Interesting but obscure facts

Road Runner

1 minute ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

I thought for sure you had to have sketched it, the thought that someone else would come up with a bear, shark, alligator combined thing besides you boggles the mind

I can assure you I did not sketch that.  I have posted some of my post it note sharpie sketches for avatars in the past as proof.

1 minute ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

Fun fact:  If you are properly proportioned, your height is equal to three times the circumference of your head at the widest part.

Go ahead, I know you don't believe me.  Go get a tape measure..., I'll wait.  :whistle:

Can I measure around my ten gallon hat?

6 minutes ago, AirwickYongRulao said:

Greenville, South Carolina was the textile center of the world from 1919 - 1979 with the largest textile mill in the world under 1 roof with Woodside mill.  

woodside-mill_1467997902.png.63cec4f3119fb726732d6285ecb200bc.png

That looks like a picture from my Dad's model railroad

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, goldendesign said:

Now hipster Apartments! Been in them when they were still building the interiors. I always like how quaint Greenville was but could never fathom why my family, parents/elder sister, moved there.

Why have you never told me this?    :(

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, AirwickYongRulao said:

Your Dad pictured heaven as my Greenville. :)

Woodside was the biggest but we had 14 other mills polluting the air as fast as we could.  :)  

My dad grew up behind this place in Marysville NB.  In fact when Boss Gibson built the cotton mill, he purchased the land for it from my family.  Dad always had a mill in every layout he built.

770372237_Cotton_Factory_Marysville_N.B..jpg.b5a509982fafdf21f37e37f282600fba.jpg

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

I always like how quaint Greenville was but could never fathom why my family, parents/elder sister, moved there.

Greenville is "Asheville-lite".  Maybe they just didn't want to step too deep into "great", and thought "good enough" was doable?

Tom 

1 minute ago, AirwickYongRulao said:

Why have you never told me this?    :(

Which? I figured you knew the apartments part and I thought I mentioned my family living there. My sister lives in Anderson and my folks were in a piece of property north of Paris Mountain now living in FL but moving back to Rocky Bottom area soon

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

My dad grew up behind this place in Marysville NB.  In fact when Boss Gibson built the cotton mill, he purchased the land for it from my family.  Dad always had a mill in every layout he built.

770372237_Cotton_Factory_Marysville_N.B..jpg.b5a509982fafdf21f37e37f282600fba.jpg

Smaller than Woodside.   :slow-dance-smiley:

Woodside brothers developed Myrtle Beach. :nodhead:  

And the Poinsett Hotel.   Finest in the South. Destroyed the Peabody and Atlanta.  

1 minute ago, goldendesign said:

Which? I figured you knew the apartments part and I thought I mentioned my family living there. My sister lives in Anderson and my folks were in a piece of property north of Paris Mountain now living in FL but moving back to Rocky Bottom area soon

Anderson does not count.   :)

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, the FIRST peanut is on display at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History (free admission and located right on the Mall).

Tom

Do you have a contact there? I would make another trip to the swamp to see Martha the passenger pigeon. I think she's in storage now and not on display. You make this happen and I will buy you lunch and not consider you a schmuck.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, AirwickYongRulao said:

Do you have a contact there? I would make another trip to the swamp to see Martha the passenger pigeon. I think she's in storage now and not on display. You make this happen and I will buy you lunch and not consider you a schmuck.  

You can't walk a block without running into someone who works for the Smithsonian.  Those folks are everywhere.  Once I get one of my guys to sort out this new baby gorilla, I'll look into the pigeon thing for ya.

Tom

• Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The battle between the Monitor and the Merrimack was not fought by the Monitor and the Merrimack.

What's even worse is that a bridge-tunnel was built 26 years ago from Suffolk to Newport News near where the battle was fought, and it was named the "Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel".

And no one here even blinked an eye.   :(

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Angelic Zephyr said:

Fun fact:  If you are properly proportioned, your height is equal to three times the circumference of your head at the widest part.

Go ahead, I know you don't believe me.  Go get a tape measure..., I'll wait.  :whistle:

This sounds like a forensics fun fact.  

• Heart 1