What a lucky find!

KrAzY

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

getting warmer.....

Needs a deck and a beer cooler.

careful what you ask for.

I'm not a beer drinker.. whiskey and Bourbon are better warm. 

What I now need is a lovely unicorn pool float!

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Image result for redneck pool float

A friend of mine is a college professor in Florida and some of her friends got her adult sex dolls, male and female as pool floats. She left them float around her pool that whole year. Every picture she posted that year you could see those blow up dolls floating around in the background.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

And here I'm the idiot that bought a house with a pool when I could've done it for free.

20180527_080036.jpg

How’s that pool working out? Some people seem to have trouble with pool maintenance and make it into a big difficult expensive chore. My son grew up with pools but when he bought a house with one it immediately turned green. He threw money at the problem but never was able to fix it. He now has a pool maintenance company take care of his pool.9

29 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

never know what RG will be wearing...or not wearing

It's RG.. we just expect the unexpected!

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

And here I'm the idiot that bought a house with a pool when I could've done it for free.

Yup... I found the houses with pools here were more in shambles and needed more work then ones without pools. I opted for a nicer house and figured a pool was later down the road.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, KrAzY said:

It's RG.. we just expect the unexpected!

Yup... I found the houses with pools here were more in shambles and needed more work then ones without pools. I opted for a nicer house and figured a pool was later down the road.

That’s because the people with pools spent all their time floating around the pool instead of doing house maintenance. You could have bought one of those houses and that could be you. You wouldn’t even notice your house was in shambles.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

How’s that pool working out? Some people seem to have trouble with pool maintenance and make it into a big difficult expensive chore. My son grew up with pools but when he bought a house with one it immediately turned green. He threw money at the problem but never was able to fix it. He now has a pool maintenance company take care of his pool.9

A little slow at first, but getting it figured out.  There's a pool supply store right down the road, grab a water sample take it in, they have my pool size stored in the computer.  They test it and tell me exactly how much of what I need.  Need to get a test kit so I can do some of it myself, but every time I go to order the one I want, Amazon is out of stock.

I am constantly fighting a pool filer I can't keep unclogged, but said screw it and ordered a new cartridge style one.  I understand those and feel more confident cleaning and maintaining that than the DE Filter I have that badly needs taken apart and thoroughly cleaned.  Also need to get rid of two big pine trees, who ever thinks pine trees next to a pool is a good idea needs shot, they are a huge mess and pain in the ass to get cleaned out of a pool. 

The previous owner did me no favors with plenty of half assed shotty work, but I'm getting things sorted quickly.  So, yeah, I'm throwing some money at it, but everything I'm doing was recommended by an experienced pool professional.  Getting an automated pool cover installed for safety (strangely the kids have yet to fall into the pool, my stupid Mini Aussie has fallen in accidentally at least once every day we've been there) he works for a big pool company, used to do his own side pool maintenance too and recommended I go to the cartridge filter after looking over what I had when he was there for the cover estimate.  His company sells them, he recommended I order one online as it would be half the cost.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

The only decent house I found that fit what we wanted and wasn't a major project happened to have a pool.  Worked out well as it gave my son something to make the move easier as he is well distracted.  Of course I'm finding the previous home owner was an idiot, but the structure is sound and well built, so I'll get it sorted and have an awesome house.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

recommended I go to the cartridge filter after looking over what I had when he was there for the cover estimate.  His company sells them, he recommended I order one online as it would be half the cost.

To each his own, I detest cartridge filters and earth filters are a PITA. Sand filters are the way to go but it sounds like I might be a little late with that advice.

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

To each his own, I detest cartridge filters and earth filters are a PITA. Sand filters are the way to go but it sounds like I might be a little late with that advice.

And I've heard a lot of people say they hate sand filters.  I will agree that earth filters are a pain in the ass, I don't care if they are the best for filtration level, they are not worth the hassle and like you really need to filter a pool down to that level.  The filter I ordered is one quick release to remove the top and pull the cartridge filters to clean them, hose them down, throw them back in.

50 minutes ago, Indy said:

r I ordered is one quick release to remove the top and pull the cartridge filters to clean them, hose them down, throw them back in.

Haha, good luck with that. They do save water if it’s scarce in your area. That is the only good thing I can say about them. It also can be a bad thing because chemicals, sweat, pee, continue to concentrate as long as you have your pool. After a couple years the water will be pretty nasty. The earth filter and the sand filter backwashes to waste and fresh water is added. Here is a photo of my pool today. I haven’t touched it since Memorial weekend when I had six grandkids in it.image.thumb.jpg.80a79c990f41bc69d2295cebd9972eb4.jpg

• Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Haha, good luck with that. They do save water if it’s scarce in your area. That is the only good thing I can say about them. It also can be a bad thing because chemicals, sweat, pee, continue to concentrate as long as you have your pool. After a couple years the water will be pretty nasty. The earth filter and the sand filter backwashes to waste and fresh water is added. Here is a photo of my pool today. I haven’t touched it since Memorial weekend when I had six grandkids in it.image.thumb.jpg.80a79c990f41bc69d2295cebd9972eb4.jpg

My Earth filter doesn't back wash now, it's a Hayward bump handle version.  You just pump the handle three times to regenerate it.  I have to do it a couple times a day to keep water flowing.  The only other option is to flush it out and add more DE which I've done multiple times, so I'm down to taking it apart and cleaning it.  A cartridge filter is at least easier to take apart and clean than what I've got.  Aside from that, getting the pool cleaned up and looking slowly, still have crap on the bottom though from the freaking pine trees and I can't keep my flow rate up to vac it.

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

Nice score.

Good looking fence, BTW. Are those galvanized, metal fence poles as backers on the 4x4s?

LOL at all the Darwin warnings on the side of the pool.

There are a lot of warnings.. one says not to get your hair into the intake for the pump..lol

The fence has galvanized poles, but no 4x4's. They have 2x4's horizontal with the board over board method.

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, Indy said:

My Earth filter doesn't back wash now, it's a Hayward bump handle version.  You just pump the handle three times to regenerate it.  I have to do it a couple times a day to keep water flowing.  The only other option is to flush it out and add more DE which I've done multiple times, so I'm down to taking it apart and cleaning it.  A cartridge filter is at least easier to take apart and clean than what I've got.  Aside from that, getting the pool cleaned up and looking slowly, still have crap on the bottom though from the freaking pine trees and I can't keep my flow rate up to vac it.

Can you chainsaw massacre the pines?

1 minute ago, pedalphile said:

Can you chainsaw massacre the pines?

That's the plan once the pool cover is on.  I have to take out some fencing, which we want gone to open up the backyard, but if the pool isn't fenced in you are required to have an automated cover.  So cover gets on, fence gets dropped and so do the freaking trees.

41 minutes ago, 12string said:

It worked!

This is so much fun, you should try it.  Open up Google Earth to some random location, look around for a relatively portable pool, then list it on the local town free site. 

That's why I'm glad mine isn't portable.

42 minutes ago, 12string said:

It worked!

This is so much fun, you should try it.  Open up Google Earth to some random location, look around for a relatively portable pool, then list it on the local town free site.

And it was amazing the homeowners had it drained and helped me load it into my car! 

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My brother also bought a house with a pool. He said to me last week at a pool party, "Except for the vacation we're taking together, I'm not spending any money the rest of the year on non-necessities.  Look at the (large in-ground) pool.  That new liner cost me $5500. At least it includes a 20-year warranty.

7 hours ago, Indy said:

That’s backwashing to waste when you are flushing it out. It’s a stupid system but when I had one ( came with the house) the only time I took it apart was at the end of the season when I winterized the pool. I checked it over and cleaned it then. I bought a sand filter when I bought a bigger pool. That was in 2,000 and it has worked flawless ever since.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That’s backwashing to waste when you are flushing it out. It’s a stupid system but when I had one ( came with the house) the only time I took it apart was at the end of the season when I winterized the pool. I checked it over and cleaned it then. I bought a sand filter when I bought a bigger pool. That was in 2,000 and it has worked flawless ever since.

I love it when you guys talk pool filters. :D

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2018 at 8:30 AM, KrAzY said:

Sunday night I saw a post on our local free site for our town. I decided it was better not to tell the wife or kids about it and quickly contacted the giver awayer about the item. They promptly texted me back and I was on the road in no time.

I got the item loaded into the in-laws SUV and brought it home without anyone noticing I was gone. (That cause no one loves me and pays no attention that I'm around).

Yesterday right after work I grab that item out of the car and set it up.. it was a lot easier then I thought it would have been. 

Now we have a swimming pool at our house.. everyone was surprised and it went over really well... I started running water into the pool.. so far so good. 

The only things I needed to get were a ground tarp and the pool chemicals. $80 later and a free pool... What can go wrong... Minus a rip and it flooding out the neighbors house...  Oh well... That's why you don't live on a lower lot then your neighbors!

So when y'all coming over for a pool party?

9390.thumb.jpeg.d65206f918d853813525c2357a33131d.jpeg

Where is the slide? Jsharr already knows the slide rules, so he'd be a good invite once it is in place. 

Without a slide, how do you get in?

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

All this talk of pool filters and maintenance makes me very pleased that we do not own a pool. 

Simple life here.  Simple bills.  

We will be taking advantage of the river behind our house when we retire.  It is clean and beautiful.

THIS! As a former pool owner in Arizona, was not a priority - and potential deal killer - when moved to FL. Neighborhood community pool across the street, so they take care of it and I go over and do laps!

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Where is the slide? Jsharr already knows the slide rules, so he'd be a good invite once it is in place. 

Without a slide, how do you get in?

Duh.. ya jump off the roof.. that was a dumb question.. go sit in the corner

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

When you don't show the ladder leading up to the roof, one can't simply assume. I know you're not in high school any more.

But everyone knows one does not just enter a pool simply by ladder or slide.. there is no suspense and it