Flooding

MickinMD

Anyone having flood problems? Here in the mid-Atlantic we're getting an eight-day sample of what Noah must have initially experienced.

At least it's sunny in London for the Royal Wedding, which I didn't get up to watch but PBS is now showing the carriage ride right now. If you thought the Kentucky Derby was a muddy affair, wait until you watch the Preakness today - it's held at Pimlico Racetrack, several miles away from my home: Post Time: 6:20 pm EDT, coverage begins on NBC at 5 pm EDT.

I was awakened this morning, Saturday, by heavy rain pounding on my windows. Here in Central Maryland, We've had rain part of or almost all of the last eight days - including a hailstorm. It's supposed to continue, off-and-on, thru Sunday PM. There has been flooding in many communities.

I live on a high plateau and am safe from flooding but, while out grocery shopping at a few stores yesterday, I took a shortcut between highways and came upon a flashing warning sign about water on the road ahead: it turned out to be only about 3" deep, about 50 feet wide, and running strongly across the road.  With heavy rain through last night, it may be impassible now.

The water spraying high in the air as the cars and trucks ahead me made their way through it made it appear deeper and had me concerned about my little Honda Fit but it was no problem. It wasn't much different than this picture that Accuweather is showing alongside the weather for my area. You can see the water isn't that deep in the picture, but the spray the car is creating makes it look worse than it is. That's what I was seeing in front of me yesterday!

670033029_CarDrivingthruwater.JPG.8a81a68b67fb19844a7d7a8d608a4a46.JPG

The annual flood watch  in our city, along the whole of Bow River has just started May 15 and runs into mid-Jul.  So there are barriers that block off low-lying areas of bike-walking paths which is a headache from a commuting standpoint.

Yes we did have a major flood in 2013...100,000 people were evacuated. I was 1 of them. I ended up going to Vancouver to spend time until we could return back to home.

So the flood threat can be real where we are.

The bow River is fed by snowpack melt from Rocky Mtns. Real cause of major flood is having several consecutive days of hard steady rain, not the melting snowpack.

My Brother that lives on the banks of the Sassafras River has three feet of standing water in his yard.  @MickinMD not too far from Earlville.  Sump pump is running every 30 seconds and he bought a spare just in case.

At my Folks which sits higher the banks are overflowing but the house is dry.

The brother at HAck Point--- Bohemia River and Little Boehemis Creek--- can't use his driveway.  It is a mess

Back in 2011 we had Hurricane Irene, massive power outages, and I ended up with 3 feet of water in my basement.

So I bought a refurbished 1200 Watt Generator that only burns 1 gallon of gas every 4-6 hours that will run enough things in my house intermittently plus the TV and a light to get me through the next power outage.

Of course, I haven't checked it out in a few years, so if this latest rain had involved another power outage, I don't know how prepared I'd be. I think I have a power inverter in the car, but I don't think it will run a sump pump.

My brother-in-law and his family live out in Frederick, MD. They live on the west side near the fort, so they haven't had much trouble at the house, but there has been sever flooding downtown and a lot of roads around the county have been washed out.

• Sad 1