Hemet Double Century

az_cyclist

We got an early start, 4:30.  There were 9 of us riding together (and another group of 3 Bulls that would leave closer to 6).  It was about 49-50 degrees, and unlike last year no fog.  I decided to wear a base layer, wind vest, and wool arm warmers, and not knee warmers, and I felt pretty comfortable most of the day.  There are two loops in the double, the first 106 and the second 97.  We were riding thru relatively flat farmland at first.  After the first sag stop there was a nice downhill (during which I really started to feel chilly), then the route turns onto Victoria Ave in Riverside for several miles, a beautiful street with many nice trees along the sides and roses planted in the median. The sun finally broke thru the marine layer when we stopped at the second sag just south of Corona, so I took off my vest and arm warmers. That turned out to be the right timing for that.  The route then curved back thru Mennifee to Hemet, where we had lunch.  We finished the first loop in 7-7.5 hours, and were feeling good.

After lunch the route starts with a 1% false flat.  About 8 miles after lunch we hit the biggest climb of the day, Sage Rd, southeast of Hemet.  On the route sheet it mentions a grade of 8% in some places;  Strava shows one place of 9.2% and another at 10.6.  I believe both of those.  On that climb I found I had rear derailleur issues.  I could not use my 28, and it wanted to jump around on the 2 cogs smaller than that.  I did the best I could to take it easy,  but spinning in the 28 was not an option (stopped by the LBS on the way home;  bent derailleur hanger that they can fix).  We regrouped at the top of the climb.  One of the guys in our group said the view reminded him of Tuscany.  After a nice downhill, the route turned west southwest thru some vineyards and then west to Temecula and sag 1 of the afternoon.  The route then became a lot more urban as it turned northwest and looped around Lake Elsinore. 
A few miles after the Temecula sag my energy level dropped.  We were in a 20 mph crosswind that was tapping into my energy level.  I fought thru that until the next sag, recovered a bit, then did my best for the next leg.  About half way to the last sag, which was at about 179 miles, I felt my energy return and I felt great all the way to the end.  There was about 5-7 miles of climbing after the last sag stop, then we were within 15 miles of the finish.  there was one shorter climb with about 10 miles to go.  I was really glad to be with a group because my lights were starting to get dim.
We finished in about 15 hours 50 minutes overall.  Since the route is pretty urban, there are a lot of traffic lights and stop signs.

I felt good at the end, and there was a nice bbq chicken dinner at the finish. 

A great ride with great cycling friends.

http://www.strava.com/activities/130039514

http://www.strava.com/activities/130039512

• Heart 1

Wow, that sounds like an incredible ride.  I'd like to try it some WEEK,  lol.  I had no idea what kind of terrain you had on double centuries but I assumed it had to be mostly flat for you to be able to do 200 miles in a day.  

Thanks John.  I have ridden the doubles that have the least climbing.  On my cycling bucket list is the Davis Double, in Davis CA.  It has about a 1000 more feet of climbing  (8000 ft) than Solvang and Hemet, but I hear it is a beautiful ride and is well organized.  I would also like to ride the Eastern Sierra double, Bishop CA.  it has 10,000 ft of climbing.  To ride that one I will need to get another battery for my lights and another for my Garmin computer.