Frittata- mark of being better cook

shootingstar

So dearie dreamt of another creative dish. This time a frittata of egg white with a bit of skim milk, leftover tomatoes, onion, garlic, red pepper, basil, pesto, brown mushrooms and even a touch of balsamic vinegar.

It was delicious.  All I did was cut up the veggies and he did the rest.  He also made a quick soup with leftover cooked leek, tomatoes.  I really think this is mark of a good, creative cook.  This was supper.  We're having small amount of coffee and cardamom ice cream in a hr.

frittata.thumb.JPG.49cc2b8e9008f4964856e344c6c9d515.JPG

• Heart 3

He sautéed onions, garlic, veggies, etc. Added pesto in the middle of cooking and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.  Boiled a lot of the water that seeped out from veggies before adding whipped eggwhite with milk. He used a non-sticking pan.

the balsamic vinegar sounds weird even to me, but it melds well with the tomato..a slight sweet sour blend with trace of pesto throughout the frittata.  We both ate the whole thing..which was enough for 4 people.  He didn't use a recipe.

No worries since it's all good and healthy.  If whole eggs were used, then it would have had a heavier taste.

...they used to serve up a frittata at the Blueberry Hill Cafe down off California  Hwy 99 near Atwater that was absolutely to die for.

That was where I learned to put grated potato in as one of the vegetables. 

They served it up with a side of Portuguese linguica, thus cleverly offsetting any supposed health benefits.:)

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...they used to serve up a frittata at the Blueberry Hill Cafe down off California  Hwy 99 near Atwater that was absolutely to die for.

That was where I learned to put grated potato in as one of the vegetables. 

They served it up with a side of Portuguese linguica, thus cleverly offsetting any supposed health benefits.:)

He wanted to put a potato in. But we didn't have any on hand. Still, it was just fine. 

Frittata's are great for cleaning out the refrigerator and they are very easy to make.  I always use yolks though.  Whip the whites, fold in the beaten yolks, add seasoning and shredded cheese it desired and add to sautéed ingredients. Finish in the oven.  Fast and easy. 

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Wait, no yolks?  Why?  The yolk has a lot of good stuff.  

The yolks have 90% of the good healthy stuff.  I typed a whole reply up, then reread her post about saying it tasted "better heavier with the yolks", that is why the egg whites.

I am always amazed when I see people using the egg whites instead of the whole egg based on the nonsensical non-science scaremongering of the 1970's.  That really was based on nothing.  I remember my grandmother saying that it was nonsense when I was a little kid.  She was also right about the "eat your greens" when talking about healthy food.  I wish I listened to her more.

I say get used to the actual taste of the whole egg, it is far better for you!

Thanks for listing the ingredients: "...egg white with a bit of skim milk, leftover tomatoes, onion, garlic, red pepper, basil, pesto, brown mushrooms and even a touch of balsamic vinegar."

I often make a similar breakfast of scrambled eggs, frying in 1-2 tsp. olive oil: onion, bell pepper, and garlic then adding a couple eggs I've scrambled in a coffee mug with a little milk and 2-3 tbsp. chunky salsa. I'll have to try it with the addition of "basil, pesto, brown mushrooms and even a touch of balsamic vinegar."

Note that the "bad cholesterol" claims made about egg yolks have been shown to be a bum rap: "the effect of egg consumption on blood cholesterol is minimal" - The Mayo Clinic, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Note that the "bad cholesterol" claims made about egg yolks have been shown to be a bum rap: "the effect of egg consumption on blood cholesterol is minimal" - The Mayo Clinic, https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468

Don't tell SW that, he won't believe it.  The Mayo Clinic isn't prestigious enough when compared to the stuporous ramblings of hippies.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Don't tell SW that, he won't believe it.  The Mayo Clinic isn't prestigious enough when compared to the stuporous ramblings of hippies.

...I'm a hippie and I have always eaten the yolks of my eggs here.  The yolk's on you, man.:P

• Heart 1

Started eating eggs for breakfast a few years back.  Last year my cholesterol numbers were lower than they have ever been. That was after a year of two eggs 3-4x weekly. 

If you don't enjoy the yolks, well, that's another story.  Some people prefer whites only. 

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

No, you're right.  I used to eat a "regular" diet and always had a cholesterol over 200.  Now I eat well and my cholesterol is 131.  It clearly has nothing to do with diet.  I should eat eggs daily.

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

No, you're right.  I used to eat a "regular" diet and always had a cholesterol over 200.  Now I eat well and my cholesterol is 131.  It clearly has nothing to do with diet.  I should eat eggs daily.

Clearly it is the eggs that gave you bad cholesterol, right?  I will alert the Mayo Clinic, they will want to study the anomaly.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

...I have some concerns about a business that calls itself the mayo clinic when they talk about eggs and fat.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Clearly it is the eggs that gave you bad cholesterol, right?  I will alert the Mayo Clinic, they will want to study the anomaly.

Nope, I've never liked eggs.  My next thing to eliminate will be sugar.  I started listening to The Case Against Sugar, it's not written by hippies and sounds compelling.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope, I've never liked eggs.  My next thing to eliminate will be sugar.  I started listening to The Case Against Sugar, it's not written by hippies and sounds compelling.

Wait, you didn't start with sugar?  That is the most obvious thing to cut out first!  Yucky, wonderful sugar.  I want some now, but I have been mostly good

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

...sugar does have some (probably) undesirable effects on insulin metabolism, and especially on the body's fat storing response.

I'm not certain you can eliminate sugars entirely and not have some bad stuff happen, but there are plenty of natural sugars in the diet if you eat fruits and vegetables.

• Heart 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Wait, you didn't start with sugar?  That is the most obvious thing to cut out first!  Yucky, wonderful sugar.  I want some now, but I have been mostly good

Nope.  12 ore more years ago it started with gluten.  Then over the past 5 years I've decreased meat and junk.  Then last spring I went vegan, and reduced the junk more.  Now I want to eliminate it, along with added sugar.  Sugar is added to everything.  I don't smoke, but it's even added to cigarettes.  It's really hard to avoid.

Just now, Page Turner said:

...sugar does have some (probably) undesirable effects on insulin metabolism, and especially on the body's fat storing response.

I'm not certain you can eliminate sugars entirely and not have some bad stuff happen, but there are plenty of natural sugars in the diet if you eat fruits and vegetables.

I won't completely eliminate it, but I will stop eating candy, cookies, jelly and other treats.  I still use Skratch when I exercise.  I don't drink anything else sweetened.  It won't really be a big stretch for me to stop.  My wife did, so that will make it easier.

33 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I won't completely eliminate it, but I will stop eating candy, cookies, jelly and other treats.  I still use Skratch when I exercise.  I don't drink anything else sweetened.  It won't really be a big stretch for me to stop.  My wife did, so that will make it easier.

When I was riding a couple of years ago, I started taking bananas instead of anything other than water, unless it was hot enough to mush the bananas.  I rode better on that than anything else, it was kind of nice how that worked out.

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

When I was riding a couple of years ago, I started taking bananas instead of anything other than water, unless it was hot enough to mush the bananas.  I rode better on that than anything else, it was kind of nice how that worked out.

A recent study showed bananas can act as an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Eggs daily has been proven insignificant in altering cholesterol.  What does raise cholesterol is the composition of your diet.  Having a high saturated fat diet does increase cholesterol so if you have eggs, don't have a cheeseburger for lunch.  Everything in moderation they say.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:28 AM, dennis said:

I worked as a line cook at a restaurant that served frittatas. It's basically a flat omelette. You finish it in the broiler. We'd served 40-50 of them on Sat & Sun. I'm not sure I would want one made of just egg whites. 

Tastes fine. :)

I eat food made with eggs.  In restaurants I have scrambled eggs..it appears they are whole.  I've been like this for past decade or so, re egg whites.  Now if I told you that I don't stock butter for home fridge, I guess I'll get a volley of protests too.  (Remember, traditional Chinese diet doesn't use butter.)  He uses butter for specific dishes for taste.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Tastes fine. :)

I eat food made with eggs.  In restaurants I have scrambled eggs..it appears they are whole.  I've been like this for past decade or so, re egg whites.  Now if I told you that I don't stock butter for home fridge, I guess I'll get a volley of protests too.  (Remember, traditional Chinese diet doesn't use butter.)  He uses butter for specific dishes for taste.

So the question remains, why remove the yolks from a frittata? Volley of protests. That's funny.

51 minutes ago, dennis said:

So the question remains, why remove the yolks from a frittata? Volley of protests. That's funny.

Shrug. When I did eat eggs from home as a teen, it wasn't often. Maybe less than 4 per month. I never had eggs several times / wk. even as a child. What was my mother supposed to do ....we made our own breakfasts. I sure as heck, didn't fry up nor boil eggs out of my own teenage heart for everyone (5 other siblings) unless I was asked. :)  I was a lazy bum, eldest kid.  

For savoury treatment of eggs.....we had steamed egg custard with meat slices, etc.  It is comfort food that I make for myself at times. Photos are here.  The Japanese have an equivalent savoury egg dish also.  Rarely offered in restaurants.  Or I rarely fried egg rice or scrambled eggs with cut-up veggies.  Yea, sure make egg drop soup ...which hasn't happened ages.  Just lazy I guess.

My partner bought 6 dozen eggs to make crepes.  He only needed 4.  It took me 2 wks. to eat up the 2 other eggs myself. I enjoy eggs but haven't run out to buy more eggs regularily.

23 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Shrug. When I did eat eggs from home as a teen, it wasn't often. Maybe less than 4 per month. I never had eggs several times / wk. even as a child. What was my mother supposed to do ....we made our own breakfasts. I sure as heck, didn't fry up nor boil eggs out of my own teenage heart for everyone (5 other siblings) unless I was asked. :)  I was a lazy bum, eldest kid.  

For savoury treatment of eggs.....we had steamed egg custard with meat slices, etc.  It is comfort food that I make for myself at times. Photos are here.  The Japanese have an equivalent savoury egg dish also.  Rarely offered in restaurants.  Or I rarely fried egg rice or scrambled eggs with cut-up veggies.  Yea, sure make egg drop soup ...which hasn't happened ages.  Just lazy I guess.

My partner bought 6 dozen eggs to make crepes.  He only needed 4.  It took me 2 wks. to eat up the 2 other eggs myself. I enjoy eggs but haven't run out to buy more eggs regularily.

I bet you would make a good politician.

Let me restate the question. Why did you remove the egg yolks?

And to be clear 6 dozen eggs is 72 eggs.

• Heart 1

I don't remove it ---just buy carton of egg whites.  Habit, nothing else dennis.  Anything else?  Each of us have an illogical food habit that's not critical.  Certain veggies. I hope to go to a restaurant that makes its own tofu.. why do people hate tofu so much?  It's such a neutral thing to eat.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

why do people hate tofu so much?  It's such a neutral thing to eat.

No, it is not neutral. Soy contains phytoestrogens which mimics hormone estrogen in your body.  The ultimate effect isn't clear yet but it doesn't appear to be particularly good for men.  The jury is still out and being tested but I wouldn't call it neutral. 

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No, it is not neutral. Soy contains phytoestrogens which mimics hormone estrogen in your body.  The ultimate effect isn't clear yet but it doesn't appear to be particularly good for men.  The jury is still out and being tested but I wouldn't call it neutral. 

Sure.

Should I start eating food with more butter more often now?  Should I buy butter for home fridge now?  It takes nearly 5 months to use up butter at home.  I have to freeze it after he's done his crepes. I'm happy to have a slice of artisan bread plain or with a slice of cheese or hummus.

All in moderation. I said earlier to folks here, that I eat whole egg dishes at restaurants. 

Anyway it was a good light frittata. 

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Sure.

Should I start eating food with more butter more often now?  Should I buy butter for home fridge now?  It takes nearly 5 months to use up butter at home.  I have to freeze it after he's done his crepes. I'm happy to have a slice of artisan bread plain or with a slice of cheese or hummus.

All in moderation. I said earlier to folks here, that I eat whole egg dishes at restaurants. 

OK, they hate it for the texture. 

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Oh damn, maybe that's why I get dolled up and buy pink shoes!?!?!?!

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Sure.

We had similar upbringing food wise.  Not so much in eggs, butter or even milk. No  Ice cream, cakes & such.  My parents just didn't grow up with it so didn't eat it much so we didn't either.

Lots of rice, veggies, lean protein to supplement the veggie & rice & tofu.

• Heart 1

On 5/20/2018 at 11:40 AM, dennis said:

A recent study showed bananas can act as an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen.

They can also make you constipated.  The can also make you go poo.

Bananas are a conundrum when it comes to constipation foods to avoid. It's a matter of timing: Unripe bananas can cause constipation; ripe bananas can help relieve constipation. ... Bananas also contain fiber (pectin), which draws water from the intestines toward the stool.