Weekend plans this first weekend in May

petitepedal

3 minutes ago, smudge said:

Saturday is Big Brew Day. My heart just isn't in it this year. I feel horrible about that. I'd like.to go for a bike ride Saturday since it will be warmer than Sunday. sigh... I don't know; I should just go to Big Brew Day for a while.

Have a saison. :)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Take care of critters, take photos at high school track meet on Saturday, watch a bit of the Kentucky Derby, and attend a 65th wedding anniversary celebration for some folks in the evening.  On Sunday, we'll take care of critters, but not sure about other activities, like going south and/or going east to check out a different rookery.

• Heart 3

Weird weekend.  I plan to squeeze in at least 2-3 hrs. per day, of cycling and pure outdoors.  Then rest of time I have to focus on a written assignment as part of a job competition for a job I applied awhile ago. It's all part of shortlisting candidates.  So It will be probably something that is a report..given the nature of the job ad. :(

But at least I'm going to pancakes on Bike to Work Day tomorrow in celebration, then off to bike to Italian deli for lunch and shopping before returning to....this assignment which right now I have no clue what it will be until tomorrow when I get home. Thankfully a day off for me.

I'll be lucky I cycle a total of 80 km. next 3 days.. Normally it could be over 100 kms over same time period.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

watch a bit of the Kentucky Derby, 

A bit? the first minute or the second minute? Have a mint julep for me. But skip the mint and all of the other stuff and just drink the bourbon.

I think I'll get a haircut and see if I can track down some bison, maybe ride to Yellowstone. 

• Heart 2
  • Envious 1

26 minutes ago, dennis said:

A bit? the first minute or the second minute? Have a mint julep for me. But skip the mint and all of the other stuff and just drink the bourbon.

I think I'll get a haircut and see if I can track down some bison, maybe ride to Yellowstone. 

Sometimes, I just watch the replay on the internet. I am often outside working when the race is run.  Have fun cycling to Yellowstone. Does that path go from Jackson to Yellowstone, or does one have to get on the road for part of the trip? I saw a lot of cyclists when I was in Jackson in 2016, but did not remember seeing many on the roads.

13 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Sometimes, I just watch the replay on the internet. I am often outside working when the race is run.  Have fun cycling to Yellowstone. Does that path go from Jackson to Yellowstone, or does one have to get on the road for part of the trip? I saw a lot of cyclists when I was in Jackson in 2016, but did not remember seeing many on the roads.

"The fastest two minutes in sports"

If I get my butt moving early, I'll cover some ground. More likely I'll turn around at Colter Bay. The path will get me to Jenny lake. The rest is on the road. I'm hoping it's early enough in the season that traffic will be low. We still have a lot of snow. I don't think much is open yet which should work in my favor. Somebody woke up the bears though.

https://buckrail.com/yellowstone-visitors-stuck-stranded-on-beartooth-highway/

https://buckrail.com/yellowstone-to-open-east-entrance-more-roads-tomorrow/

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, dennis said:

I only need one, but there are two. I'll head toward Colter and decide if I want to return through the park or on the highway. 

Right.  I think we took the northern one.  It was almost 30 years ago... and I'm pretty sure we were all drinking at the time on our way to the slopes so I don't exactly remember much of the trip.  Followed a river for some time. Every curve was a potential pit stop.

Yes, I read earlier about the folks that were stranded.  I have a hard time understanding how folks can justify driving around road closed signs, because their GPS indicated that was the way to go. I mentioned here before about getting semis traveling on our gravel roads, because the drivers were following their GPS for the shortest way to the interstate. Sometimes they've gotten stuck going around some sharp corners and some in town have wrecked their trailers trying to go though the underpass.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Got today off and have a long list of stuff to do including inside stuff, in case of rain (which it is currently doing). Tomorrow, I’ll be doing something vaguely Mexican, maybe Carnitas. Or maybe fish tacos, dunno.

Sunday we’re going out to Albany to go “look at old clothing”. (SO could probably tell you more, she’s the 19th century clothing geek. I’m just along for the ride). Meeting TK & MrsTK there. Given the plunge in maturity level when we get together, we’ll probably end up getting kicked out of the museum).

• Heart 1

Going to a barbershop concert tomorrow night with BuffCarla (picture is old - prices are now $19): The heavyset one on the left end is the guy I've known for many years. Had a head on collision with him at home plate in a softball game once. I still limp.

Nichols2.jpg?itok=hrvuA3-g

• Heart 1

Wet weekend here. Rain to start late Friday night and into Sunday. Pick up the new road shoes this afternoon. Work at the LBS Saturday from 10 - 6, drink beer from 6 - 7, go home for dinner and watch the replay of the Kentucky Derby. Might have a few fingers of Woodford Reserve to make it official. 

Sunday, visit Mom in the morning and bring her some AAA batteries. "Someone" stole one of her tv remotes. Carlos, the maintenance guy, gave her a spare he had but it doesn't work. It doesn't work because it only has one battery Mom and it needs two. "Really? why did he give it to me if it only had one battery?" Not sure Mom, maybe he, like you, didn't check.

13 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Shitcan @Razors Edge

You gotta get on @Square Wheels calendar.  He is more partial to weekdays rather than weekends.  And, as a side note, the donuts and coffee are leftovers by the weekend, and not something many would find tasty.

Tom

Hopefully I will finish rebuilding the motor in the race bike that I broke in the last race in South Carolina. If I get it done I will be breaking the motor in and scuffing in a set of tires at Road America on Sunday. 

I will probably have to cut Sunday short because I have to work 3rd shift on Sunday