Kale no!

Randomguy

I made some kale today, sauteed in chicken broth along with a cheddar brat.  Kale is tough and chewy, and I sauteed it forever and a couple days.  What do you do with it?

I have made kale chips in the past that have turned out really well, but have lost the art and forgotten the temp/time thing.

Grew up on the stuff...  My mom made a Dutch dish where she boiled potatoes. Fried several pork chops seasoned with SP & nutmeg, removed the chops and added cut up onion and cut up kale and saluted in the juices.  She added chicken stocks mashed the potato with some butter S&P and mixed the potato in with the kale and onion. Served with the pork chop.  Hearty Dutch winter food.  

I make navy bean soup with a chicken stock, onion, celery & carrots and add finely chopped kale. My family likes it.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Grew up on the stuff...  My mom made a Dutch dish where she boiled potatoes. Fried several pork chops seasoned with SP & nutmeg, removed the chops and added cut up onion and cut up kale and saluted in the juices.  She added chicken stocks mashed the potato with some butter S&P and mixed the potato in with the kale and onion. Served with the pork chop.  Hearty Dutch winter food.  

I make navy bean soup with a chicken stock, onion, celery & carrots and add finely chopped kale. My family likes it.

That sounds much better.  I have had finely chopped kale in soups before, the secret may be to blend the kale up nearly invisibly into whatever you are eating.  Today, the kale was front and center, in salad-sized chunks.  The brat was excellent.

Now I am making pork butt in the dutch oven.  It will be the pulliest pork I have all day (and the next day and the next day). 

• Heart 1

...buy younger (smaller leaves in the bunch) kale if you want it to be less tough. If you can find it there in the food deserts of New York.

If all you can get is the big leaves, sometimes you can get by cutting the leaf part off the stalk on both sides and throwing away the stalks.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

That sounds much better.  I have had finely chopped kale in soups before, the secret may be to blend the kale up nearly invisibly into whatever you are eating.  Today, the kale was front and center, in salad-sized chunks.  The brat was excellent.

Now I am making pork butt in the dutch oven.  It will be the pulliest pork I have all day (and the next day and the next day). 

Yeah it is a little chewy so I cut it into quarter sized chunks and pull the leaf off the stem and chuck the stems.  My mom left the kale on the stem but I think her reasoning was to not be wasteful.  It was still good just had to wind the kale up or you would choke on it.

10 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...buy younger (smaller leaves in the bunch) kale if you want it to be less tough. If you can find it there in the food deserts of New York.

If all you can get is the big leaves, sometimes you can get by cutting the leaf part off the stalk on both sides and throwing away the stalks.

Yeah, I cut the stalks off.  It was the tuscan kale, mostly flat that I got.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I just chop it very small.  That way, some of the chewing is taken care of.

For kale chips, I do 350F.  You must coat the kale with olive oil, to make it crisp up nice.

I seem to remember it in the 450 range, for just two minutes.  A quick squeeze of lemon and then parmesean cheese.  I wonder how close that is to what I did?