hunting season, they stayed out of the hunting zone this year. Very few were shot. Usually there is enough snow to drive them out of the park into the hunting zone. Once the hunting season ended, they moved moved into the hunting zone.

There is a road in northern Maine, I think it's called the Airline, no idea why.

One of my wife's coworkers was driving along it when a big buck moose trotted right in front of him.

Surprisingly, he didn't die, but he did have to wait for a few hours until they could cut him out of the car.

21 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

A few years ago my two daughters, WoJSTL, and I were going to do some hiking in the Wichita Mountains near Fort Sill, OK. We were in two different vehicles. My daughter drives around a bend into a parking area. Next thing I know, she is accelerating rapidly in reverse. A buffalo is trotting towards her minivan. We still laugh about it.

We took a drive through Wichita mountains when we went to Ft Sill for my sons graduation. Did the drive up Mt Scott. I kept saying it would be fun to ride up that road. At the top we talked to a guy who was on his 3rd ride up that day.

3 hours ago, Zackny said:

We took a drive through Wichita mountains when we went to Ft Sill for my sons graduation. Did the drive up Mt Scott. I kept saying it would be fun to ride up that road. At the top we talked to a guy who was on his 3rd ride up that day.

My youngest daughter was going to college down in Wichita Falls where it's flat as can be. Her team would try to get up to Mt. Scott about once every two weeks for mountain training.