@#$?&*$#@

The igniters in my gas grill have been acting up, getting progressively worse. It was finally down to one and even that was clicking fairly slowly. I checked for grease in them.....nope, they’re clean. I figure they’re kaput, so I check the Weber site and yeah, they have a replacement unit.

I stop in at the place where I bought the grill. The guy* has a hard time finding out which unit it is, so I pull up the Weber site on my phone and show it to him. ? He’s reluctant to sell it to me, because he thinks it might be the battery. Fair enough. I ask him where the hell the battery lives, because I looked all over the place and couldn’t find it. He doesn’t know. 

I go home, dig through the Weber site and find out the battery lives under the knob. (Right where I would have looked). I replace the battery. It clicks much faster now, but still, only one igniter is working. I decide to replace the igniters and start looking at how to discombobulate them.

Oh.....there’s the problem.....”

@#$*&# mice have eaten the insulation on the igniter wires.....:angry:. I have no idea why - other than to piss me off - because the wires are really tucked in (which means they’re going to be a treat to replace) so it’s not like they had grease on them. 

I hope the insulation was asbestos.

*“the guy” was not the usual guy I deal with. He could have told me what the part number was, where the battery was and what the person who installed it had for lunch, off the top of his head.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Well, I just replaced the gas tubes on my Weber and it seems that the igniters aren't positioned quite right.  Now I have to let the gas flow for about 10 seconds before it will light.  I did resort once to using the pilot light flame hole in the grill bucket next to the igniters once.  Good thing I was under the grill.  :whistle:

• Haha 1

I replace the battery under the knob about once a year, whether it needs it our not.

I send the not-quite-depleted batteries to Ralph, taped to a concrete block, freight collect. He thinks he's being frugal.

The feckin' squirrels have gnawed on my NG line twice.. Feckers

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

That's what I use.

I actually use a propane torch. I also use it for lighting my charcoal chimney and my propane burner, too. Got sick of buying butane lighters that have like, three butane molecules in them and are empty after you flick them twice.

I've owned a number of grills. Never liked any of them as much as I loved my 70s era hibachi. I can't find a good hibachi now.

I've stopped grilling, although, if I could find a really good hibachi, I might.

I use a slow oven now. Depending on how much time I have, I'll cook from 240F to 280F. For a steak, or something you want browned, you put the meat in  410 oven for about 10 minutes, then turn the heat down under 300. If you've never tried 240, you really should.

I love the consistency of the end result.

I'm constantly changing things, but my usual with steak is salt, pepper and garlic powder. My fave way to cook chicken is equal parts BBQ sauce and minced dried apricots, in a slow oven, 300 or a litle less. Depends on when I start.

1 minute ago, late said:

I've owned a number of grills. Never liked any of them as much as I loved my 70s era hibachi. I can't find a good hibachi now.

I've stopped grilling, although, if I could find a really good hibachi, I might.

I use a slow oven now. Depending on how much time I have, I'll cook from 240F to 280F. For a steak, or something you want browned, you put the meat in  410 oven for about 10 minutes, then turn the heat down under 300. If you've never tried 240, you really should.

I love the consistency of the end result.

I'm constantly changing things, but my usual with steak is salt, pepper and garlic powder. My fave way to cook chicken is equal parts BBQ sauce and minced dried apricots, in a slow oven, 300 or a litle less. Depends on when I start.

I need to come up with a sugar free BBQ sauce recipe, if anyone has one, that would be quite helpful.

Sometimes it seems like the way the bolts, etc. are arranged was designed so that you have to hire a professional to fix it.

Year's back, someone busted (probably kids by accident) the driver's-side side-view mirror on my 1997 Ford Taurus. The local dealer wanted $300 to fix it, but I got the mirror with motor and electric leads on eBay for around $50.  I had no trouble popping-off the upholstery on the interior of the door, etc. to get to it and I had wrenches that fit the three nuts holding the mirror on.  But one of the three nuts was behind a solid, 1"+ wide strip of metal.  The position of the bolt and nut had NOTHING to do with stability, in fact it would probably have been better elsewhere.  But I had no tools to get to the nut and that was probably the idea!  Fortunately, my brother-in-law has tons of auto tools and had one of those goose-neck, flexible wrenches and we did the replacement in 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Sometimes it seems like the way the bolts, etc. are arranged was designed so that you have to hire a professional to fix it.

Year's back, someone busted (probably kids by accident) the driver's-side side-view mirror on my 1997 Ford Taurus. The local dealer wanted $300 to fix it, but I got the mirror with motor and electric leads on eBay for around $50.  I had no trouble popping-off the upholstery on the interior of the door, etc. to get to it and I had wrenches that fit the three nuts holding the mirror on.  But one of the three nuts was behind a solid, 1"+ wide strip of metal.  The position of the bolt and nut had NOTHING to do with stability, in fact it would probably have been better elsewhere.  But I had no tools to get to the nut and that was probably the idea!  Fortunately, my brother-in-law has tons of auto tools and had one of those goose-neck, flexible wrenches and we did the replacement in 10 minutes.

I heard our neighborhood mechanic (who retired last year, unfortunately for us) comment several times on how it seemed like Ford intentionally complicated designs of maintenance items...

I've never replaced the ignitor on any gas grill (I am only on my fourth, I think, and this one still works)... once it's crapped out I've always just used a long-handled butane lighter.  I haven't had the issues with those devices that others appear to have had...  

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

You’re a Communist.

Actually one of the things I use the gas grill for is to avoid using the oven. Makes a dandy outdoor oven.

Slow cooking goes back thousands of years, as a way to cook tough foods with minimal energy.

So Commie is just dumb.

Caveman works!