I may have just screwed up big time

jsharr

Just pushed the checkout button at Amazon.  Will have 16GB of Crucial ddr3l 1600 sodimm and a new Crucial MX500 500GB ssd for the laptop on Monday.   Done plenty of memory upgrades, so no worries there, but I have never closed and replaced a drive before.

So do I attempt this myself or call my IT company and have them do the clone and install?

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

So do I attempt this myself or call my IT company and have them do the clone and install?

If you call IT, you'll have to hand in your man card. You can only call for help once you have screwed it up really bad and have an excuse like there was a thunderstorm in the area.

Or you maybe surprise yourself and install it just fine.

• Heart 2

So I cheated and watched an install video at crucial.com.  Turns out I need a SATA to USB cable thingee to clone the HDD to the SDD.  I did not order one of those:runcirclsmiley:

Luckily the giant warrior woman site has them at the same price as Crucial and can deliver one tomorrow!  :loveshower:

Crucial even has a phone app to walk you through the process, so I may screw up my phone and my laptop tomorrow! 

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So I cheated and watched an install video at crucial.com.  Turns out I need a SATA to USB cable thingee to clone the HDD to the SDD.  I did not order one of those:runcirclsmiley:

Luckily the giant warrior woman site has them at the same price as Crucial and can deliver one tomorrow!  :loveshower:

Crucial even has a phone app to walk you through the process, so I may screw up my phone and my laptop tomorrow! 

I thought you were going to say "screw up my big boy pants and give it a try".:whistle: Hey, you are an Aggie, and it is not much different from fixing a flat and putting the spare wheel on backwards.:)

• Heart 1

I like my computer case, it only weighs about 12 pounds.

so when I upgrade, I buy parts, and then take them down to a computer shop, and have them put it in.

I realises this will massively degrade my rep as a nerd, but I am afraid I am all thumbs where computers are concerned.

Actually, it's not just computers. At today's prices, I once watched a $300 stereo cartridge go flying across the room. After it slipped from my fingers...

Fortunately there was a guy in England who can fix the things.

21 hours ago, jsharr said:

Just pushed the checkout button at Amazon.  Will have 16GB of Crucial ddr3l 1600 sodimm and a new Crucial MX500 500GB ssd for the laptop on Monday.   Done plenty of memory upgrades, so no worries there, but I have never closed and replaced a drive before.

Easy peasy. Labdaddy would mock you for waiting to do this upgrade.  

Download the free Mini Partition Magic app, hook the new SSD to the USB dongle doodad, and let it do its thing.  Then, pop open the laptop, drop in the HD, and reboot.  If all goes well, add the RAM next and boot up. If all goes well again, button it all back up again. Save the old HD as a good archive and easy swap if shit goes sideways.

Tom

6 minutes ago, late said:

I like my computer case, it only weighs about 12 pounds.

so when I upgrade, I buy parts, and then take them down to a computer shop, and have them put it in.

I realises this will massively degrade my rep as a nerd, but I am afraid I am all thumbs where computers are concerned.

Actually, it's not just computers. At today's prices, I once watched a $300 stereo cartridge go flying across the room. After it slipped from my fingers...

Fortunately there was a guy in England who can fix the things.

I recently was in charge of having a FAST computer built for recording our system in action.  It has three drives.  An SSD for the boot drive and then the normal C drive for programs and stuff and then a 4 TB video storage drive.

I was out of town on a scouting trip and the boss calls me to tell me it will not boot up.  He has had our programmer with the MBA looking at it.  They have been in the bios and cannot find the boot drive.

I get back to the office on Monday, turn the power off, take off the side cover and find that the SATA cable to the SSD was loose.  Plug it back in, button up the machine and Image result for viola emoji, it starts right up.

• Heart 2

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Which jackazz didn't install that cable properly? They should be publicly humiliated!

Tom

The builder.  The cables to link the drives are so damn short that you have to remove all three drives, connect the cables (which do not appear to "click" and lock in) and then slide all three drives back into the drive bays at one time.  Had to get another geek to help me.  But I had the joy of fixing it when the MBA and the boss never thought to actually look at the drives.  If they had, they would have seen three drives in the machine and the BIOS only showing two drives.  As soon at they said it only had two drives, I knew what was wrong.

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The builder.  The cables to link the drives are so damn short that you have to remove all three drives, connect the cables (which do not appear to "click" and lock in) and then slide all three drives back into the drive bays at one time.  Had to get another geek to help me.  But I had the joy of fixing it when the MBA and the boss never thought to actually look at the drives.  If they had, they would have seen three drives in the machine and the BIOS only showing two drives.  As soon at they said it only had two drives, I knew what was wrong.

It does sort of raise the question of "programmer with an MBA".  I've worked with MANY programmers, and it is definitely a minority that know the HW side of things. I've worked with MANY MBAs over the years, and it is a minuscule amount that know HW (or SW), so if your programmer guy was busy getting his MBA, it is doubtful he would be learning anything HW related.

Count yourself lucky he didn't damage the system "fixing" it!

Tom

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It does sort of raise the question of "programmer with an MBA".  I've worked with MANY programmers, and it is definitely a minority that know the HW side of things. I've worked with MANY MBAs over the years, and it is a minuscule amount that know HW (or SW), so if your programmer guy was busy getting his MBA, it is doubtful he would be learning anything HW related.

Count yourself lucky he didn't damage the system "fixing" it!

Tom

To be fair, he is not our real programmer, he designs the algos that make our system work.  His partner, the other founder, does all the coding.  Not sure that either one would have found this.

I started a computer upgrade over a year ago. I got a 1070 video card and a new power supply.

Been sitting on the fence since. While there have been a lot of changes, the time never feels right. It's getting closer, there's competition in the M.2 world, and that's driving prices down. Basically want to get a killer rig, and then keep it for several years.

Saw an article this morning about modifying Skyrim for VR. A 100 mods, and that would not include the couple dozen player mods I have.

https://uploadvr.com/skyrim-vr-differences-100-mods/

I still don't feel like VR is ready for prime time. The killer app isn't there, and there is only one 2nd gen device out there, and it has teething issues. Not to mention that it's obscenely expensive.

But it does make me feel like ordering a few more parts, gettin' the old ducks in row.

Static Disk Drives are the way to go.  They are starting to become the default hardware in some laptops.  I know my Chromebook has one and I absolutely love surfing the web and posting crap on this site using it.  I just open the lid -- and presto!  Instant opportunity to be enriched by guys like kazabooboo.  

On 2018-04-23 at 11:29 AM, Razors Edge said:

Easy peasy. Labdaddy would mock you for waiting to do this upgrade.  

Download the free Mini Partition Magic app, hook the new SSD to the USB dongle doodad, and let it do its thing.  Then, pop open the laptop, drop in the HD, and reboot.  If all goes well, add the RAM next and boot up. If all goes well again, button it all back up again. Save the old HD as a good archive and easy swap if shit goes sideways.

Tom

I prefer Don.