The Best Park in Every State

Kirby

Money Magazine did an article listing its pick for the best park in every state.    Do you agree with the pick for your state?  For New York, they chose Central Park.  That's a hard choice because the upstate parks certainly are more impressive from a nature/hiking standpoint, but Central Park is iconic and a gem within a major city. 

Maine has two.

Everybody knows about Acadia. Btw, Acadia is more than the island. It's also half of Isle au Haut, and there is a small part of it on the Schoodic Peninsula (that's right next to Bar Harbor, the next place going up the coast.).

The other one is Baxter State Park, and that's my favorite. The catch is that you need to be a backpacker. My favorite trip was to backpack into the middle of the park, and stay at Russell Pond, or the Little Wassataquoik shelter. Spend a day or two there, bring a compact fishing rod. You then hike up the back side of Katahdin to the Davis Pond shelter. On the following day you go over  the col (or keep going to the summit) and then down to the Chimney Pond campsite.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwZDw990Jj6NLURxcVRTM05GNVk/view

• Heart 1

Wakodahatchee Wetlands? What???

Never heard of it and wetland parks are a dime a dozen in FL. I have 3  within 30 miles, one of which is a national park you can see rocket launches from as it borders NASA property. From a State whose most well know park is Disney, they chose that one, and in terms of wetlands, there is always the Everglades In a State known for parks, why not John Pennekamp Park, the only park  in the country that is 100% under water. Then there are the pristine, and sometimes secluded, beach parks that are in a natural state without highrises or other development.

Some spots are quaint local parks, others bustling community hubs. Several are massive national parks. All were singled out by a Yelp algorithm that considered both the number of positive park reviews and its business star ratings.

MONEY then added travel costs, where available, generated from its Best in Travel database—factoring in average flight, hotel, car, and food prices. The price is based on a three-day trip for two people; if a city is identified in parentheses next to the price, it’s because we used that city rather than the park’s nearest town.

...Yelp is a strange way to select anything.  The majority of people posting a review on Yelp are either pissed off, or posting a favorable review because they're involved in the business they're reviewing. That said, Point Lobos is pretty swell.  But so are the majority of California's state and federal park lands, as well as some lesser known BLM spots that are free admission.

I haven't been to Billy Goat Trail along the Potomac in Maryland, but since I'm watching my 10 year-old nephew on Wednesdays this Summer, I think I'll take him there.

As far as the total experience goes, I think Antietam National Battlefield is the best - it's a scaled-down Gettysburg which is actually closer to most Marylanders.

Then there's Calvert Cliffs State Park along the Chesapeake in Southern Maryland with a lot of playground stuff for kids and a mile walk through a pleasant woods to the cliffs, where you can sift the sand for fossilized giant sharks teeth, etc.

There's also Patapsco State Park with playground stuff for kids, a swinging bridge all the way across the river, easy and hard mountain bike and hiking trails, etc.

A separate section of Patapsco State Park along the narrower upstream part of the river has a bunch of playing fields and picnicking pavilions on a plateau which are at the head of a hiking trail that takes you down past raspberry bushes to part of the river where you can swim below a small falls, hike through woods to some interesting lookouts, and also hike along a section of rocks similar to the picture of the Billy Goat Trail.

• Heart 1

This poll is pretty much crap.  It is based off of Yelp reviews ( ie. Hipsters) and business star ratings (i.e Fake News).  No way is a park in the middle of Austin the best park in Texas.  Too many remote water holes, Big Bend canyons, East Texas piney woods, Gulf coast parks for Austin to hold a candle too.

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Phipps isn’t really a Park, it’s a botanical conservatory. Not really what I think of when I think “Park”. No hiking, fishing, grilling, boating... it’s not even outdoors.

That is how I feel about Lake Harriet a few places to grill..path around the lake and a bandshell and maybe a restaurant...What about Itasca state park and the headwaters of the Mississippi or one of our great North Shore parks with camping, trails and waterfalls :dontknow:

37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This poll is pretty much crap.  It is based off of Yelp reviews ( ie. Hipsters) and business star ratings (i.e Fake News).  No way is a park in the middle of Austin the best park in Texas.  Too many remote water holes, Big Bend canyons, East Texas piney woods, Gulf coast parks for Austin to hold a candle too.

...Big Bend Park is pretty nice.  I spent about a week in there once with a high clearance Toyota truck and had a pretty good time.  I heard that they closed the crossing over to Boquillas.  Idiots. :angry:

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Cherokee park for Kentucky isn't bad.  Just too close to downtown.  They should have chosen this...

http://parks.ky.gov/parks/historicsites/big-bone-lick/

We used to park there and do rides in the area. Good hills for climbing and fast descents. Nice views of the Ohio River and arise through Rabbit Hash KY. 

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...Big Bend Park is pretty nice.  I spent about a week in there once with a high clearance Toyota truck and had a pretty good time.  I heard that they closed the crossing over to Boquillas.  Idiots.  Texicans! :angry:

fify

Forest Park in St. Louis, Missouri is great. It includes one of the best Zoos in the USA and it's free to get in. Larger than Central Park. Art and History museums. Golf course. Miles of separate bike and running paths. And my favorite - the outdoor Muny Theater which holds over 10K people including over 1K free seats.

I thought that they might have chosen the 250 mile long Katy Trail State Park.

28 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Harper's Ferry is very nice. It is close to Antietam, which is also cool to visit as the Mick said. The Billy Goat Trail is a good hike but bring water. You get thirsty and there is no water other than the Potomac. 

I need to actually tour those places..the Great Adventure was like a fly by.

7 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I am shocked - shocked, I say! 

Of course any fool knows NY does not exist above the Tappan Zee.

The Tappan Zee no longer exists, it’s now the Cuomo. 

7 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Wakodahatchee Wetlands? What???

Never heard of it and wetland parks are a dime a dozen in FL. I have 3  within 30 miles, one of which is a national park you can see rocket launches from as it borders NASA property. From a State whose most well know park is Disney, they chose that one, and in terms of wetlands, there is always the Everglades In a State known for parks, why not John Pennekamp Park, the only park  in the country that is 100% under water. Then there are the pristine, and sometimes secluded, beach parks that are in a natural state without highrises or other development.

Maybe I'm just partial to DelRay beach in general, I go down there at least once a year, but I love that park. You are correct we have wetlands preserves everywhere and many just as beautiful, Bok Tower I would say would best the Wakodahatchee in overall splendor but I do love it nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Old#7 said:

Harper's Ferry is very nice. It is close to Antietam, which is also cool to visit as the Mick said. The Billy Goat Trail is a good hike but bring water. You get thirsty and there is no water other than the Potomac. 

Harper's Ferry is awesome!  That's another one on my bucket list with my 10 year-old nephew this summer, hopefully on a day they've got reenacters doing something.  My other nephew loved being able to question the actor who portrayed a woman captured as a confederate spy.

Ok so outside our 3 national parks, I would have agree that Point Defiance in Tacoma is an amazing park. There are many things to do and see there but no way in heck it beats Mt. Rainier National Park or Olympic National Park. If a small zoo and aquarium are your thing, then I suppose so.

5 hours ago, goldendesign said:

Maybe I'm just partial to DelRay beach in general, I go down there at least once a year, but I love that park. You are correct we have wetlands preserves everywhere and many just as beautiful, Bok Tower I would say would best the Wakodahatchee in overall splendor but I do love it nonetheless.

DelRay Beach is nice, and I suspect the park is nice but was surprised as looking at it's website didn't see anything that made it stand out from other wetland parks.  Closest to me, and have posted several pictures on this forum, is the Orlando Wetlands is 1600 acres that shares last stage clean sewage treatment filtering out phosphorus and open for hikers, bikes and equestrian (no cars). A little further east is an international birding destination - the 7 mile Merrit Island Black Point Drive as part of the Canaveral National Seashore and it's pristine sandunes, And in the opposite direction, the recovery/rehabilitation work done on Lake Apopka resulted in a huge 11 drive and a separate even longer trail with minimal overlap for hike/bike/horses. Two others would like to go to but never found the time - Viera Wetlands near Melbourne and another they recently developed around Winter Haven that I use to go fishing around as a child.  Agree with you on Bok Tower and use to have annual pass until last year where our local Lieu Gardens pass was cheaper - and provides reciprocity to Bok Tower and hundreds of others around the country.

Another thing we have started doing I visiting the older "original" parks - Silver Springs, Weeki Wachee, Sunken Gardens, Homisassa, and pancake breakfast as DeLeon Springs. Cypress Gardens was my hometown but it doesn't exist anymore and I haven't been to Legoland. On my bucket list - 1) Camping at Bahia Honda State Park (the Keys) , Alligator Farm in St Augustine - not for gators, but is an aviary that doesn't require a telephoto lens. Another is the burrowing owls in Coral Gables, but had to cancel my trip to the nearby state park last year as the campground was flooded even before Hurricane Irma hit - which were the dates I had reserved. There are so many that I have been to that this only scratches the surface.

• Awesome 1