I don't have to worry about my transmission anymore

jsharr

Ryan and I were running an errand and a woman and a Nissan SUV ran a stop sign in front of us. We T-boned her at 30 miles an hour. She had to go to the hospital don't know if she is seriously injured. She was at fault. I may have to get a new truck.

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

Dammit, it man, Sounds like you're OK. Take 4 ibuprofen every four hours for the next three days.

Dunno about the truck, unless the frame got tweaked hard, they'll prolly repair it. Bummer.

How many miles on it, I just turned over 74k this AM.

So, HTF does someone run a stop sign in clear, daylight? I'ma guessing cell phone or child (which you didn't mention) in the back seat.

So a little more detail and some strange facts. Airbags are loud. The retractors on Chevy seat belt create one hell of a lot of smoke and smell horrible. When Ryan and I got out of my truck and went to the lady's car she was responsive and ask what happened I told her she ran a stop sign and we T-boned her and that is about all I know about her.

A passerby who did not witness the accident but stopped called nine-one-one two police officers of fire truck and an ambulance came. The other driver was transported in a neck brace and on a stretcher. Her car was impounded and the police told me she was cited for failure to yield. They also told me all of her information would be in the police report. I hit her in her passenger side door which is good for her

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

A passerby who did not witness the accident but stopped called nine-one-one two police officers of fire truck and an ambulance came. The other driver was transported in a neck brace and on a stretcher. Her car was impounded and the police told me she was cited for failure to yield. They also told me all of her information would be in the police report. I hit her in her passenger side door which is good for her

...I wouldn't get too excited about the neck brace and the gurney. Those are SOP in a case like this.  Too bad about the lady, but from your description of the accident, this sounds precautionary.

Air bags are loud.  That inflation charge going off sounds like a gunshot to me.  Looks like they worked well for you, though.  30 to zero instantaneously is a substantial negative G deceleration.

33 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Glad you are both OK. For a while, it seemed like they were totaling vehicles if the air bags blew, something about cleaning up the powder, etc.  Has that changed over time?

I have no idea.  Never totalled a vehicle.  Only been in a few wrecks and none of them serious.  None at all in the past 20 years, closer to 30.  Never heard an air bag.  Sounded like a shot gun.  The seat belt retractor firing created a lot of smoke and SCARED me, as I thought the truck was on fire.  Ryan could not get his door open and I was out of it and it took me a while to tell him to crawl out my side.    That is part that scares me.  Martha said I sound collected and matter of fact, but right after the accident, I did not react fast to makes sure Ryan was okay.  I asked him, but I did not react.

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I did not react fast to makes sure Ryan was okay.  I asked him, but I did not react.

Time is not perceived the same under duress. I wouldn't trouble yourself over it in retrospect. Actually, a cautious approach at that moment is prudent. Now if a bicycle was in the back seat ...

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If you're collected enough now I have a question.  How hard did the air bag hit your face.  I've always wondered what would happen to someone wearing glasses during an airbag deployment.

I do not recall it hitting my face.  Burned the hair off my arm in one place.  Hot spots on inside of both forearms and on my stomach from the air bag.  No pain from the seat belt tighening.  Big Red did a good job keeping Ryan and I safe.  

I do not recall if my glasses even got dislodged or dirty.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Glad you are both OK. For a while, it seemed like they were totaling vehicles if the air bags blew, something about cleaning up the powder, etc.  Has that changed over time?

as of 4 years ago they were totalling them. Lil Scrapr turned in front of a Geo crapbox then in WoScraprs 10 year old Honda. Airbags blew and that was that

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Curious, how did your eye glasses survive the air bags?

Fine.  Never got near my face.  The seat belt tensioner did one hell of a job as far as I can tell.  Neither Ryan or I recall getting hit in the face.  Not sure what broke the windshield.  Maybe the airbag firing?

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Fine.  Never got near my face.  The seat belt tensioner did one hell of a job as far as I can tell.  Neither Ryan or I recall getting hit in the face.  Not sure what broke the windshield.  Maybe the airbag firing?

More likely the crumble zone collapsed into the window frame.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, smudge said:

Any neck bruises from the seatbelts?

Like Kirby said, you'll both probably be pretty sore tomorrow. Take it easy.

took ibuprofen earlier.  Ryan went for a bike ride a bit ago.  I am a tiny bit sore, but no bruising, no burns, no real sore muscles.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

More likely the crumble zone collapsed into the window frame.

that is what I am thinking.  Or the hood got it.  But it looked to me like a round object hit it.  Ryan said he did not hit it.  I looked at his head pretty close.  The paramedics did not seem concerned about us but told us if we wanted to go they would take us, or we could call them later, or go ourselves to the hospital.

It's quite possible that the air bag broke the windshield.  The industry claims that damaged windshields lessen the effectiveness of the air bag system.  That implies that the other side of the airbag that hits you must be hitting the vehicle structure as well.

At any rate you no longer have to worry if you have Takata air bags.

Get the Toyota.  Great truck.

• Heart 1