NBA Playoffs

Square Wheels

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Close, they won (decisively) game 3.  If the Celtics are going to pull this off, they have to win at least one in Cleveland.  I know they have home court advantage, but that feels too risky.

I haven't watched any of the series since I don't have cable.  I don't really know who will win (hard to believe, I know), but LeBron is the greatest all-around player I have ever seen and it is hard to bet against him under any circumstances.  

14 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I haven't watched any of the series since I don't have cable.  I don't really know who will win (hard to believe, I know), but LeBron is the greatest all-around player I have ever seen and it is hard to bet against him under any circumstances.  

This is true; however, one man does not a team make.  Last night the rest of his team decided to pitch in.

I hadn't attended an NBA game in years before I went on Johns Hopkins Alumni Nite to a Washington Wizards Game vs Minnesota last season.

The game itself was treated almost like a side show. There were frequent breaks in the game and contests and raffles and adverstisements of all kinds being run on the court and lots of loud music. The players stood around waiting for them to end so they could resume playing the game.

It was a lot worst than what passes for NFL games these days where epileptics have to be concerned from the flashing lights that accompany announcements of Papa Johns Pizza deals because the home team scored a TD in the first quarter, etc. I guess I'll never get used to extended commercials at the games themselves.

On 5/14/2018 at 12:13 PM, Square Wheels said:

Like the Bruins, these guys just keep finding a way to win.

What exactly are you talking about regarding the Bruins continously finding ways to win? They won only one game in the second round of the playoffs, and have 1 Cup in the last 45 years. Although maybe I should post this in the NHL Playoffs thread, where there is more traffic. ?

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Erie watching the Lightning beat the snot out of the Capitals. All of a sudden people around me were cheering at really odd times, nothing was happening in the hockey game. Turns out people actually do watch NBA (playoff) games.

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What exactly are you talking about regarding the Bruins continously finding ways to win? They won only one game in the second round of the playoffs, and have 1 Cup in the last 45 years. Although maybe I should post this in the NHL Playoffs thread, where there is more traffic. ?

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Erie watching the Lightning beat the snot out of the Capitals. All of a sudden people around me were cheering at really odd times, nothing was happening in the hockey game. Turns out people actually do watch NBA (playoff) games.

I think the Bruins did well this year considering all of the injuries and new players they had.  The Celtics were similar.  Hayward was out for the season after only playing 5 minutes.  Irving has been out since March.  A few other notables are also out. 

I don't take any of this too seriously.  I watched the Bruins while they were in it, then I stopped.  If the Celtics don't make it to the finals, that will be disappointing, but I don't bother watching. 

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I think the Bruins did well this year considering all of the injuries and new players they had.  The Celtics were similar.  Hayward was out for the season after only playing 5 minutes.  Irving has been out since March.  A few other notables are also out. 

I don't take any of this too seriously.  I watched the Bruins while they were in it, then I stopped.  If the Celtics don't make it to the finals, that will be disappointing, but I don't bother watching. 

Some have to turn every discussion about sports into a dick-swinging contest.  Don't dare offer any praise to your team, my team is better.

Interesting take on sports talk radio today.  Says talking head on radio:  If the Cavs win game 4 they will advance to the Finals. Lebron will mentally pack it in if they go down 3 games to 1 and it will be over in 5.

We'll see....  

22 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The game itself was treated almost like a side show. There were frequent breaks in the game and contests and raffles and adverstisements of all kinds being run on the court and lots of loud music. The players stood around waiting for them to end so they could resume playing the game.

This would be blamed on the TV ads, not the particular team or venue. They are just trying to fill the time during the TV ads so no live action is missed during commercials.  It pays the bills, but is annoying.

I have not gone to an NBA game since Jordan was a Wizard. Give me free tickets to a Wizards or Caps game, and I will go, but I am not likely to plan and pay.  Baseball I will go to since it is a relaxed, simple family affair and tickets in the cheap seats are just as fun. Football? Not likely as I don't want to deal with the logistics around here. A game in Philly, sure. My family has six season tickets, so I can usually make any Eagles game I want to make the trek up to Philly for. That only happens every few years, mainly for an early game and then a nice restaurant meal afterwards.

Tom

9 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

How dare you call the Rockets losing a thrilling Game 3 by only 45 points boring.  :angry:

I am a Laker fan and not really an NBA fan but my son is so we watch.  But yeah I find it kinda boring too and I like baseball!?!?

17 minutes ago, Ltdskilz said:

How dare you call the Rockets losing a thrilling Game 3 by only 45 points boring.  :angry:

Hey, let's get this right.  It was a much closer score than that.  GW only won by 41 points.  Not the grossly exaggerated 45 points you said.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Some have to turn every discussion about sports into a dick-swinging contest.  Don't dare offer any praise to your team, my team is better.

Sorry. I started seeing fairy tales for what they are sometime around 1st grade, iirc. You can only go so far with Boston sports arrogance. I don’t blame SW, but he’s influenced by his environment. And surely you can recognize there is no mention of “my team”.

22 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Sorry. I started seeing fairy tales for what they are sometime around 1st grade, iirc. You can only go so far with Boston sports arrogance. I don’t blame SW, but he’s influenced by his environment. And surely you can recognize there is no mention of “my team”.

How was I arrogant?  I recognized they may lose, just like the Bruins did.  I said I'd survive just fine and the sun will still continue to shine.

34 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I was giving you credit for actually having a reason to call out SW (team pride.) Otherwise, you were just being a dick.

Given the method you chose to respond to me, I can see you were just being you.

54 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I was giving you credit for actually having a reason to call out SW (team pride.) Otherwise, you were just being a dick.

Given the method you chose to respond to me, I can see you were just being you.

I don’t know you, and you don’t know me, any yet you chose to call out my post asking for clarification of the meaning of his statement. So I quoted you in my response. So it’s really just a reflection of you that you don’t like.