I am worried that my brazilnuts are lying to me

Randomguy

30 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Have you tried asking them?

They might be lying, apparently they grow in countries other than Brazil.  Also, they can be hazardous:

"In Brazil, it is illegal to cut down a Brazil nut tree.[citation needed] As a result, they can be found outside production areas, in the backyards of homes and near roads and streets. The fruits are very heavy and rigid, and they pose a serious threat to vehicles and people passing under the tree. Brazil nut fruits sink in fresh water, which can cause clogging of waterways in riparian areas."

The Brazil nut tree is the only species in the monotypic genus Bertholletia. It is native to the Guianas, Venezuela, Brazil, eastern Colombia, eastern Peru, and eastern Bolivia. It occurs as scattered trees in large forests on the banks of the Amazon River, Rio Negro, Tapajós, and the Orinoco. The genus is named after the French chemist Claude Louis Berthollet.

The Brazil nut is a large tree, reaching 50 m (160 ft) tall and with a trunk 1 to 2 m (3.3 to 6.6 ft) in diameter, making it among the largest of trees in the Amazon rainforests. It may live for 500 years or more, and according to some authorities often reaches an age of 1,000 years.[1] The stem is straight and commonly without branches for well over half the tree's height, with a large emergent crown of long branches above the surrounding canopy of other trees.

We get the big canisters of mixed nuts from Costco and each one is replete with perfectly-shaped, cleanly shelled Brazil nuts.  I think maybe twice in my life I was able to crack one and get the nut out without breaking it. 

Costco = magic!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

The Brazil nut tree is the only species in the monotypic genus Bertholletia. It is native to the Guianas, Venezuela, Brazil, eastern Colombia, eastern Peru, and eastern Bolivia. It occurs as scattered trees in large forests on the banks of the Amazon River, Rio Negro, Tapajós, and the Orinoco. The genus is named after the French chemist Claude Louis Berthollet.

The Brazil nut is a large tree, reaching 50 m (160 ft) tall and with a trunk 1 to 2 m (3.3 to 6.6 ft) in diameter, making it among the largest of trees in the Amazon rainforests. It may live for 500 years or more, and according to some authorities often reaches an age of 1,000 years.[1] The stem is straight and commonly without branches for well over half the tree's height, with a large emergent crown of long branches above the surrounding canopy of other trees.

...one way you can tell. The ones from Columbia and Bolivia are shipped packed in powdered cocaine, so there's a whitish residue left on the nuts.