What do you think of grass fed beef ? Vs feedlot beef ?

Further

...are you talking about nutritional value or the end product on your table ?

Grass fed requires different cooking techniques, because it's not artificially fattened on grain. Fat slows the cooking process of the meat proteins.

So if you try to do the same things with it you used to do with store bought, feed lot beef, it will come out tough, chewy, and a little bit dry (sometimes a lot dry.)

Some things you might want to try with grass fed are either stewing it, slow roasting it in a covered roaster at low heat, pressure cooking it, or marinating it really well in something before you attempt to cook it at all.  It's essential to use lower temperature and longer cooking times to avoid toughening your finished product.  I have a guy at the market who sells it, but I haven't eatn any beef for a few years now, because my wife won't eat it, and I cook for both of us when I do something like a major meal.  We're mostly on the fish and chicken menu here now, with some bacon when I cook for myself, and maybe some pork ribs from the local guy a  couple of times each summer.

• Heart 1

My partner was a weekend farmer with cattle and pigs....100 km. outside of Toronto, not far from Peterborough.  For 10 years.  In addition to his full -time in city for oil firm.

Grass fed cattle yield fattier meat.  If they are fed barley at feedlot, there will be a leaner, nicer (to us) meat.  

We tend to like lean beef. That is what I try to buy here in Calgary...Alberta is Canada's biggest producer of beef.  Marbling in meat makes me shudder. It is possible to cook lean beef excellently..you just need to cut thinner and smaller pieces with flash sauteeing.

Think of this, bison is very lean and if you understand how to cook it well (not long), it's good to eat.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Grass fed cattle yield fattier meat.  If they are fed barley at feedlot, there will be a leaner, nicer (to us) meat.  

...I think you might have that reversed.  It's much more difficult to fatten a cow on only grass.  

The bovine digestive system, with it's multiple stomachs, is pretty much designed with grass in mind.  Any grain fed to them has a tendency to both add to their fat content and to harm their digestive systems, which is why you see so many fee lots acting as finishing systems for cows that eat range grass most of their short lives until they go to a finishing lot for fattening.  Or so I'm told.

Never actually had any cows, just horses, chickens and a couple of very hateful geese.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I think you might have that reversed.  It's much more difficult to fatten a cow on only grass.  

I was thinking the same thing -- but I defer to the experts. AFAIK, bison, for example, only is fed grass.  I always thought barley was to fatten 'em up?

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

?

How can you not miss a good burger?  Or a steak?  I haven't had steak since the last time you were out, btw, but I do miss it.

I will eat a good Bison burger.  Bison and Elk agree with me, beef, not so much.  With enough beer, I would probably eat a burger but pay for my misgivings. 

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

These are amazing.  I put a little teriyaki sauce, some fake cheese, cook them on the grill, or even on the stove top.

Image result for beyond meat burger

I have had that, and it is pretty damn good.  Not all the way there, but it checks off a lot of boxes that other non-burgers can't even approach.