Good Stock Market Day to Start Soon?

MickinMD

The S&P 500 futures are up over 1/2% and the Dow futures nearly 1%, apparently because the American-Chinese tariff/trade talks are in a "truce" - which, of course, means nothing but "Mr. Market" is seldom logical over the short-term.

Of course, if the market starts out strong today, some other useless piece of information may turn the market negative by noon!

The market is so easily stampeded up or down this year that I wonder if it's being manipulated, like Merrill Lynch did and G W Bush fined it $185,000,000.

Glad for the up day which can offset some of the down days recently.  But I also try not to get caught up in short term moves.  Like DH, I try to make sure my asset allocation is where I want it, and then cross my fingers.

I don't think it's being manipulated so much as responding to constantly changing winds.  It seems every hour there's a new surprise either up or down.  The new era of alternate realities is affecting the market.  Individual traders respond emotionally, investors take advantage of that.

So this is what I don't get.  If you want to buy invest in stock, unless it's something as large as perhaps china/American trade wars, do people really say to themselves -- well I better not buy this because Sudan just invaded Bangladesh? Do they just wait for small news days when the buy?  And conversely do you sell your stock when you find out, for example, that Wilbur crashed his plane into the CN tower?  I can only suspect there must be lot of ephemeral day traders.