Facey-shavey question...

Randomguy

I have a very light beard, I can only shave ever second day and no one would even notice on the off day.  I don't get a 5 o'clock shadow, it is more of a you-haven't-shaved-in-four-days shadow.  The electric razor works well for me.  You need to replace the blades every year or so, but much less p.i.t.a. then shaving the other way.

I don't know how well it would work on a heavy beard though.  

• Heart 1

I have thick beard. Electric razors are useless. I use a safety razor. Oil face, lather, two passes and I'm butter smooth.

I also use exclusively Detroitgrooming.com for my shaving and hair products. Seriously good stuff and inexpensive for the quality.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Those electric razors, do they work well, and do the scrape the shit out of your face?

41 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

How do they work on your balls.  Does it scrape the shit out of them?  Why do you have shit on your balls, anyway?

RG is worried about getting the shit scraped off his face, not his balls.  No one wants shit on their face.  Please try to pay better attention.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Those electric razors, do they work well, and do the scrape the shit out of your face?

I tried the Phillips version years ago and yes, it ripped the hell out of my face.  Switched to Braun and it worked well.  I just prefer shaving soap a brush and a razor blade nowadays.  I do have a mini Braun style shaver in my briefcase for those 14 hour flights.  It wakes you up to shave and wash up just before descent. :) 

• Heart 2

Stopped using electrics years ago.  Never could get as close (always left stubble), and they usually died within 1-2 years of purchase.

I've tried a fair amount of blade razors; I settled with the Schick Hydro 5.  Blades cost a bit less than Gilette's, they last far longer than the Fusion I replaced (or anything else I've tried), and they do a very similar job.  I've tried Harry's (works okay, barely lasts) and the Korean company Dorco (which is what the Dollar Shave Club sells; I just bought direct), which just doesn't pivot well to fit the contours of my face.

I use a separate razor for my head.  I kept the Dorco razor for this; it does a good job, and I can get the blades very inexpensively.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I tried the Phillips version years ago and yes, it ripped the hell out of my face.  Switched to Braun and it worked well.  I just prefer shaving soap a brush and a razor blade nowadays.  I do have a mini Braun style shaver in my briefcase for those 14 hour flights.  It wakes you up to shave and wash up just before descent. :) 

Ok, so here is the deal.  I used to shave in the shower, but the shower is shit.  Enormously low-flow, and not comfortable to shave there. 

Don't want to shave in the sink, there is no stopper.  Yeah, I could go buy a ghetto drain plug like they did back in the day, but they look like crap and get gross. 

Anyway, I went to Costco on this for a couple of reasons.  First, I can get other stuff there cheaply while I am there.  Second, I know if it scrapes the hell out of my face or it doesn't work well, I just hork it back to Costco and demand satisfaction.

In Costco, I had three choices, all of which I couldn't afford.  The $200 Braun (never gonna happen), the $130 Braun that was $30 off (or $100), and the $100 Norelco.  I read the responses and got the Braun.

I will post reviews.  

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, so here is the deal.  I used to shave in the shower, but the shower is shit.  Enormously low-flow, and not comfortable to shave there. 

Don't want to shave in the sink, there is no stopper.  Yeah, I could go buy a ghetto drain plug like they did back in the day, but they look like crap and get gross. 

Anyway, I went to Costco on this for a couple of reasons.  First, I can get other stuff there cheaply while I am there.  Second, I know if it scrapes the hell out of my face or it doesn't work well, I just hork it back to Costco and demand satisfaction.

In Costco, I had three choices, all of which I couldn't afford.  The $200 Braun (never gonna happen), the $130 Braun that was $30 off (or $100), and the $100 Norelco.  I read the responses and got the Braun.

I will post reviews.  

Don't push too hard with a new razor.  It will burn!  :) 

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I will post reviews.  

...when you take it back to Costco, make certain you mention it did not work for you very well in the shower.  

If it were me, I would outlaw modify that shower head with a drill bit. Zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds, baby.:)

I've used a Philips Norelco triple-header for years. It doesn't shave as close as a blade, but good enough. Plus I don't bleed as often using it.

Just remember to change the blades at least once a year.  I use a cordless model and it holds a charge for well over a week.

8 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I use electric after using a blade for years.  The two are different as one slices the hair from the side as the other grinds it to a stub.  So if you go with one, it's going to be an adjustment going back to the other -- or so I've found.  You can use the electric to get really close to your face but I use the clippers on the side to shave my face all the time.  As a result, I always have a bit of scruff on my face -- which my wife finds attractive -- and honestly, it's much easier to go over your beard when you're using the clippers.  Cuts it close enough but is quicker and isn't harsh on my face.  Basically, I'm lazy and the electric does the job for me just fine.  There are a lot of options out there -- but I like Braun.

I've been using electric for a long time and it doesn't shave as close as a razor, but meh. No issues cutting up my face. Unless, the foil gets a cut in it...replace it or it will nick you.  Last summer I went 4 or 5 days w/o shaving from up north (I was on vacation-lazy mode) and the electric would not work.  I had to resort to my trusty gillette mach III. Wow, my face was baby butt smooth :D

Phillips Norelco beard trimmer, when I have a beard, otherwise when I get rid of the beard as I did 2 weeks ago, Edge gel and Gillette Proglide. Even when shaving, I may go a week between shaves (Sheep don't seem to mind my grey stubble.). My experience with an electric razor many years ago, was less than satisfactory.

I've worn a beard for several years now. I currently use a Remington trimmer and formerly used a Norelco trimmer. Neither does a good job of 'shaving'. When I need an immaculate appearance, I shave with a conventional disposable blade. Otherwise, I look like I haven't shaved the naked areas for a day.

25 minutes ago, bikeman564 said:

I went 4 or 5 days w/o shaving  up north (I was on vacation-lazy mode) and the electric would not work.  When I shaved down south, I had to resort to my trusty gillette mach III. Wow, my butt was baby face smooth :D

tmi

:) 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bikeman564 said:

I've been using electric for a long time and it doesn't shave as close as a razor, but meh. No issues cutting up my face. Unless, the foil gets a cut in it...replace it or it will nick you.  Last summer I went 4 or 5 days w/o shaving from up north (I was on vacation-lazy mode) and the electric would not work.  I had to resort to my trusty gillette mach III. Wow, my face was baby butt smooth :D

Ok, so the Braun was a mixed bag.  It had been about 5 days since the last shave (nobody at work shaves all the time).  Parts it did well on, and parts it seemed to miss on despite multiple passes.  Every time I thought it was done, there were small areas of face-foliage I had missed, kind of long hairs where I would look pretty impaired if I showed up in public with. 

After scraping a bunch of face right off, I finally had to get the blade and gel out and take the harder to get bits off.

On the other hand, it was kind of nice to go after it dry without making a big to-do with the water and shave cream everywhere, but a bummer to have to go over it again later with the old-school stuff.  Not sure if I should just take it back now or realize that I need to use it every couple of days for better results (hopefully).  I am leaning toward taking it back at the moment.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, so the Braun was a mixed bag.  It had been about 5 days since the last shave (nobody at work shaves all the time).  Parts it did well on, and parts it seemed to miss on despite multiple passes.  Every time I thought it was done, there were small areas of face-foliage I had missed, kind of long hairs where I would look pretty impaired if I showed up in public with. 

After scraping a bunch of face right off, I finally had to get the blade and gel out and take the harder to get bits off.

On the other hand, it was kind of nice to go after it dry without making a big to-do with the water and shave cream everywhere, but a bummer to have to go over it again later with the old-school stuff.  Not sure if I should just take it back now or realize that I need to use it every couple of days for better results (hopefully).  I am leaning toward taking it back at the moment.

Hmm. Yeah, I forgot that part.  If I let it grow for a week, I had to use the sideburn trimmer first to reduce the hair length.  It works best on 1-2 day growth. 

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Every time I thought it was done, there were small areas of face-foliage I had missed

On the other hand, it was kind of nice to go after it dry without making a big to-do with the water and shave cream everywhere

Agree completely. When it comes to shaving I prefer simple so I stick w/ electric. I've used Braun & Remington. Personally they're equal IMO.

• Heart 1

I have a partial beard.  I shave the neck and cheekbones.  I use a Wahl trimmer on the beard (and other stray hairs).  For shaving, I wet the face and neck and shave with a Gillette disposable without soap.  I had used shaving soap for years but stopped even using that a couple years ago.  I started shaving when I was 16 and I've used shaving cream/gel from a can maybe 3 times in my life.

39 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have a partial beard.  I shave the neck and cheekbones.  I use a Wahl trimmer on the beard (and other stray hairs).  For shaving, I wet the face and neck and shave with a Gillette disposable without soap.  I had used shaving soap for years but stopped even using that a couple years ago.  I started shaving when I was 16 and I've used shaving cream/gel from a can maybe 3 times in my life.

Well that explains the red neck.