I don't want your damn car warranty!!!!!!!!

shotgun

How do I get this shit to stop? I'm so fucking sick and tired of telemarketers and scammers calling my house I want to stick the damn phone up their asses. They are robodialing multiple times a day. When I have managed to get a person on the line, they hang up as soon as I ask them a question.

Me: "Do you have a do not call list?"

Them: "Yes."

Me: "Can you please put me on it?"

Disconnected.

Me: "My car is leased."

Disconnected.

Me: "Do you have my phone number?"

Disconnected.

I blocked their number, so they started calling with a different number. I blocked that number. Now they're calling with a third number.

NoMoRobo has not helped.

I could cancel my home phone, but that is our protection from certain people calling our cell phones... 

• Heart 1

41j66wWoJDL.jpg

This is what I use. I also bought one for my mother and she says it's one of the presents that she's ever received. It's for land-lines.

https://www.amazon.com/CPR-V5000-Call-Blocker-Robocalls/dp/B0191XMBV2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524527637&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=call+control+blocker&psc=1&smid=A27GZG6PYP7S2Z

For my cell phone I use the Call Control app.

It is hard to fine them when they are calling from Kazahkstan.  Most of them come via the internet and out of the US.  They would be out of business fairly quickly if no one ever gave them any money or information.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

It is hard to fine them when they are calling from Kazahkstan.  Most of them come via the internet and out of the US.  They would be out of business fairly quickly if no one ever gave them any money or information.

That's what I tell my wife. I can't believe that there are people that answer unknown caller calls and actually listen to their spiel and then buy whatever it is that they are selling. The only time I answer an unknown number is if I am expecting a call from a doctor's office (never know where they are going to call from). 

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That's what I tell my wife. I can't believe that there are people that answer unknown caller calls and actually listen to their spiel and then buy whatever it is that they are selling. The only time I answer an unknown number is if I am expecting a call from a doctor's office (never know where they are going to call from). 

Glad I don't have caller ID.:)

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I thought everyone had caller ID, I have had it since it was introduced way back when on landlines. I haven't had a landline for many many years.

:)I still have a rotary dial phone in the hall. I am sure it is on the cell phones, but I don't use it. Answering machine works fine for screening calls on the land line, and I normally just ignore the cell phone, unless I am expecting a call on feed, critters, equipment, etc. My wife seldom answers the phone. :whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

:)I still have a rotary dial phone in the hall. I am sure it is on the cell phones, but I don't use it. Answering machine works fine for screening calls on the land line, and I normally just ignore the cell phone, unless I am expecting a call on feed, critters, equipment, etc. My wife seldom answers the phone. :whistle:

I thought you had one of these. 

old_box_telephone.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I'm on the national Do Not Call List but am getting a couple calls a day. 

I keep getting calls from Adams NY. I don’t know anyone in Adams, and it’s always a different number - so it’s a robocall and they’re spoofing the number.

The one that really pisses me off is the car dealer where I bought my last truck. I had my truck in for service and then got a voicemail that said “...my manager wanted to call me about your Silverado...” I thought there was a service bulletin they’d missed or something so I called back. Nope. They wanted me to bring it in for an appraisal so we could talk about a new truck. :angry: I was so pissed, I made the appointment and then didn’t show up.

About every six months, I get another call from them. They think it’s cute that they can exploit the “previous business relationship” loophole in the Do Not Call Registry, but I’ve blocked the number and when it came time for a new truck, they did NOT get my business. We’ve bought cars from three other dealers and none of them have ever called us to try and sell us something.

So that leaves the only remaining form of revenge........their time.

I get a perverse sense of enjoyment in answering the phone and then setting it on the table next to me.  

"mr maddmaxx, mumble mumble mumble mumble.  Mumble mumble mumble mumble.  Mumble mumble mumble"

"Mumble mumble?"

"Mumble?"

"Mumble?"

"M"?

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

About every six months, I get another call from them. They think it’s cute that they can exploit the “previous business relationship” loophole in the Do Not Call Registry, but I’ve blocked the number and when it came time for a new truck, they did NOT get my business. We’ve bought cars from three other dealers and none of them have ever called us to try and sell us something.

I just got a fancy handwritten card from the Honda dealership that replaced my hairbags on recall. A guy named Mike wants my Element and they made me an offer on it. I'm guessing that offer in contingent on my buying a new Honda from them. Too late, I don't have the Element anymore. They offered five times what the other Honda dealer offered me on the Element. I didn't accept that offer and told them no less than blue book trade in. They whined but agreed to it.

5 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I’m still getting notices in the mail that I need to replace my deathbags immediately! Uh, the Element went in the crusher about five years ago and I’ve told you that four or five times....

Did the deathbags go off in the crusher? I have slammed many deer with my Element and never set off the deathbags.

13 hours ago, shotgun said:

How do I get this shit to stop?

you and me both :angry: and every call is the same..."this is your last chance". Well it's been my last chance for the last 5 years. I've tried blocking, removing from list, etc. Nothing works. Saying I don't have the vehicle...still get calls. There are multiple companies though which kind of  makes it tough to end all.

them "your factory warranty may of expired"

me "no shit, the vehicle is almost 11 year old Sherlock" :wacko:

Once I strung a guy along as if I was interested for about 20 minutes. I negotiated lower rates, asked A LOT of questions and finally said, "I'm not interested". The guy said in a pissed-off voice "well thanks for wasting my time", I then said "now you know how I feel" CLICK :D I'm sure they work on commission since he lost time to make more calls. I'm guessing.  I don't fault the people as an individual because they're doing a job. 

I did some research on this and there are scam companies out there too. Apparently there are IIRC two extended warranty companies that dealers use which are legit, and the prices are fixed. If you can negotiate a price, that's usually a bad sign...again according to a website I was reading.

Also, I get telemarketers for home security & lower visa rates (I pay mine off in full monthly so my APR could be 100% and it wouldn't mater).

35 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Was it wrecked? I've never seen an Element that wasn't worth more than that.

Engine had zero compression. Apparently they don’t take kindly to it when you run out of oil.....?

Mechanic said he found one engine in all of NYS, it was $1500 and had like, 100k on it.  “Okay.....it’s time....”

15 hours ago, shotgun said:

How do I get this shit to stop? I'm so fucking sick and tired of telemarketers and scammers calling my house I want to stick the damn phone up their asses. They are robodialing multiple times a day. When I have managed to get a person on the line, they hang up as soon as I ask them a question.

Me: "Do you have a do not call list?"

Me: "Can you please put me on it?"

Disconnected.

Me: "My car is leased."

Disconnected.

Me: "Do you have my phone number?"

Disconnected.

I blocked their number, so they started calling with a different number. I blocked that number. Now they're calling with a third number.

NoMoRobo has not helped.

I could cancel my home phone, but that is our protection from certain people calling our cell phones... 

Get them on the phone and start asking time wasting questions.

So, if my car throws a belt and that leads to the water pump failing and burning up the engine, will you repaint my car?

Do i have to change the air in the tires for spring, summer, fall and winter or just spring and summer?

Are muffler bearings covered under your warrantly?

Either that or tell them you have some super exotic car or even no car.  I have asked for coverage on my Ferrari and on my bicycle.

Or once you get the process started, start to ask them personal questions or try to convert them to your religion.

Have some fun with it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I'm on the national Do Not Call List but am getting a couple calls a day.  It's disgusting that you can't simply report them to an authority, they check with the phone company and confirm the call, then fine the bastards.

That list is a joke. It's only good for protection from reputable businesses. It's useless to anybody outside the US, or that is spoofing their caller ID.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, shotgun said:

That list is a joke. It's only good for protection from reputable businesses. It's useless to anybody outside the US, or that is spoofing their caller ID.

The spoofing caller ID's is what is really getting out of hand.  Almost every call I get from these telemarketers are spoofed ID's to show the same area code and prefix as my number.  My app to help block them (HIYA) shows them as someones personal cell phone.  Apparently I've even had them use my phone number as I had a lady leave me a long voice message getting pissy about me constantly calling her number trying to solicit something from her.  Yeah, she wasn't a bright one.

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

The spoofing caller ID's is what is really getting out of hand.  Almost every call I get from these telemarketers are spoofed ID's to show the same area code and prefix as my number.  My app to help block them (HIYA) shows them as someones personal cell phone.  Apparently I've even had them use my phone number as I had a lady leave me a long voice message getting pissy about me constantly calling her number trying to solicit something from her.  Yeah, she wasn't a bright one.

Apparently that's what happened to me when I got my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone last month. I didn't yet know that you had to slide the phone answer icon toward the center (why not just tap it?) to answer the phone and I missed a couple calls from the same number. I called the number back and the person who answered had no idea who might have called me.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Apparently that's what happened to me when I got my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone last month. I didn't yet know that you had to slide the phone answer icon toward the center (why not just tap it?) to answer the phone and I missed a couple calls from the same number. I called the number back and the person who answered had no idea who might have called me.

Yeap, they are using kind of a loop hole in laws and it's legal to do it.  The intention of allowing it is for like Doctors and such to be able to call patients from their personal cell phone while out of the office and make it look like they are calling from their office so patients don't end up with their personal cell number.  But telemarketers are taking advantage of it and using random numbers to make it look like it's a local call.  So we don't answer anything with the same area code and prefix as our phones.

• Heart 1

I have similar...calls despite the do no call listing.  The bad part is I am dependent on the phone for business and have actually turned the ringer off, hoping to catch the vibrate or valid calls leave a message. With their call they could be blocking a valid incoming call wanting to know about a $500,000 home for sale or wanting to arrange photography services. But no...letting me know about their product I have absolutely no interest in is far more important. As an example, I don't know when I will ever be interested in their ObamaCare plan when I am receiving Medicare. That was the lat thing on my mind, but they needed to call and tell me about it, potentially costing me money as they block valid customers.

I really would prefer to just be able to not answer anything that comes up with a number instead of a name, but I've been waiting for that Nigerian Embassy representative to call like he said he would in the email.  How many times do i have to ask for his cell number to add to my contacts?

• Haha 2

The two best ideas are to get a device that plays the phone company's tones for the "This number has been disconnected and is no longer in service" message.  Sometimes, the call spammer's war dialer will flag your number to be removed from the call list.  The other good idea is jsharr's - waste as much of their time as you can.  They are not making any money talking to you.

12 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Engine had zero compression. Apparently they don’t take kindly to it when you run out of oil.....?

Mechanic said he found one engine in all of NYS, it was $1500 and had like, 100k on it.  “Okay.....it’s time....”

How many miles did you have on it ? And where did the oil go ?

9 hours ago, Further said:

How many miles did you have on it ? And where did the oil go ?

150,000, maybe? At one point, I lost track of my oil changes and instead of going 10K, I went 20. It went low enough on oil that it wouldn’t run because there wasn’t enough oil for the valve lifters. I drove it for another two years after that, but apparently the damage was done. It got me home one last time and shit the bed right at the end of the driveway.

5 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

150,000, maybe? At one point, I lost track of my oil changes and instead of going 10K, I went 20. It went low enough on oil that it wouldn’t run because there wasn’t enough oil for the valve lifters. I drove it for another two years after that, but apparently the damage was done. It got me home one last time and shit the bed right at the end of the driveway.

Number one cause of engine failure, not making recommended oil changes. Some folks go the other way just to make sure and waste money changing the oil when it's not needed. A friend of mine owns/runs an independent garage, he almost always has a car or two sitting there waiting for him to find a replacement engine, always for the same reason.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Noooo.....oil changes cause blown engines! I know a mechanic who swears every blown engine he’s ever worked on had brand new oil in it. ?

The customer was just trying to cover his ass and make a warranty claim and put in fresh oil after it blew. :frantics:

• Heart 1