Thread for the boat people

AirwickWithCheese

3 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

What happened to the Warren Harding boat that Coolidge had for awhile?  I want that boat.   :nodhead:

Sadly, she is no more.  She had a hard life.  Was mothballed, caught fire and sank, was recovered, and went into Coast Guard service as a seal catcher among other things.  Was finally broken up in 1955.

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/the-floating-white-house

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Carter was a damn idiot.  

He did not know peanuts about boats, that is for damn sure.

https://coolidgefoundation.org/blog/from-presidents-to-refugees-the-uss-mayflower/

What they did to Mayflower should be a crime though, so in the long run, maybe this is best, otherwise we might see Trump in a mankini singing T Paynes "I'm on a boat" on some gawdy tarted up floating monstrosity.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

When I was on Mackinac Island in '15 this beauty pulled in

IMG_20160529_182813_633.thumb.jpg.a557813e0663ee4439f09984672e9ada.jpg

Old Bullnose Chris Craft.  I liitle research shows that to be the Marion Leigh, The Marion Leigh belongs to the Musser family from the Grand Hotel fame. It is a 1955 53' Constellation. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

When I was on Mackinac Island in '15 this beauty pulled in

IMG_20160529_182813_633.thumb.jpg.a557813e0663ee4439f09984672e9ada.jpg

I recognize that beauty. When we lived in Michigan, I was a teenager, my father and I would buy project boats for the dry dock during the winter. Spend the summer, or two, tooling around with them then sell them and move onto the new project. We worked out of Don Ault boatworks on the St. Clair river.

We had a 42' 1956 CC Constellation, 1958 CC Slickcraft, 1954 Egg Harbor Sportfisher and a bunch more over the years. 

The Connie had twin flat-head Hercules 6ers, thats the engines I learned to wrench on. Good times

• Heart 3

A wedding anniversary surprise from daughter. Dinner cruise on a boat from Lausanne to Montreux on Lake Geneva where it let off passengers but returned to  Lausanne with the dinner guest. When originally in service pre-railroads in 1911 shipped people and goods between the towns on the lake. Interesting, flies both the French and Swiss flag.

DSC02860.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

DSC02865.jpg

DSC02869.jpg

DSC02871.jpg

DSC02874.jpg

DSC02879.jpg

DSC02882.jpg

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

It’s funny how few pictures you can have of your own boat in the water.

DCB88913-16A3-42A4-BFD1-65783562C061.jpeg

Find a laid back yacht club and start doing some racing.  You will seen be overloaded with pictures of your boat taken by other racers or the race committee.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Find a laid back yacht club and start doing some racing.  You will seen be overloaded with pictures of your boat taken by other racers or the race committee.

We mostly raced on a friend’s boat last summer as crew. We raced our boat the previous summer, but seemingly all of those photos went straight to FB and aren’t on my phone.

My brother-in-law and I had a 21' pleasure boat with a cuddy cabin including porta-potty, a grill that locked into one of the fishing rod holders, and a 201 HP V6 inboard-outdrive engine that could get us almost anywhere on the northern Chesapeake fast enough to spend a long time fishing. It had all the neat bells-and-whistles including a depth finder and a GPS so we knew if we were trolling over the same area where we just caught Rockfish (Striped Bass). It held 4 very comfortably and 6 reasonably comfortably.

If four of us were going out fishing, I'd ask each one for $20 to pay for gasoline.

Then gas began to rise significantly over $1/gallon.  Since we'd burn about 60 gallons of gas, it soon began to cost in the neighborhood of $200 to use the boat.

So we sold it.  Maybe I'll get into sailboat racing!

13 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My brother-in-law and I had a 21' pleasure boat with a cuddy cabin including porta-potty, a grill that locked into one of the fishing rod holders, and a 201 HP V6 inboard-outdrive engine that could get us almost anywhere on the northern Chesapeake fast enough to spend a long time fishing. It had all the neat bells-and-whistles including a depth finder and a GPS so we knew if we were trolling over the same area where we just caught Rockfish (Striped Bass). It held 4 very comfortably and 6 reasonably comfortably.

If four of us were going out fishing, I'd ask each one for $20 to pay for gasoline.

Then gas began to rise significantly over $1/gallon.  Since we'd burn about 60 gallons of gas, it soon began to cost in the neighborhood of $200 to use the boat.

So we sold it.  Maybe I'll get into sailboat racing!

One of the many things I loved about my Whaler was the removable tanks. Getting gas at the local gas station saved me $1.50 a gallon over the docks.

Just now, ChrisL said:

One of the many things I loved about my Whaler was the removable tanks. Getting gas at the local gas station saved me $1.50 a gallon over the docks.

I managed a boat rental business.  We brought in hundreds of gallons of gas on weekends to avoid marina gas pricing.

• Heart 1

I kinda miss my Whalern.  Low maintenance and easy to launch and fun as hell as I live a few Mike's from Newport Harbor.  A baseball dad kept nagging me to buy it and I relented. Bought it used for $5k, had it 10 years and sold it for $3K.  Other than a new battery and a cover I put no money into it for service or repairs.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

:P

In all seriousness, I may burn a total of 10 gallons of desiel each summer. At most.

I burned more diesel than that every day hauling sailboat fuel on my flatbed trailer back in my truck driving days. When another trucker would see me deadheading on the interstate to pick up a load and ask what I was hauling the standard answer was either sailboat fuel or dispatcher brains.

• Heart 2