Burn oot or fade away? Discus please

Ralphie

Funny, I just had one of those Medical "Wellness" physicals two Thursday ago and was given the personal and legal forms for designating, when I'm dying (hopefully decades in the future), who will determine when they pull the plug on me and under what conditions I say they have to pull the plug. It's called the "Maryland Advance Directive" and I can name three "Health Care Agents" - a primary and two backups. They can determine where I'm treated and who treats me if I can't do it.  I can assign conditions including: "If my doctors certify that my death from a terminal condition is imminent...keep me comfortable and allow natural death to occur. I do not want any medical interventions..."

I've already told my sister and brother, who will be the primary and first backup, I want the plug pulled if the alternative is constant pain until the end or an unconscious or vegetative state: I'd rather pass my money on to my nephews, even if they blow their inheritances on fun, rather than use some of it to keep me artificially but needlessly alive.

My father struggled to keep his mind clear - mostly unsuccessfully - for the last half-year of his life as cancer and organ deterioration led to the end.  In a brief moment of clarity, he looked around the TV room I'm sitting in right now and said, "I think it's time to check out." Those were his last words as he drifted off into unconsciousness and stopped breathing.

My mother, with stage-3 lung cancer, baby sat her 2 year-old grandson 10-hours/day, 5 days/week, for half a year while getting chemo but being mostly pain-free and mostly enjoying life - including an Alaska Cruise and attending an out of town wedding of a grand-nephew and sightseeing in Colonial Williamsburg, VA.  Then, she spent a few months too weak to live alone but still pain free and when she knew the end was coming because hallucinations showed cancer had spread outside of her lungs, she had a Do Not Resuscitate order created.  Two days after her birthday, an out-of-state niece brought her a spectacular lasagna, and she ate two big pieces and enjoyed a 2nd birthday party. There hadn't been a time when she couldn't carry on an intelligent conversation. Two days later she passed away in her sleep.

I would MUCH rather go the way my mother did - not being mentally out-of-it and not living in bad pain for months, then giving up the ghost quickly when time has run out.