My new Gatorskin went flat in the garage

Ralphie

On 5/12/2018 at 8:30 PM, Road Runner said:

It wasn't the Gatorskin, it was your crappy $1.99 tube.  :)

Close!  Actually it was my crappy tube AND my crappy Performance Forte tire.  I KNEW a Gatorskin wouldn;t flat - yay!  The Gatorskin is the front tire, this was the back.  And Furthermore, I missed the hole with the first patch, so now I have a figure 8 patch.  The Park VP-1 patch kit does NOT include chalk. :facepalm:

This is ALMOST enough to drive me to running!

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Close!  Actually it was my crappy tube AND my crappy Performance Forte tire.  I KNEW a Gatorskin wouldn;t flat - yay!  The Gatorskin is the front tire, this was the back.  And Furthermore, I missed the hole with the first patch, so now I have a figure 8 patch.  The Park VP-1 patch kit does NOT include chalk. :facepalm:

I never patch a tube.  New tubes aren't that expensive.  :)  

If I could still run, I would run.  Hell, if I could still walk, I would walk!  

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ball point pen works well, and one should carry one to write down 'important' phone numbers that you acquire on the road and trail.:whistle:

43 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I never patch a tube.  New tubes aren't that expensive.  :)  

If I could still run, I would run.  Hell, if I could still walk, I would walk!  

I need to restock on tubes.  I have one left in my seatbag for an on the road spare.

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I need to restock on tubes.  I have one left in my seatbag for an on the road spare.

I need to find more people broke down on the road that need a tube and give some away. I keep buying tubes and never getting flats, I'm stocked up. That's what happens when you feel like you should at least buy something when you stop in the LBS to drool on new bikes and enjoy that new bike smell.

11 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I need to find more people broke down on the road that need a tube and give some away. I keep buying tubes and never getting flats, I'm stocked up. That's what happens when you feel like you should at least buy something when you stop in the LBS to drool on new bikes and enjoy that new bike smell.

Ahem... Guys your problems are solved!

i just went through my bike crap today and took stock. 2 new 700c tubes + one in each seat bag, 3 27.5 tubes (went tubeless so the two in my tires and spare) and 1 26" on my sons mtn bike.

I  was a big  fan of Hutchinson Rando Hypers, I think I have the 30c. Easy rolling, no flats, good cornering.

They don't make them any more, and after a quick look, there isn't much (nothing so far) that meets my criteria for a good tire.

I doubt I will wear out the ones I have now, but it looks like guys like me are dropping out of cycling.

33 minutes ago, late said:

I  was a big  fan of Hutchinson Rando Hypers, I think I have the 30c. Easy rolling, no flats, good cornering.

They don't make them any more, and after a quick look, there isn't much (nothing so far) that meets my criteria for a good tire.

I doubt I will wear out the ones I have now, but it looks like guys like me are dropping out of cycling.

My absolute worst tires ever were some Hutchinson Flash that were on sale at Performance for $5.  Well those suckers were soft as butter!  Had a Brazilian flats before I finally ditched them.  Gatorskins forever for me from now on!

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My absolute worst tires ever were some Hutchinson Flash that were on sale at Performance for $5.  Well those suckers were soft as butter!  Had a Brazilian flats before I finally ditched them.  Gatorskins forever for me from now on!

Hutch makes good tires and bad, so does Conti.

I tried gatorskins once, they ride like a truck, no give.

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hmm - maybe not forever then, I'll try to keep an open mind.  But flat resistance is my major want in a tire.

Me too, if I get a flat, next time I buy, I'll get something different.

Which is likely to get you some Schwalbes. Uber flat resistant, but dog slow. The Hypers were a brilliant compromise.

One thing about larger tires, the bigger they are, the lower the pressure, the less likely something will poke through. Some Rando guys swear by the classic French tire, and they are just a thin layer of rubber backed by an even thinner cotton 'sock'. But they deform easily, and rarely get flats, and, for the same reason, don't beat you up when you hit a bunch of potholes.

22 minutes ago, late said:

Me too, if I get a flat, next time I buy, I'll get something different.

Which is likely to get you some Schwalbes. Uber flat resistant, but dog slow. The Hypers were a brilliant compromise.

One thing about larger tires, the bigger they are, the lower the pressure, the less likely something will poke through. Some Rando guys swear by the classic French tire, and they are just a thin layer of rubber backed by an even thinner cotton 'sock'. But they deform easily, and rarely get flats, and, for the same reason, don't beat you up when you hit a bunch of potholes.

Conti makes great tires but I've been sold on Ritchey tires for ten years now.  I ride the Race Slicks WCS 25c's.  Reasonably priced, ride great and durable although I ride on great roads with little debris and potholes.