I am going fishing this weekend

Dirtyhip

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Spin casting for now.  I want to fly, but all this equipment is very expensive.  In due time.

I am fishing Salmon Creek in Oakridge.  They just stocked it this week too.  YAY!  I am going for trout. 

http://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/or-salmon-creek-trout-fishing-oregon.html

There is a poor man's way of fly fishing with a spin rig.  It's not as effective but it does work.

1.  Use a clear float that you can weight a bit with water or a small piece of lead on the line right at the float.

2.  Put a fly on about 3 ft of leader past the float.

3.  Now you have enough weight to cast with a spin rig (the float) and a fly that will land some distance beyond.  If the float doesn't scare the fish the fly may attract them, especially at feeding time.

Best you learn to cast this with a bit of sidearm motion lest the fly and hook come sailing past close to your ears.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There is a poor man's way of fly fishing with a spin rig.  It's not as effective but it does work.

1.  Use a clear float that you can weight a bit with water or a small piece of lead on the line right at the float.

3.  Now you have enough weight to cast with a spin rig (the float) and a fly that will land some distance beyond.  If the float doesn't scare the fish the fly may attract them, especially at feeding time.

Best you learn to cast this with a bit of sidearm motion lest the fly and hook come sailing past close to your ears.

We tried this method in Colorado.  We could not get the trout or salmon or whatever was or was not in the ponds and streams in Lake City to bite.  I think they could smell the Texas stench on us.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Spin casting for now.  I want to fly, but all this equipment is very expensive.  In due time.

I am fishing Salmon Creek in Oakridge.  They just stocked it this week too.  YAY!  I am going for trout. 

http://www.bestfishinginamerica.com/or-salmon-creek-trout-fishing-oregon.html

Nothing wrong with spin casting.  It's quite a bit easier and you can arguably get to spots much easier than stripping out line from your fly rod... and definitely, much, much, much cheaper.  But if you're a hobbyist, probably nothing more rewarding that laying out dry or wet line in or over a body of water.  Plus if you really get into it, you can study the environment and tie your own flies.  That's what my friend does.

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I used to do this, when I was a backpacker.  I think I still have clear bobbers hanging around.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Nothing wrong with spin casting.  It's quite a bit easier and you can arguably get to spots much easier than stripping out line from your fly rod... and definitely, much, much, much cheaper.  But if you're a hobbyist, probably nothing more rewarding that laying out dry or wet line in or over a body of water.  Plus if you really get into it, you can study the environment and tie your own flies.  That's what my friend does.

Slow down, Buddy.  The tags are still on my gear.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Why would you do this, don't you know that fish have families and faces?  You MONSTER!

Is it to get free food?

Remember when I wanted to live in a van?  Well, I still really enjoy the idea of tooling around, homeless.  we go camping and I pretend that we live in our camper.  So, this is like grocery shopping for camp rats.

Living the dream.

• Heart 1

Good luck.

Actually, I am scanning my parent's slide collection tonight (for the next I don't know how may nights) attempting one tray a night.  Ran across this one. No me, but my younger brother and sister caught off our back yard. I am 10 yrs older than he and was away in college at the time.  This all started as I am looking for slides appropriate for Mother's Day.

img059.jpg

• Heart 4