Any Vacation Plans?

Kirby

50 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Check out our digs in Squampton.  I am looking forward to taking a long bath in that tub.  The house is beautiful. Very excited.  We also booked a condo in Whistler.  The accommodations are nicer than our home.  :hapydance:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/16238777

Love that kitchen.

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Shit, I'd look forward to pooping in that toilet.

That is what you focus on?  The toilet?  You are a twisted puppy. 

I'm also looking forward to meditating in the garden.  The grounds look very nice.  We are taking a friend, so the room is shared with our buddy that my husband has been friends with since high school.  It should be a good trip.

31 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Amazing!

there is 14,000 ft of climbing in this double.  That would make it the most challenging that I have ridden.  The other that was close to it is the Central Coast double, starting in Paso Robles, then to Cambria, then up the coast past Plaskett.  After that you climb Nacimiento-Fergusson on that route .  Central Coast DC has 13,000 ft of climbing on the lowland route.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Just prior to summer!   NS summer ends August 4. :) 

We’re in NS from July 16-23. PEI after that. We are taking an extra day on the drive home to go around the Gaspe Bay peninsula. One night in Gaspe then to Quebec City for a night then Home.

49 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

there is 14,000 ft of climbing in this double.  That would make it the most challenging that I have ridden.  The other that was close to it is the Central Coast double, starting in Paso Robles, then to Cambria, then up the coast past Plaskett.  After that you climb Nacimiento-Fergusson on that route .  Central Coast DC has 13,000 ft of climbing on the lowland route.

Come east and ride the Tour de Garrett County (MD). On the century there is 16,000 feet of climbing.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Old#7 said:

Come east and ride the Tour de Garrett County (MD). On the century there is 16,000 feet of climbing.

@Zealot mentioned a ride in WV/ MD WITH 15-16k of climbing. Us this the same one?

37 minutes ago, Zackny said:

@Zealot mentioned a ride in WV/ MD WITH 15-16k of climbing. Us this the same one?

I believe that it's the same one. RAAM goes thru there. In 2016, when I did the tour, I met a RAAM racer who dropped out at Deep Creek Lake check point. He looked shell shocked.

On 4/24/2018 at 4:42 PM, Longjohn said:

This makes me think of my favorite cat. I named him Mandu. He was such a nice cat that I spent money on him at the vet for checkups, neutering, shots. He had a litter box inside but he preferred to go outside. Then the coyotes got him. :unhappy:

Cat Mandu. I like it!

My FIL used to have a cat named Cat. 

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, dotman17 said:

Ah Cambria.  I want to go back there -- to be a sloth and not a bike ogre that is.  Good for you AZ.  I'd say it sounds like fun but it actually sounds like hell if you ask me.  I would be so content with a single century on flat terrain.  You da man.

I need to find a couch potato forum. :P

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

There was a team I would see doing the ms-150 every year called “The Couch Potatoes”. They had horrid team kits I think they were white and black and yellow with a checkerboard design. I wonder how many people thought about joining them until they saw the team kits? They sort of looked like awfull pajamas.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:09 AM, Razors Edge said:

Camping throughout the summer relatively local, and a NW camping week hitting N Cascades, Rainier, and/or Olympic NPs.  We'll see.

Tom

A visit to the rain forests in the Olympics is worth the trip. Hoh, Queets, and Quinault. The Hoh is the most impressive. Skip the Queets. The Quinault is awesome, but a storm in the last decade took it's toll on the big trees. Lake Quinault is pretty cool and a meal in the Roosevelt room at Lake Quinault Lodge is pretty damn good. 

Add in a coastal visit to Kalaloch or Ruby beach. You're winning. 

Don't skip Olympic NP.

On 4/23/2018 at 9:49 PM, BuffJim said:

Our big vacation is a 7 night Norwegian cruise with BuffCarla in June out of NY City. Heading to Halifax, Saint John NB, then Bar Harbor and Portland Maine.

Also taking a beach vacation in mid September. 3 nights in Westerly RI with my daughter and then 4 or 5 nights in Rehoboth Beach De or Ocean City MD. 

I live just outside Portland. Not sure what your interests are, but I'll help if I can. You can rent bikes in Bar Harbor, road bikes for the perimeter road, mtn bikes for the carriage trails. See if you can't find a shuttle to take you to the Jordan Pond Tea House. Do your ride, and then have lunch at the Tea House. Order the lobster chowder and popovers. The popovers come with the freshest, best strawberry jam you've ever had. Trust me on this, it's what the locals do. We used to go there every year.

It's funny, two of my fave restaurants in Maine were in the Old Port (where you will be). One was a sushi place, and they've moved. (There's still a really good sushi place in the Old Port, but kinda expensive). But the place we went most often was J's Oyster Bar. The owner got hit with a serious tax fraud charge. I've been meaning to go there, and see if it's still the same. Bet the oysters have gone up. I'll let you know.

There is a restaurant walking tour that starts in the Old Port. Haven't done it, but I want to. They also have one in Bar Harbor. I want to try the Rockaln one, Rockland only became touristy recently, and that would be a good way to check it out.

The museum sucks. There's a nice park in the West End that overlooks the bay. It's walking distance. This where preference comes in, we have some fairly famous restaurants like Street and Duck Fat. But you could also get a couple of big Italian sandwiches at Amatos, and eat them in the park. Amatos claims to have invented the Italian, they've been making them for over a century. In any case, that's an option. There's an Italian specialty shop nearby, Micucci's also on India, and they have a tiny little alcove in the back where you can buy Sicilian slabs, and just a couple other things. The menu is quite limited, and the seating area is microscopic, but it's cheap and good. Back in the Old Port there is Gelato Fiasco, European quality gelato. You can get 3 or even 4 flavors in even their smallest serving. Try the Resurgam, you really ought to go there even if it's just for the free samples.

Next door is 5 Guys, the best burger chain on the East Coast. It not fancy, just a big burger with lots of fixings at a good price.

There's maybe a 100 restaurants within a mile of your dock, spend a little time googling to see what sounds good. When I was a kid, it was still a working port. Good place to get into a fight. I don't know what your SO likes, but there's a number of fancy shoppes.. My wife likes the purses at Portmanteux.

https://www.mainefoodietours.com/

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

22 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Cat Mandu. I like it!

My FIL used to have a cat named Cat. 

My cat was born in Arizona, so I had to name him King Tut.

But yours, that's one of the best cat names I've ever seen.

I hate being out cooled.

2 minutes ago, late said:

I live just outside Portland. Not sure what your interests are, but I'll help if I can. You can rent bikes in Bar Harbor, road bikes for the perimeter road, mtn bikes for the carriage trails. See if you can't find a shuttle to take you to the Jordan Pond Tea House. Do your ride, and then have lunch at the Tea House. Order the lobster chowder and popovers. The popovers come with the freshest, best strawberry jam you've ever had. Trust me on this, it's what the locals do. We used to go there every year.

It's funny, two of my fave restaurants in Maine were in the Old Port (where you will be). One was a sushi place, and they've moved. (There's still a really good sushi place in the Old Port, but kinda expensive). But the place we went most often was J's Oyster Bar. The owner got hit with a serious tax fraud charge. I've been meaning to go there, and see if it's still the same. Bet the oysters have gone up. I'll let you know.

There is a restaurant walking tour that starts in the Old Port. Haven't done it, but I want to. They also have one in Bar Harbor. I want to try the Rockaln one, Rockland only became touristy recently, and that would be a good way to check it out.

The museum sucks. There's a nice park in the West End that overlooks the bay. It's walking distance. This where preference comes in, we have some fairly famous restaurants like Street and Duck Fat. But you could also get a couple of big Italian sandwiches at Amatos, and eat them in the park. Amatos claims to have invented the Italian, they've been making them for over a century. In any case, that's an option. There's an Italian specialty shop nearby, also on India, and they have a tiny little alcove in the back where you can buy Sicilian slabs, and just a couple other things. The menu is quite limited, and the seating area is microscopic, but it's cheap and good. Back in the Old Port there is Gelato Fiasco, European quality gelato. You can get 3 or even 4 flavors in even their smallest serving. Try the Resurgam, you really ought to go there even if it's just for the free samples.

Next door is 5 Guys, the best burger chain on the East Coast. It not fancy, just a big burger with lots of fixings at a good price.

There's maybe a 100 restaurants within a mile of your dock, spend a little time googling to see what sounds good. When I was a kid, it was still a working port. Good place to get into a fight. I don't know what your SO likes, but there's a number of fancy shoppes.. My wife likes the purses at Portmanteux.

Hi Late,

Thanks for the tips.  I was at J's in January for the third time. Don't remember it being much different from the other visits in 2011 and 2016.  We also liked the bar with the copper bar, Gritty McDuff's. On our vacation there in 2016 we took a boat over to one the Islands on Casco Bay, Peaks Island. We have 6 or 7 hours in Portland.

BuffCarla is not a cyclist, so that's not likely.

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

Hi Late,

Thanks for the tips.  I was at J's in January for the third time. Don't remember it being much different from the other visits in 2011 and 2016.  We also liked the bar with the copper bar, Gritty McDuff's. On our vacation there in 2016 we took a boat over to one the Islands on Casco Bay, Peaks Island. We have 6 or 7 hours in Portland.

BuffCarla is not a cyclist, so that's not likely.

I've seen bus-like things at the Tea House, so there's a way to get there.

J's has a bouilabasse soup that's prob the best thing they serve.

3 hours ago, Couch_Incident said:

I want to visit Dot and KT.  Maybe I forgo Ohio this summer and crash in Dot's basement.

Couch

KT is leaving Facebook but I guess you know how to contact him. He left the LF then he left here and now he is leaving Facebook. He lives on the left coast and leans left. I still like him.

14 hours ago, Longjohn said:

KT is leaving Facebook but I guess you know how to contact him. He left the LF then he left here and now he is leaving Facebook. He lives on the left coast and leans left. I still like him.

And I like you goofs on the Right. My father and best friend are goofs and see the world through your myopic lens and those glasses don't fall far from me amigo. We will go riding together one day. Purple is my color. I might see KT tomorrow.

:foryou:

• Awesome 1