Do you think baby seals are asking for it?

Randomguy

I remember, a generation or so ago, when conservation groups showed videos of baby seals getting bludgeoned by humans for their fur - with lots of red blood on the snow.

Then, yesterday, I watched PBS and that English guy with the cockney accent, Ian Wright, on "Globe Trekker" was on a ship along the northern coast of Sweden and, with binoculars, spied a Polar Bear in the distance, with a seal pup in its mouth. His guide said the Polar Bears there live almost entirely on seals.

So, with the Polar Bear population dropping off due to Global Warming and less ice, do we need to not whack the seal pups so the Polar Bears can grab them?

On the other hand, the Polar Bear population now is 3 times what it was in the 1960's, when conservation steps were put in place.  So maybe we should grab our share!

On the third hand, the reason Scott ran out of supplies and froze to death trying to reach the South Pole first, racing against Amundsen in 1911, while Amundsen reached it effortlessly is because Scott did not study and prepare, while Amundsen (below) spent two years through the winter of 1905 living among the Inuit (Eskimos) in Canada, and learning key things to survive and travel in the cold including the fact that Caribou fur was the best for keeping you warm and keeping you from sweating inside your clothes. Apparently the hairs are hollow and require less density to hold in the heat while not holding in too much moisture. So make my fur caribou!

Roald_Amundsen-furs2.thumb.jpg.9485e85b3a875b5cf6148f2d4322768f.jpgRoald_Amundsen-furs.thumb.jpg.33f589e3af19497b869c1ccb5833f5a6.jpg178023111_roaldamundsen-the-inuits-4.thumb.jpg.6dd4dd03e9e525e0a6da4c9eea5b6f19.jpg

• Heart 1