Rotten egg smell?

BuffJim

Scientists claim Uranus has that rotten egg smell

https://www.wkbw.com/news/national/scientists-claim-uranus-has-that-rotten-egg-smell

A global research team of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, using spectroscopes, have found hydrogen sulfide in the clouds or Uranus, NASA said on Tuesday. 

What is special about hydrogen sulfide is it is a common chemical on Earth humans like to avoid. Hydrogen sulfide is the same gas that rotten eggs emit. 

Yes, Uranus smells like rotten eggs. 

The presence of hydrogen sulfide has long been suspected on Uranus. NASA’s Voyager 2, which passed by the planet decades ago, detected the gas. But using Earth-based satellites, NASA has been able to confirm the presence of the gas. 

NASA said that finding hydrogen sulfide on Uranus is a striking difference compared to the other gas planets. Jupiter and Saturn have had ammonia detected in the clouds, but not hydrogen sulfide. 

“We’ve strongly suspected that hydrogen sulfide gas was influencing the millimeter and radio spectrum of Uranus for some time, but we were unable to attribute the absorption needed to identify it positively. Now, that part of the puzzle is falling into place as well,” Glenn Orton of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory said. 

If there is one bit of good news, scientists said: It would be impossible for the hydrogen sulfide to overtake humans. 

"Suffocation and exposure in the negative 200 degrees Celsius [392 degrees Fahrenheit] atmosphere made of mostly hydrogen, helium and methane would take its toll long before the smell," said lead author Patrick Irwin of the University of Oxford, U.K.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Yes, Uranus smells like rotten eggs. 

LOL.

FWIW-1 Exposure to elevated levels (well above the PEL) of H2S burns out the olfactory sensors and you can no longer smell it, leading to folks to ignore the warning signals & die

FWIW-2, H2S is flammable/explosive in high concentrations. You'll be long dead from exposure before the concentration is high enough to go BOOM.

H2S is prevalent enough in our work that we issue H2S monitors to each employee.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

A global research team of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, using spectroscopes, have found hydrogen sulfide in the clouds of your anus, NASA said on Tuesday. 

We needed a NASA research team to figure this out?  :huh:

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, 2Far said:

FWIW-2, H2S is flammable/explosive in high concentrations. You'll be long dead from exposure before the concentration is high enough to go BOOM.

H2S is prevalent enough in our work that we issue H2S monitors to each employee

Don’t clip the monitor on your belt or you may get some false positives.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

When I was a teen I went on a school minibus trip. In the previous 2 days whilst fending for myself at home with the parents already away on holidays, I'd been a good boy and did as I was told and eaten up all the food left in the house, including 15 eggs. In the first 15 to 30 minutes of the trip, going out through the industrial areas of the city, my excuses washed, but as the trip went on, not so much: Oh, how I laughed.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 2Far said:

LOL.

FWIW-1 Exposure to elevated levels (well above the PEL) of H2S burns out the olfactory sensors and you can no longer smell it, leading to folks to ignore the warning signals & die

H2S is prevalent enough in our work that we issue H2S monitors to each employee.

Ya'll need to stop eating chili beans and just eat chili.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I live really close to a nature preserve along the upper reaches of a saltwater harbor/bay. On an afternoon low tide you can smell the mud which has that rotting egg smell. 

My wife hates the smell but it reminds me if home.

So you're like ET?

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I wonder if NASA will next report that Venus has a fishy odor?  :o

Carbon dioxide and sulfuric acid, and 1200F hotter than Uranus...

It would be a race to see which would kill you quickest, heat hot enough to melt metal, the pressure (equal to a km down in the ocean), the carbon dioxide (too slow) or the sulfuric acid getting in your lungs.

Let's just say it would be a team effort.

11 hours ago, 2Far said:

LOL.

How does it kill you ?

12 hours ago, Further said:

How does it kill you ?

Above the PEL, H2S mixes with H2O in the lungs & forms a weak acid. Acid & lung tissue is bad, chemical pneumonia.

It's heavier than air & will displace the O2/N2 mixture that we love so much & will asphyxiate the participant.

• Heart 1