Headwind, crosswinds..maybe whimpier with age??

shootingstar

I've noticed in past 2 years, I dislike cycling on roads when winds are headwinds or crosswinds more than 35 km./hr.  It didn't used to bother me. Maybe I'm overthinking this. I have to focus so I didn't slide across the road. Dearie tells because I'm shorter and smaller, I should worry less.  Worry less, because I have lower centre of gravity.

Well, ok. But still, that doesn't make me feel better.

I'm 100 lbs. and feel more secure when I have weight of groceries in my panniers. Except if I'm cycling with glass bottles or jars. I end cycling in slightly higher gears, just so I can feel more "anchored".  And braking lightly doesn't help because I could slide. For me headwinds, crosswinds 50 km./hr. are scarier.  

• Heart 1

You are pretty light and will feel the wind buffeting you more so than someone like me.

But as I've aged I've noticed I'm less comfortable at high speeds and cross winds. If I'm going down a hill and getting buffeted by winds I'll slow way down.

• Heart 1

My bike did shift abit sideways in the wind.  Good thing at that time I was in a cycle track today for only a small part of trip.  There have been experienced guys over 170 lbs. who have fallen off their bike in high wind gusts.

We had a windstorm that was 70 km. /hr.  With crosswind/headwind, I could not even mount properly onto my bike to gear up.  There are some very high wind areas in Alberta on a regular basis...so much that it's great to have a wind farm for energy.  

• Confused 1

No one likes riding in the wind.  Even a tailwind is sketchy, because you know what is waiting for you coming back the other way.  Heavy winds are scary for doing jumps.  It throws you off, and can be quite dangerous.  Riders that get a late afternoon run at Rampage, have skipped runs.  Opting out is better than death.