May 20 miles or whatever

petitepedal

We had stuff planned both mornings of the weekend so no usual rides but we packed the bikes and did an evening beach cruise of 15 miles. I rode the crosser so I could try out the pink Giro Empires.

i had to adjust the laces at the top of the shoe as they were a tad too tight but once done they are super comfy. They are really close to the weight of my road shoes too even with the lugs. I like them so much I may put SPDs on my Bianchi...

• Heart 3

It was one of those "where did the day go?" sort of rides.  Kept finding stuff to do around the house, when it is almost 5pm and I haven't gotten my ride in.  The past week of rainy weather has really thrown off my ride schedule.  Anyway, 39 miles.

IMG_6100.thumb.PNG.f4e5bd3cd0aee9c8ca425dd03f711749.PNG

Tom

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

No ride for me. Too much to do on the first sunny day in over a week. Took the doors and roof panel off of the Jeep. What a nice ride with no doors! We drove to Great Falls to look at the flooded Potomac but the line to get in was way too long; we turned around and went to Riverbend, a county park just up river. The water was high and fast, no wait to get in and it was free instead of the $10 the National Park Service charges at Great Falls. 

• Heart 4

20 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

No ride for me. Too much to do on the first sunny day in over a week. Took the doors and roof panel off of the Jeep. What a nice ride with no doors! We drove to Great Falls to look at the flooded Potomac but the line to get in was way too long; we turned around and went to Riverbend, a county park just up river. The water was high and fast, no wait to get in and it was free instead of the $10 the National Park Service charges at Great Falls. 

Yeah - we generally only go to Seneca or Riverbend. Great Falls (both sides) is great if there is no line, but WTF would you wait in line??? It backs up and messes with the surrounding roads, too :(

How is the river's level?  I thought about going to check it out, but always get sidetracked with other things to do.

Tom

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - we generally only go to Seneca or Riverbend. Great Falls (both sides) is great if there is no line, but WTF would you wait in line??? It backs up and messes with the surrounding roads, too :(

How is the river's level?  I thought about going to check it out, but always get sidetracked with other things to do.

Tom

We turned around as soon as we saw the line to get in. Riverbend was a ghost town. I guess most people don't know about it. The boat ramp was under water. Do you know where the fence is to the left of the boat ramp? The river is usually 6-10 feet below that fence. Yesterday, the fence was half submerged. The kayak and canoe storage racks were under water too. Not a lot, but still under. The trail to Great Falls was closed due to flooding. 

• Heart 2

28 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

We turned around as soon as we saw the line to get in. Riverbend was a ghost town. I guess most people don't know about it. The boat ramp was under water. Do you know where the fence is to the left of the boat ramp? The river is usually 6-10 feet below that fence. Yesterday, the fence was half submerged. The kayak and canoe storage racks were under water too. Not a lot, but still under. The trail to Great Falls was closed due to flooding. 

A couple years ago we went after a strong storm dropped a lot of rain and got these pics which seem to be similar to your visit yesterday. Hit GF that day too (bottom pic):

IMG_1865.thumb.JPG.8ea7fcf2695afe52a8675db4704f74e8.JPGIMG_1864.thumb.JPG.ea3d3bdbf6021a638963ac27611f6453.JPGIMG_1863.thumb.JPG.1bb0a474e829bbc8b30be60a892970f7.JPGIMG_1859.thumb.JPG.0152c243d8eb00e5e04b22d6406f7379.JPG

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

Yesterday afternoon ended up being a little nicer than expected (in that it wasn't a complete washout).  I got in about 10 miles with the kids, who are getting strong.  Actually with yesterday's miles Nathan had 40 for the week (!) just riding around the neighborhood.

I have decided to take Friday off - the weather looks perfect and I am going to ride my favorite route (40 miles over Sourland Mountain) which is probably more miles than I should shoot for but whatever.  It's been a long time coming.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1