Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Razors Edge

This Makes No Sense

Recommended Posts

...that in 2018, "free wifi" is a thing.  The way better idea, buried in the article, is the USB charging option.  

---------------------------------

WASHINGTON — A majority of D.C. Circulator buses now have free Wi-Fi and even more of the familiar red buses will soon.

The District Department of Public Transportation said 58 of the 72 buses in the Circulator fleet are now equipped with free public Wi-Fi. There are Wi-Fi-equipped buses on all six of the D.C. Circulator routes.

Wi-Fi will be standard on all future Circulator bus purchases, DDOT said.

“Integrating free Wi-Fi into the amenity offerings on our vehicles is a crucial step forward in delivering transit services that meet riders’ expectations in a digitally connected world,” said DDOT director Jeff Marootian.

Circulator buses equipped with free Wi-Fi have a symbol above bus doors.

Most Circulator buses already include USB ports and dual-screen digital displays.

The D.C. Circulator fleet is also the largest fleet of electric buses on the East Coast.

The 12-year-old Circulator system carried about 5 million riders last year across all six of its routes.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many cell phone users don't have unlimited data access. I think we have wifi on our buses. I was looking at that menu on the phone one day and saw the public access address. I did not hook up, I generally don't in public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, donkpow said:

Many cell phone users don't have unlimited data access. I think we have wifi on our buses. I was looking at that menu on the phone one day and saw the public access address. I did not hook up, I generally don't in public.

It's pretty much like taking one's clothes off.  Keep it private unless you're desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, Razors Edge said:

Integrating free Wi-Fi into the amenity offerings on our vehicles is a crucial step forward in delivering transit services that meet riders’ expectations in a digitally connected world,” said DDOT director Jeff Marootian.

So would having a Metro system that doesn’t close at 11:30,  or need to rely on Qatar for funding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So would having a Metro system that doesn’t close at 11:30,  or need to rely on Qatar for funding. 

I gotta disagree to some extent - mainly because the only time you see an issue with the Metro closing at 11:30 (M-Th), or at 11 (Sun), is when there is a sporting event.  I have ridden the Metro at 11pm on a non-sporting event evening, and I can be the ONLY person in a train car. So, a lot boils down to cost vs benefit, and realistically, a Metro that runs often and safely during key commuter hours is far more important and has a far greater economic impact than one that spreads the same resources over more hours (resulting in longer times between trains and/or less safe & well-maintained trains).

In years past, Metro has been willing to allow third parties to pay for longer special operating hours. 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×