Cycling's Golden Rule

Pertaining to actually riding, not maintenance, what to wear, what to carry, etc., the Numero Uno Golden Rule for cycling is:

YOU are responsible for your front wheel. Period.

A nice corollary to the Golden Rule is maintain situational awareness.  Start with "owning" your front wheel, and then expand your awareness to the whole area around you.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Page Turner said:

RT just paid me a hunnert and fitty bucks that sez you're wrong.

The Russians are giving you money????

What is RT? And did they reimburse you for that damage to your bike? Pretty neat, if so.  But it makes me wonder WTF you weren't following the Golden Rule.  You are an experienced cyclist, and I am worried I will have to classify you as a self-absorbed noob instead :(

Tom

...a train was going past when I got there, so I was stopped along with traffic. When we started up, between trying to avoid the pothole in my line, clipping in, and not getting hit by the anxious drivers who were all now in a hurry because they had to wait for the train, by the time i saw that it was a gap instead of the asphalt grouting that used to be in the gap, it was already too late to do much except concentrate on a nice rollout.

As it sits, crashing in that gap was still less damaging than getting hit by the car that was squeezing me over.

These are the regional transit people, but like Trump, I would take money from the Russians if they offered it.