How do you cook green beans?

Randomguy

Grill

Pre-coat in olive oil with salt, pepper or other seasoning. Initially laid directly on grill but lost some as turned. Since got a metal veggie cooker and much easier to toss green beans (or other veggies) as they cook.

Similar is to mix yellow squash, zucchini, and onion marinated in olive oil and cook the same way.

• Heart 2

While I noted "Grill" earlier, what if you don't want to fire up the grill?

Alternate preferred method - Steamed. When you boil them, they lose a lot of their flavors. With steamed, the water is in the lower pot and the veggies in the upper basket. The accumulated steam from the boiling water below cooks them, retaining the juices and flavors as it cooks (softens) the veggie.

• Awesome 1

Fresh or frozen, I most often put a little water in a container with them and nuke them.

Canned, I drain the water and nuke them or, if I'm adding them to other things, I add them last so that they boil for about 5 minutes, to keep them from being overcooked.

An easy meal where I love a lot of green beans is boneless ham cut up in chunks (turkey ham is good and healthy here, but any kind is ok), potatoes cut in bite-sized pieces and green beans, boiled in water.  I use a slotted spoon to get them out of the water and into a bowl, where I liberally bathe them in margarine.

I just got back from taking my first long walk in over a week, walking my brother's 72-lb golden doodle Jake for an hour's walk along the hills near an Equestrian Center.

My trapezius muscles are getting a little better but were still cramping a lot near the end, and Jake is slowly learning not to drag me along the entire time so I do think my calves will hurt so much by tomorrow.

Consequently I'm glad I have leftover baked chicken thighs, scalloped potatoes, and peas in a big container ready to be nuked.

But I haven't had Chinese for a while, so I may do carryout tonite.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Grill

Pre-coat in olive oil with salt, pepper or other seasoning. Initially laid directly on grill but lost some as turned. Since got a metal veggie cooker and much easier to toss green beans (or other veggies) as they cook.

Similar is to mix yellow squash, zucchini, and onion marinated in olive oil and cook the same way.

this

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Fresh or frozen, I most often put a little water in a container with them and nuke them.

Canned, I drain the water and nuke them or, if I'm adding them to other things, I add them last so that they boil for about 5 minutes, to keep them from being overcooked.

An easy meal where I love a lot of green beans is boneless ham cut up in chunks (turkey ham is good and healthy here, but any kind is ok), potatoes cut in bite-sized pieces and green beans, boiled in water.  I use a slotted spoon to get them out of the water and into a bowl, where I liberally bathe them in margarine.

I just got back from taking my first long walk in over a week, walking my brother's 72-lb golden doodle Jake for an hour's walk along the hills near an Equestrian Center.

My trapezius muscles are getting a little better but were still cramping a lot near the end, and Jake is slowly learning not to drag me along the entire time so I do think my calves will hurt so much by tomorrow.

Consequently I'm glad I have leftover baked chicken thighs, scalloped potatoes, and peas in a big container ready to be nuked.

But I haven't had Chinese for a while, so I may do carryout tonite.

If they are frozen, you do not need to add water.  They have sufficient ice in them to do the job and still leave them crisp when cooked.  Just a pat of butter and something around 2 minutes or less.

6 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

We sometimes cook them with mushroom soup. Yummmmmm!

Bake - French cut green beans, cream of mushroom soup, dried onion rings = green bean casserole. One part of a Thanksgiving dinner.