Front Deck materials... recommendations?

Dottleshead

51 minutes ago, Dottie said:

So if given a choice between the two, what would you get?  Vinyl or composite?

...in every home improvement I've ever done, I never let the higher cost of materials that I feel are superior dictate my choice.I have always felt that if you're gonna either do the work or pay someone to do it, the materials cost is of secondary importance to results and durability. I even use 30 pound felt as a roofing underlay, when the minimum by code is usually 15 here.  It's just who I am.

But I would also be reluctant to leave a deck exposed to the elements.  I'm a big fan of porches with roofs for that sort of thing. 

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...in every home improvement I've ever done, I never let the higher cost of materials that I feel are superior dictate my choice.I have always felt that if you're gonna either do the work or pay someone to do it, the materials cost is of secondary importance to results and durability. I even use 30 pound felt as a roofing underlay, when the minimum by code is usually 15 here.  It's just who I am.

But I would also be reluctant to leave a deck exposed to the elements.  I'm a big fan of porches with roofs for that sort of thing. 

Then we are thinking alike.  I like to get folks inputs and why. I can say our deck is a converted porch and we are not going back,  Deck it is,  I suspect it's composite too.  I just need to figure out the timing.

Duradek looks like vinyl flooring but for outside.  Composite can be a signature piece and look like this.

deck.jpg.d0e30aedbebeb6f971677dd79e7eefc0.jpg

I spent the extra money and did composite six years ago, and have not regretted it.  It looks brand new, no fading, no chipping and I never have to restain or paint.  The only thing I have found is that I am a barefoot guy and in the hottest days of summer, it can be warm on the toes.  I love mine and IMO is well worth the extra money.  And super easy to do yourself if you want to

• Awesome 1