Stock alternative?

Randomguy

I have come at this cooking thing later in life than some others, so there are knowledge gaps I have.  I have cooked with stock, but dislike hauling it around from the grocery store, and the fact that it goes bad if you don't use it up.  Plus, it is pricey as hell.

Is there an alternative that works well?  Bouillion cubes sound like a nice alternative, what is the story?  Are some much better than others?

...for what purpose are you using the stock ? There are alternatives for certain things, like making soup, but they usually turn out more laborious.

The whole idea of saving stock is that often it is the product of another, previous meal adventure ( like roasting a chicken/turkey ), so you use up stuff that might otherwise be wasted.

So buying stock in box packages at the store turns out to be a convenience, even if the stock itself is less rich and tasty than that which you  can make yourself. I use it sometimes, and I am notoriously cheap. Youi can remedy the spoilage issue by freezing half of any box you open, reducing your time pressure to use it up.

Cubes suck, even the ones you get in fancy pants stores.

I love stock, but I am usually too lazy to make it, and then forget to buy it.

So... I keep a variety of things to use in a pinch.

Trader Joes has a "red pepper spread". I use the stuff all the time. It goes into soups, BBQ, tomato based sauces, and more. You can buy tomato paste in tubes like toothpaste tubes. Everyone sells them, including Trader Joes.

You can use miso. A small amount is a nice addition in a lot of things. But what you want to do is go to a fancy pants store like Whole Foods, and expect to pay 9 or 10 bucks. Start with white miso. These will have a milder flavor than Asian misos. Koreans make a spicy version of miso that's good for BBQ, and other culinary adventuring.

I'm not a big fan of truffles. But truffle salt can add a nice touch to a lot of dishes.

Top quality oils. Walnut oil makes a great salad dressing. But keep a variety, toasted sesame oil. Finding good olive is tough. But it's worth the effort. If you find it, it will be really expensive, so use it as a sort of garnish at the end of cooking. Please be aware that most expensive olive oils are not worth the money, and be prepared for sticker shock.

I always have a variety of sauces and pastes, harissa paste, chipotle sauce, etc.

Good soy sauce. The stuff I used to buy is no longer imported. I have no idea where to get a good Japanese soy sauce now. If you find it, please let me know. It will not seem like soy sauce to you, if all you've seen is the stuff in restaurants and stores.

Learn how to make a roux, it's not hard.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, late said:

Trader Joes has a "red pepper spread". I use the stuff all the time. It goes into soups, BBQ, tomato based sauces, and more. You can buy tomato paste in tubes like toothpaste tubes. Everyone sells them, including Trader Joes.

You can use miso. A small amount is a nice addition in a lot of things. But what you want to do is go to a fancy pants store like Whole Foods, and expect to pay 9 or 10 bucks. Start with white miso. These will have a milder flavor than Asian misos. Koreans make a spicy version of miso that's good for BBQ, and other culinary adventuring.

I'm not a big fan of truffles. But truffle salt can add a nice touch to a lot of dishes.

Top quality oils. Walnut oil makes a great salad dressing. But keep a variety, toasted sesame oil. Finding good olive is tough. But it's worth the effort. If you find it, it will be really expensive, so use it as a sort of garnish at the end of cooking. Please be aware that most expensive olive oils are not worth the money, and be prepared for sticker shock.

I always have a variety of sauces and pastes, harissa paste, chipotle sauce, etc.

Good soy sauce. The stuff I used to buy is no longer imported. I have no idea where to get a good Japanese soy sauce now. If you find it, please let me know. It will not seem like soy sauce to you, if all you've seen is the stuff in restaurants and stores.

Have you tried this?

10 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Have you tried this?

I don't dress to impress. My car is an 11 year old Sonata.

But the quickest way to understand my approach to life is for me to tell that I live in a modest ranch. A ranch that has an acre of really nice yard. We saved for 6 years to go on a 2 week bike ride across Italy. When we backpacked, our equipment wasn't fancy, but I used to bring what was literally the world's best coffee. I wake up early, so one morning I got to sit on the edge of a cliff and watch the sun come up while sipping my coffee. Don't ask, that variety is extinct, and coffee that's close to that quality often goes for a hundred bucks a pound or more. The filthy rich live in a different world, exclusivity doesn't come cheap.  It wasn't like that in the 70s and 80s. I could just walk into a gourmet shop and buy the worlds best for under 10 bucks a pound. It hadn't been 'discovered'.

6 minutes ago, late said:

I don't dress to impress. My car is an 11 year old Sonata.

But the quickest way to understand my approach to life is for me to tell that I live in a modest ranch. A ranch that has an acre of really nice yard. We saved for 6 years to go on a 2 week bike ride across Italy. When we backpacked, our equipment wasn't fancy, but I used to bring what was literally the world's best coffee. I wake up early, so one morning I got to sit on the edge of a cliff and watch the sun come up while sipping my coffee. Don't ask, that variety is extinct, and coffee that's close to that quality often goes for a hundred bucks a pound or more. The filthy rich live in a different world, exclusivity doesn't come cheap.  It wasn't like that in the 70s and 80s. I could just walk into a gourmet shop and buy the worlds best for under 10 bucks a pound. It hadn't been 'discovered'.

Most of my camping gear is second hand.  We save to send our son's to Boy Scout camp.  Have been on three family vacations in the last 15 years.  On a related note, Arabica may be extinct soon due to global warming.  

So, have you tried the artisanal TP or not?

47 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have come at this cooking thing later in life than some others, so there are knowledge gaps I have.  I have cooked with stock, but dislike hauling it around from the grocery store, and the fact that it goes bad if you don't use it up.  Plus, it is pricey as hell.

Is there an alternative that works well?  Bouillion cubes sound like a nice alternative, what is the story?  Are some much better than others?

If Stocks are out, have you considered investing in Bonds then?

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

There is also this cool invention...they call it a refrigerator it usually includes a freezer..you can freeze leftover stock in ice cube trays and store them in a freezer bag..taking out as much as you need...when you need it.

I like snarky Petite!  I hope she comes out to play more often.  I wonder if the RG cohabitation thing is the underlying cause of the snarkiness?  

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

There is also this cool invention...they call it a refrigerator it usually includes a freezer..you can freeze leftover stock in ice cube trays and store them in a freezer bag..taking out as much as you need...when you need it.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I like snarky Petite!  I hope she comes out to play more often.  I wonder if the RG cohabitation thing is the underlying cause of the snarkiness?  

...someone has been pushed right to the sarcastic edge of reality.:whistle:

4 hours ago, late said:

Pretty much what late says here.  I don't use stock but do use powdered buillion.

Bouillon cubes are a reasonable alternative but, as someone who only occasionally needs stock, I love Better Than Bouillion - a paste which is not-refrigerated when you buy or store it, but you do refrigerate it after opening and it lasts for over a year.  It's MUCH closer to real stock than bouillon cubes.  In my area. the chicken and beef varieties are available in Costco and Safeway stores and I think more- the website only lists Safeway.

An unopened jar I bought at Costco a couple months ago says "Best if used by Dec. 12, 2019." and Better Than Bouillon's website (https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/faq.aspx) says: "Provided it has been stored properly, to include refrigeration after opening, the Food Base is good to use after opening until its “Best if used by date”.  Please follow the “Best if used by date” printed on the top of the label."

I buy the Roasted Chicken Base because it goes with everything I make and is a fine substitute for beef base, which I don't use often enough to buy a 2nd jar. Costco carries the 8 oz. Roasted Chicken and Beef.  There are also several other bases and some in 3.5 oz. sizes by the same company - check them out at the link I provided above.

I use it when making homemade soups, and for things like my favorite pressure cooker meal, Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy, listed under the Better than Bouillon picture:

507573174_BetterthanBouillonChicken.jpg.27c58f7fc4483919e6d9f9749f9aa5a6.jpg

Pressure Cooker Pot Roast With Mushroom Gravy - Easy

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/pressure-cooker-pot-roast-with-mushroom-gravy-easy-380069

By Shelley Lee on July 03, 2009

image.png.c417be445e68f9a4ca2d3ac6fa202d11.png

4.8 stars/5, 10 reviewers

Prep Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 1 hr

Servings: 6-8

About This Recipe

"This is a super easy recipe and SO good! Makes it's own gravy. I adapted this from my favorite crock pot recipe for pot roast. Just cook and serve with steamed rice. I'm new to pressure cooking and I just LOVE it!"

Ingredients

3 lbs chuck roast, 2-3 inches thick

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 (1 7/8 ounce) envelopes onion soup mix ( or onion mushroom soup mix)

2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup

1 cup water ( or beef or chicken stock)

SUBSTITUTION by Mickey: I use 1 can cream of mushroom soup (no added can water), 1.5 cups water, and 2 tbsp. of "Better Than Bouillon" Chicken Base instead of the recipe's original 2 cans cream of mush. soup and 1 cup water.

Directions

Brown meat on all sides in oil in cooker.

Mix all other ingredients and add to cooker, coating meat.

Cover and cook 50-60 minutes after control jiggles.

Cool cooker normally for 5 minutes, then place under faucet to depressurize.

The gravy came out perfect for us -- thin with beef stock or thicken to your own taste.

image.png.d75a012e988c253caa09be5d6f105df5.png

Reviews

Chef Pivo: My family loves this recipe. I used to do it the slow cooker, but love the consistency, flavor and speed that the pressure cooker offers.  I usually thicken the gravy afterwards with a little corn starch. Otherwise it's perfect!

KateL: Home cooking home run! This brought back fond memories for DH and me. I felt guilty about the simplicity of this recipe, but that fell away when we enjoyed the tender, moist chuck roast. This made a LOT of gravy. For us, this serves 4 with healthy appetites. Served with roasted potatoes, green beans and red bell peppers.

CA Canner: Used a vegetable steamer insert with peeled potatoes, onion cut into quarters, and whole shallots up out of the liquid. It keeps them from turning into mush. Easy and wonderful pressure cooker recipe!

• Heart 1

What  kind of stock do you have now?  Is it a wooden stock that came on your weapon?  Those are not very adjustable.  You can cut them a bit or put a pad on the end but that's about it.  I love the look but they are heavy.  There are some really nice polymer stocks out there that are fully adjustable, even collapsible to a point where your rifle is carried much easier.  I would suggest this route.   

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

What  kind of stock do you have now?  Is it a wooden stock that came on your weapon?  Those are not very adjustable.  You can cut them a bit or put a pad on the end but that's about it.  I love the look but they are heavy.  There are some really nice polymer stocks out there that are fully adjustable, even collapsible to a point where your rifle is carried much easier.  I would suggest this route.   

You may call them stocks, butt some would disagree.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Further said:

Broth is much cheaper than stock and can add that little boost. Simmer a chicken carcase in chicken broth for an hour and you have chicken juice that puts commercial stock to shame.

You can get "soup bones" at almost any grocery or butcher shop. What I have done is simply remove the bones from a cut of meat and cook the bones in the soup. Of course something like pain fry some cubed meat and put all that in the soup. I generally don't don't do foo-foo dishes so the principle works for me.

On 5/31/2018 at 1:39 PM, maddmaxx said:

Are you willing to order it if it's out of stock?

9 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Can't help it.  This sort of thing is my stock in trade.

9 hours ago, pedalphile said:

You're just trotting out stock replies now.

9 hours ago, pedalphile said:

You may call them stocks, butt some would disagree.

...reported. :angry:  Excessive punning is clearly beyond the pale.