You'll Never Guess What Happened

Kirby

You know that closet in my bedroom I just fixed, it's fine.  You know that closet in the spare room that is always falling down or has to be taken down because the water heater is in the back of the closet?  It's fine.   But that closet in the office that hasn't collapsed before?  I found it all collapsed when I got home from work today.

It's always a bother to repair the closet,  but it's a good forced opportunity to clear out some of the old clothes and junk in the closet.

I'm sure it's going to be fine this time.  :nodhead:

• Heart 3

After a weekend of working on the closet, I hung up all the clothes and was going to wait a day before I started putting stuff back on the floor or the shelf.  I felt good that I had cleared out over 4 big bags of stuff to bring to Goodwill yesterday.  Unfortunately, shortly after I hung up the clothes,  I heard a "sound".  The closet hadn't collapsed completely, but two of the clips had come out.  I was tempted to ignore it since the other supports seemed to be holding it up for the time being, but better to try to fix it now than after I reload all the other stuff.

But I'm sure it's going to be just fine next time. :whistle:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

After a weekend of working on the closet, I hung up all the clothes and was going to wait a day before I started putting stuff back on the floor or the shelf.  I felt good that I had cleared out over 4 big bags of stuff to bring to Goodwill yesterday.  Unfortunately, shortly after I hung up the clothes,  I heard a "sound".  The closet hadn't collapsed completely, but two of the clips had come out.  I was tempted to ignore it since the other supports seemed to be holding it up for the time being, but better to try to fix it now than after I reload all the other stuff.

But I'm sure it's going to be just fine next time. :whistle:

...first, I'm not knocking your home repair skillset.  I admire the fact that you do this stuff yourself.

But I am getting the general feeling from the number and frequency of your closet collapses that maybe you need some better structural engineering in there.

A lot of modern closet construction is pretty slapdash, and it's not all that difficult to rebuild one of them into something less marginal. If you post photos of your shelving, and the supports for it, as well as the way in which the closet pole itself is held up in the closet, someone who cares about you and is worried that one day soon you will be buried alive by a closet collapse and never heard from again, might be able to make some helpful suggestions for overall improvement and upgrades. But I do realize this motivates you to get rid of stuff (a thing I'm very bad at).  So maybe the current closet paradigm as it exists is the best one for you personally.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

That's sweet of you, Page, and I can assure you these are the cheapest possible closet organizers and I've been patching them together with the equivalent of scotch tape and thumb tacks.   My goal is to keep this system together until I retire and can get rid of most of the work clothes that weigh things down and have time to have someone come in and do a real redo of the closets.  Plus I've got a number of closets, so at least it's not the same one falling down all the time.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

...you're going to stop work ?:o  I was counting on you to keep things organized and running smoothly out there in the world. :(

If you retire, I'm left with a bunch of slackers and miscreants who will quickly adopt "casual Tuesdays" as the new workplace standard.:angry:

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...you're going to stop work ?:o  I was counting on you to keep things organized and running smoothly out there in the world. :(

If you retire, I'm left with a bunch of slackers and miscreants who will quickly adopt "casual Tuesdays" as the new workplace standard.:angry:

Don't worry, it's not for some time yet.

...I am filled with both happiness for me, and sympathetic distress for you. The cognitive dissonance is almost more than I can handle.:frantics:

I couldn't help but notice, however, that you did not disagree with my "remaining slackers and miscreants" assessment. :(

• Heart 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am disappointed that Mr. Cheese ( @AirwickWithCheese ) hasn't been to NY to fix your closets.  He really is handy like that and then he said he would help me pick flooring for the new house.

Perhaps he doesn't realize how close you are to the grape pie store.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

This story left me wanting for more.  You never told us how the collapse of the closet made you feel.

I don't know how the story ends yet. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

I don't know how the story ends yet. 

If you put a 1"x4" across the back of the closet, with the top of the board where you want your shelf to sit, you can screw the board into the studs & substantially increase the longevity of your shelf life (LOL).

For added strength, you can add 1"x4"s along the sides, too.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, 2Far said:

If you put a 1"x4" across the back of the closet, with the top of the board where you want your shelf to sit, you can screw the board into the studs & substantially increase the longevity of your shelf life (LOL).

For added strength, you can add 1"x4"s along the sides, too.

Way to try and mess up a good story.

Page, you ignorant slut...

What is clear here in this whole equation is that the sassy Ms. Kirby is massively overloading her closets and should stop being a hoarder immediately. 

While it may be true the closets were not well-designed, the volume that Ms. Flouncypants is expecting them to hold is not in the realm of normalcy. 

There you go, Friday tough love. Sorry Kirby!  Can you retire immediately and pave over your closets?

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

The collapse of a closet is always a good time to do a cleaning as they do tend to get overloaded.  I took 6 bags of stuff to Goodwill and have two more ready to go. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

The collapse of a closet is always a good time to do a cleaning as they do tend to get overloaded.  I took 6 bags of stuff to Goodwill and have two more ready to go. 

Kirby, when we're together, I prefer not to just give things away. I believe in free markets and greed is good. Ebay, craigslist, yard sales, have all helped make me the man I am today. :nodhead:

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Kirby, when we're together, I prefer not to just give things away. I believe in free markets and greed is good. Ebay, craigslist, yard sales, have all helped make me the man I am today. :nodhead:

I had my doubts that you were marriageable until I read this, I am now positive that she is planning on throwing herself at you at her earliest convenience. 

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

this seemed like a lot of posts so I didn't read them.  What happened?  I can't guess.

Downside : closet is still falling apart slowly.

Upside Kirby is not yet buried in the collapse debris, texting her wild sister, who orders something besides the turkey sandwich, for help.

The story is, like all good ones, still unfolding (intentional closet pun). :popcorn:

• Heart 2