Are you breathing fresh air?

Randomguy

4 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Near my office there is a sponge factory. Every so often that place generates some crazy smells. Nothing like living in a town with a paper mill. 

Yes, they give off interesting odors.  Aroma from the paper mill was the first hint a norther was blowing into town, when I lived in south Texas.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Near my office there is a sponge factory. Every so often that place generates some crazy smells. Nothing like living in a town with a paper mill, though. 

We've got a paper mill in the neighboring town. Every once in a while it sends out a nasty stank. But it's usually pretty good.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

Rainy season is upon us down here. Rain most afternoons and bright and sunny everywhen else.

Tropical sea breezes mostly everyday until mid-November. Yes the air is clean, crisp and great.

Don't attempt to make Florida sound good in any season other than winter.  Thank you.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, smudge said:

We've got a paper mill in the neighboring town. Every once in a while it sends out a nasty stank. But it's usually pretty good.

Paper mills are stinky. I know this is heresy but you know what else stinks? Breweries. Deshutes brewery is in town and when they are brewing ....eeeewww

The little brew pubs don't stink. So I don't know what the difference is. Brew stank covered up by the hamburger stank?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

As much as a bad rap the greater LA area has for air quality we have amazing air quaility. I live just a few miles from the Pacific with a usual off shore wind that blows all the crud into the inland areas like the LA basin. 

We have clean cool salty air 11.5 months of the year.

• Heart 1

Not as much as I should.  That's why I like to take walks or cycle.

There's a PBS special currently running on Queen Elizabeth II's life with her and relatives watching and commenting on a lot of old home movies about her life since she was a baby.

She points out, "We spent a lot of time enjoying the outdoors, a lot more than modern generations do."

That is so true today - for the young and those getting older.

It reminded me of the overweight kids that came out for the special program I ran as part of the high school cross country team I coached, where they were welcome on the team if they met the four requirements (grades, parent permission, passed physical, insurance), showed up for all practices and meets, and would build themselves up to and do at least the equivalent of three miles/day walking, running slow, or doing sprint or hill intervals. So many school-age kids, if they're not out for sports, are indoors: partly due to electronic entertainment and partly due to parent worries about the violent society in which we have.

By the end of the 12-week season, those who stuck it out lost a little weight and, even if they were still overweight, they had toned muscles and were clearly in good shape. They were walking advertisements - especially for girls - and the next season I'd have up to a dozen teens coming out with the goal of looking like last year's batch of heavy teens.

When I see my teenage and 10 year-old nephews glued to electronic games inside for hours at a time, I feel sorry for them and wonder what harm the lack of fresh air will do long-term. At least they play organized sports.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I always wonder if the air is deficient in Antarctica.  No plants or trees to produce the oxygen and all, you see.

Not a whole lot of critters using up the oxygen either. We also get oxygen from the ocean, not just the rain forest.

10 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Paper mills are stinky. I know this is heresy but you know what else stinks? Breweries. Deshutes brewery is in town and when they are brewing ....eeeewww

The little brew pubs don't stink. So I don't know what the difference is. Brew stank covered up by the hamburger stank?

Boiling wort smell is an acquired thing. Brewers love it. And the yeast smell..MMMMMM! 27th St (?) In Milwaukee usually smells amazing to me. It's yeasty.

• Whatever 1