Life's twists and turns, health update

Dirtyhip

38 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

There is some hard work happening here. Since my diagnosis of pea cavus, arthritis along with massive inflammation, pain and stiffness, believe to be on the mend. 

I'm at 4 weeks of PT and  have 8 more weeks to go. The swelling is better all the time. I compress, elevate and ice daily. The good news is that I am back on Brutus and have changed my setup. I've got new flat style shoes and boomerang spike style pedals. It feels weird, but is starting to feel more normal. I did a jump today, and it felt pretty good. My feet stayed planted and I came down smooth as hell. 

Things are going to be ok. Just have to learn how to manage this and keep reasonable expectations for myself. As I train up again, I am doing my best not to charge the gate too fast. There are 4 more weeks, before my enduro. Don't care if I come in last. Just plan to train, ride the race and do my absolute best to smile and ride. 

Pain is often temporary and the pain that might remain reaffirms that you are alive.

Sometimes I use you as an inspiration.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Aww, thanks.  I always have said that there is nothing special about me. I'm just doing what most reasonable people would do when they meet some roadblocks.  

Spoiler

LOL, I just thought about the Blazing saddles toll booth.  Luckily, I already have a shitload of dimes.  ?

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

For the record so do I.

I keep realistic goals and work with what my body and lifestyle will allow but I'm not nearly dealing with what you are and I know you would eat my lunch out on the trails.

Stay at it and keep us posted.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

For the record so do I.

I keep realistic goals and work with what my body and lifestyle will allow but I'm not nearly dealing with what you are and I know you would eat my lunch out on the trails.

Stay at it and keep us posted.

I wouldn't eat your lunch, but maybe I would just take a couple bites of your cookie.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I've been absent from the forums enough this is the first I heard! I had to go back and review some older posts. I am glad to hear there is mending and strength is returning. Whenever a flair up occurs I always wonder a little bit in the back of the mind if this is the one that doesn't get better. I push, really push, through it all and mostly things work out in the end.

Get better, train hard but within the limits of your body and you'll have the success you always have!

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Glad to see you are progressing.  How are you doing with the orthotics?

They are far less painful.  I can wear them all day now.  Using them on pedals and with new MTB shoes is a double whammy.  My feet are sore at the end of ten mile ride.  

Doing my best to stay patient and ramp up properly. 

3 hours ago, smudge said:

You're back on Brutus and using flats??  Ha, nice!!! Glad you are easing back into things. I hope your progress remains steady. Patience can be very difficult.

The 5-10 shoe and spiked pedal interface is like glue.  I went to pull my foot off yesterday and it almost felt as though I was clipped.  The spikes do have a negative side.  The pedal barely touched the back of my calf and I was bloody.