Sign in to follow this  
Razors Edge

This Makes No Sense

...that in 2018, "free wifi" is a thing.  The way better idea, buried in the article, is the USB charging option.  

---------------------------------

WASHINGTON — A majority of D.C. Circulator buses now have free Wi-Fi and even more of the familiar red buses will soon.

The District Department of Public Transportation said 58 of the 72 buses in the Circulator fleet are now equipped with free public Wi-Fi. There are Wi-Fi-equipped buses on all six of the D.C. Circulator routes.

Wi-Fi will be standard on all future Circulator bus purchases, DDOT said.

“Integrating free Wi-Fi into the amenity offerings on our vehicles is a crucial step forward in delivering transit services that meet riders’ expectations in a digitally connected world,” said DDOT director Jeff Marootian.

Circulator buses equipped with free Wi-Fi have a symbol above bus doors.

Most Circulator buses already include USB ports and dual-screen digital displays.

The D.C. Circulator fleet is also the largest fleet of electric buses on the East Coast.

The 12-year-old Circulator system carried about 5 million riders last year across all six of its routes.

Tom

Many cell phone users don't have unlimited data access. I think we have wifi on our buses. I was looking at that menu on the phone one day and saw the public access address. I did not hook up, I generally don't in public.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, donkpow said:

Many cell phone users don't have unlimited data access. I think we have wifi on our buses. I was looking at that menu on the phone one day and saw the public access address. I did not hook up, I generally don't in public.

It's pretty much like taking one's clothes off.  Keep it private unless you're desperate.

On 5/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, Razors Edge said:

Integrating free Wi-Fi into the amenity offerings on our vehicles is a crucial step forward in delivering transit services that meet riders’ expectations in a digitally connected world,” said DDOT director Jeff Marootian.

So would having a Metro system that doesn’t close at 11:30,  or need to rely on Qatar for funding. 

22 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So would having a Metro system that doesn’t close at 11:30,  or need to rely on Qatar for funding. 

I gotta disagree to some extent - mainly because the only time you see an issue with the Metro closing at 11:30 (M-Th), or at 11 (Sun), is when there is a sporting event.  I have ridden the Metro at 11pm on a non-sporting event evening, and I can be the ONLY person in a train car. So, a lot boils down to cost vs benefit, and realistically, a Metro that runs often and safely during key commuter hours is far more important and has a far greater economic impact than one that spreads the same resources over more hours (resulting in longer times between trains and/or less safe & well-maintained trains).

In years past, Metro has been willing to allow third parties to pay for longer special operating hours. 

Tom

I’ve not taken the Metro into town at night when visiting Washington because I know I will be out of luck after 11:30. I know I have run to catch the last train of the night when I have attempted it. 

Does the majority of the city have prepaid monthly metro passes that makes running trains after a concert or sporting event not profitable on a cash, fee-for-service basis? I know our trains are packed after such events, and they extend hours if later service is needed to accommodate a late event.

21 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’ve not taken the Metro into town at night when visiting Washington because I know I will be out of luck after 11:30. I know I have run to catch the last train of the night when I have attempted it. 

Does the majority of the city have prepaid monthly metro passes that makes running trains after a concert or sporting event not profitable on a cash, fee-for-service basis? I know our trains are packed after such events, and they extend hours if later service is needed to accommodate a late event.

Keep in mind, Fri and Sat are 1am last train, so normal folks who work 9-5 jobs are covered if they go crazy on the weekend.

Then, running numbers, the Capital One Arena holds 18,000 people, so if ALL 18,000 were to ride the Metro after a game, to the farthest point (highest fair - ~$3.85), that's only  $69k in fares. But the reality is then that ALL 91 stations would need to remain open (generating some income, surely) but which would cost significantly more than the additional $69k in game attendee revenue.

I WANT the Metro open longer hours, but the financial reality imposed by being a two state/one federal district entity makes that darn near impossible these days.

Nats Park holds $40k+, but in the case of a sold out event like a World Series, Metro WOULD be open and running.

Tom 

Interestingly Japan which has great mass transit service also closes most of it's train runs at 11 or 11:30.  At least this is true in the parts of the country I'm familiar with around Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and points south.  There it's "make the train or feel the pain".

They do have taxi's sitting near the train stations after hours but it's going to cost you.