I'm trying to determine which Ivy League school I should have attended

AirwickWithCheese

Going back in time, it would be a huge decision. Important factor would be the atmosphere of the late 80s, early 90s. In the 1920s I'm thinking Rutgers but not sure about my era. 

Which paragon of higher learning remained true to her original ideals the longest? Ozzie went to Rutgers. Would Rick have selected Rutgers before his Stone Canyon days?  I'm not sure. :dontknow:

What about Matthew and Gunnar?  Where would the Beav have attended Ivy League if he wasn't an imbecile? 

I like those British striped silk ties or floral and paisley bowties. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Which school though has the best dress code? Traditional, conservative, preppy, ties before dinner?  

...doubtless the University of Virginia at Charlottesville.  But they're not really Ivy League, they're more Kudzu League.

My first very beautiful ex-wife went to East Carolina.  I think you should have chosen a party school, like East Carolina.

• Confused 1

Buffy and I would meet toward the end of our sophomore year. I would surprise her with a solitare yellow diamond during Christmas break senior year. 

I would sell real estate at her father's construction company and we would get married in June. 

We would consummate our marriage in late July, early August.  

1 minute ago, Chris... said:

Bunch of twats go to oxford and Cambridge. Harrow is even worse

I would like a mg roadster. We race around the courtyard at recess for fame and glory. Life was most excellent at Harrow. Did you work on the asbestos ceilings as part of the disadvantaged youth program? 

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ivy League schools completely eliminate the desire and ability to think for oneself.  Go to a state college Cheese. 

I don't want to think for myself. I want Buffy to tell me what to do at home and her father to grow weary of me at work and consider me mostly an investment in his daughter.  

9. Univ. of South Carolina - Aiken (South Carolina)

This public suburban university has average class sizes and loan default rates, but its 20-year return on investment is a disheartening -$40,000, among the worst in the nation. Not surprisingly, the out-of-state tuition cost for a 4-year degree goes past the $80,000 mark. Its on-time graduation rate is an unimpressive 24% and is ranked 1109 out of 1383 colleges nationwide by College Factual. About half of the school's faculty is full-time.

13867620.png
  • Sad 1

Back in my high school days, living in the poorest family in a neighborhood in the Armpit of the County, I dreamed about Harvard. But now, I don't think it would have been a comfortable fit for me.

It's sometimes uneasy being a poor kid working your way through school, even on a scholarship with a teaching assistantship at a $50,000/year (in 2018 dollars) private college full of rich kids, like IIT.

So after commuting four years from my parents' home to earn my bachelor's degree, I got to live on campus, join a fraternity, etc. in grad school at IIT in Chicago and had enough other science-types from poorer families to enjoy it overall.  And Comiskey Park, where the White Sox play, is only 4 blocks from IIT and back then you could get a bleacher seat for 75 cents with a student ID and beer was normal barroom prices.  The on-campus Friday Night Movie cost 50 cents.  So overall I did just fine.  But I think if I had upped the snobbery to Harvard it wouldn't have been as fine.

Hmm. The Ivies weren't on my radar, but Cornell had great Lax & engineering, but was too close to home. Maybe Penn, I played against them on their field (the one & only time I played on artificial turf).

I don't know how I would have done at a big school. I went out to Purdue to visit a GFof2 & felt a little like "Jethro Bodine goes to LA". We had a choice of movie in Potsdam, same movie at 7 & 9 pm on Fridays & Saturdays only. Purdue had a multiplex.

• Heart 1

On 4/29/2018 at 3:07 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Clemson

A mighty fine recommendation.  I would heartily recommend Clemson or other top level state schools around the US.  There is absolutely no reason for most folks to spend six-figures on a 4 year degree when many in-state universities offer 99% of the education at 25% of the cost (versus private).  Especially, if a person is going to live in their home state after college, a state university will have near or greater "status" than one of those hoity-toity Ivy Leagues :D  And, they will have strong in-state alumni networks (and often out of state ones too) that help folks find job opportunities or get a foot in the door.

Tom

53 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

many in-state universities offer 99% of the education

It's getting tot the point where some state schools are in the 1%.

All my kids went to state schools.  They all also applied to the big names schools.  But when the time came to choose - we had previously told them what our contribution would be, they were on the hook for the rest.  The decision became easy.  When the time came to get a job, they were surprised to find that their chosen schools actually gave them an advantage

...honestly, the only bad thing I can recall about going to college at the University of Maryland at College Park was being forced to listen to the bell tower on the clock chime out "Maryland, my Maryland" on the hour, every hour, all god damn day long.  But with enough cute cheerleaders (and pot), you can get used to anything.:cheerleader:

I have been to Yale. My son works there. Oh, you mean actually attend classes and get a degree.

Weird part is their continuing education benefits program for employees is quite generous with one exception. They will pay for classes anywhere BUT Yale. My son ended up getting his MBA across town at the private/parochial Albertus Magnus.