Senior moments

onbike1939

On the plus side your post is very coherent.  I occasionally find myself making stupid mistakes like there/their, which I never used to do!  I think they are doing some excellent and interesting research on aging and dementia/alzheimers.  One thing is good sleep and of course exercise is very important for it.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/sleep-deprivation-increases-alzheimers-protein

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alzheimers-disease/expert-answers/alzheimers-disease/faq-20057881

• Heart 2

Don't feel bad...for about half the day on Thursday...I thought it was Friday :wacko:  :( The workers curse...I still had one more day to make it through!!

It happens...to all of us..and not just due to aging..sometimes anticipation (of a friends visit) some time being in a hurry and or running late...LOL I had to drive back to the house last weekend..took off to ride and then meet my sister..had bike hitch issues...purpose of meeting my sister after the ride was to give her a gift (post knee replacement)..HA..remembered about 3 miles down the road the gift was still at home.

However,  if it concerns you...talk to your doc.

5 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Don't feel bad...for about half the day on Thursday...I thought it was Friday :wacko:  :( The workers curse...I still had one more day to make it through!!

It happens...to all of us..and not just due to aging..sometimes anticipation (of a friends visit) some time being in a hurry and or running late...LOL I had to drive back to the house last weekend..took off to ride and then meet my sister..had bike hitch issues...purpose of meeting my sister after the ride was to give her a gift (post knee replacement)..HA..remembered about 3 miles down the road the gift was still at home.

However,  if it concerns you...talk to your doc.

Easily done if you're retired.  If it wasn't for my watch I'd never know what day of the week it was.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I was driving my truck across a bridge in the rain, and suddenly I remembered that I may have forgotten to release the emergency brake.  Just to be sure, I reach down under the steering wheel and pulled the hood release.  That was about 25 years ago.  Imagine how stupid I am now.  :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, onbike1939 said:

Things are getting worse and now I'm worried.

Last week I invited a friend up to see my new home which is a small flat and made sure I was up early to vacuum and make the place look good. After popping out to buy fancy cakes for my guests (she's 96 and has to be brought by her daughter) I sat down and waited for the text telling m she had left home and was on her way. So I waited....and waited...and waited some more and at 2 PM it began to dawn on me that something was wrong. It was....it wasn't Saturday as I thought, but Friday.

The same week I decided to check the oil level in my car and opened it up, pulled the bonnet release but the bonnet remained shut. Refused to open despite my attempts with long-nose pliers and a screwdriver with the catch. After an hour I gave up and took it to a nearby garage and asked this nice young mechanic if he could have a look at it. It's a testament to his skill that within two minutes he had located the fault and told me that I had been operating the release for the boot and not the bonnet. As we say over here....I didn't know where to hide my face. I left after instructing him never to grow old and as I left he was still laughing.......someone had probably told him a joke....probably.

This is a tragedy and every day I become more stupid. It's like watching a noble ruin gradually crumble away.....dear me yes. ?

You should ask @Rick5234 to come fix your car.  Have him check the light under the hood (bonnet)while he is there.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You should ask @Rick5234 to come fix your car.  Have him check the light under the hood (bonnet)while he is there.

Yes, Onbike.  If you haven't already read it, check out Rick's troubleshooting techniques using the bonnet lamp.  And he is much younger than us.  :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

31 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I was driving my truck across a bridge in the rain, and suddenly I remembered that I may have forgotten to release the emergency brake.  Just to be sure, I reach down under the steering wheel and pulled the hood release.  That was about 25 years ago.  Imagine how stupid I am now.  :)

One of my most memorable yet scary memories is after a company dinner with alcohol involved, a pair of cow-orkers in the next car leaving, one guy was too drunk to drive so his friend drove his car, got in and promptly released the hood catch. :D

OK, I don't think he was drunk, just unfamiliar with a Clark Griswold K-car station wagon. :D

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

OK, I don't think he was drunk, just unfamiliar with a Clark Griswold K-car station wagon. :D

This is sort of my explanation as well.  Here in the flatlands of SE VA, I seldom have a need to set the parking brake, so I was unfamiliar with the location of the release.  And since I was driving in heavy traffic, I couldn't very well scrunch down and look to see which release was which.  :)

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

This is sort of my explanation as well.  Here in the flatlands of SE VA, I seldom have a need to set the parking brake, so I was unfamiliar with the location of the release.  And since I was driving in heavy traffic, I couldn't very well scrunch down and look to see which release was which.  :)

I barely remember when parking brakes were where the hood release is now.

...the only reason I can keep the days of the week straight since I retired is by having them assigned to special tasks here.

Thursday is trash pickup day, so the cans need to go out Wednesday night.  Watering outdoors is restricted to Wednesdays and Sundays.  Sunday is farmers market day.

So I have Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday pretty well covered. 

I do screw up on the other ones every now an then, but the ones I do have well organized are spaced out over the week well enough that I only miss maybe two days in a row before I'm back on schedule.

A couple of days here and there is no big deal for me, but I'm an ex stoner, so as you can imagine my expectations are set pretty low in this area of day of the week. :blush:

I would also share with you the story of the time I took the electric car over to the dealership because I dcould not figure out how to turn off the passenger compartment light, which has an integral push button switch I had somehow bumped by mistake, but I won't.  I don't want to leave a poor impression, because I know a lot of people look up to me.:flirtyeyess:

• Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Well, in another two or three years, I will be able to kick your behind in an argument.  Unless my degradation exceeds yours of course. :) 

For fun, next time you get settled in the cockpit, look around and ask anyone in view "OK, where is it we're going today?"

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I went to a doctor's appointment on Tuesday, February 13th at 4 pm. I knew that it was on a Tuesday the 13th. I was a month early. On non-Leap Years, February and March have the same days of the week on the same days - well except for the 29th - 31st.

Umm-hmmm. :D

4 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I went to a doctor's appointment on Tuesday, February 13th at 4 pm. I knew that it was on a Tuesday the 13th. I was a month early. On non-Leap Years, February and March have the same days of the week on the same days - well except for the 29th - 31st.

I find it is helpful to write down the month when I get an appointment.  :rolleyes: :facepalm:

• Haha 1

Yes, that's all very well to be reassured with your personal experiences but you have to understand....I mean you're all just very ordinary people and really a minor lapse in your intellectual powers is not going to make a great difference. But I was an intellectual giant....oh yes......and how can I settle for less? 

It's devastating, not just for me but for society at large and it has all the pathos of a Greek tragedy.....seriously. ?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

I mean you're all just very ordinary people and really a minor lapse in your intellectual powers is not going to make a great difference.

This is very true.  No one should be surprised if an idiot does something idiotic.   :)

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

This is very true.  No one should be surprised if an idiot does something idiotic.   :)

I am very good at being a better idiot. :D  Actually and siriusly, it is the normal traps from bad designs that often get me.  They really piss me off - there is no excuse for bad designs making it into production!

http://baddesigns.com/

I assume it's just that as the years go by our brains are filled with all the wonderful memories and important things, so we don't have room for these non-essential details.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it (for at least as long as I an remember it).

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am very good at being a better idiot. :D  Actually and siriusly, it is the normal traps from bad designs that often get me.  They really piss me off - there is no excuse for bad designs making it into production!

http://baddesigns.com/

Thinking about taking this to the user experience team.

• Awesome 1

On 5/12/2018 at 4:53 PM, JerrySTL said:

I started for work one morning one hour early. I was driving along wondering why the diner was closed, when I realized what the problem was....

• Heart 1

On 5/12/2018 at 11:16 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That brings up an interesting quote: It's not the things we don;t know that are the problem, it is the things we do know that aren;t true. ?

Oh how true that is. My sister in law had a stroke several years ago and now believes things happened that never did. Nobody can convince her otherwise either. She is trying to divorce my brother over her false memories. They have been married 50 years. It’s quite sad and scary.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

I assume it's just that as the years go by our brains are filled with all the wonderful memories and important things, so we don't have room for these non-essential details.   That's my story and I'm sticking to it (for at least as long as I an remember it).

That's what I say too. Career-wise I've been a librarian and had to remember not only paper resources but at least 10 different fee-based research database systems  -- all different software platforms.   Not just the software features but the content scope so I would guide people within 5 min. for a range of resources based on their needs.  Software and content keeps changing, so I've had to replace certain things in my brain.  

After awhile, my career looking back, it's not all the research content, but some great clients and work situations are my best memories.  

I had a relief operator late one day giving me my break. He always planned it so he had the last break of the day and he would go straight to the shower the rest of the crew kept working until the next shift took over. He showed up ten minutes late for my break wearing his street clothes. He was an hour ahead of himself. He wondered why nobody else was in the locker room.