Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet Zacharia

197 consecutive months

Recommended Posts

Over 16 years of Fox News dominating the television news scene with it’s added blend of opinion (in various concentrations). I do like that I am still in both of their “younger viewers” categories. I hope that means younger people just don’t watch TV, so the 40+ folks carry the viewership trends.

“Fox News has been the most-watched cable news channel in total day and prime time for 197 consecutive months, and it also defeated its cable news competition among younger news viewers, including adults 25-54 and even 18-49.

Fox News remained the most-watched basic cable network in May among total day viewers, defeating the competition for the 23rd consecutive month, per Nielsen data.”

Source.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pedalphile said:

You can fool most of the people most of the time, then.

It appears you can fool a majority (of watchers) ALL of the time. I’d suggest that everyone who relies on TV as a significant news source is at risk, but studies do support that Fox News watchers are particularly misinformed. My hope is that a majority of PEOPLE don’t watch TV news regularly, and utilize other sources of information. Otherwise, everyone will know how to obstruct Justice by destroying evidence thanks to Mr. Hannity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am growing tired of my network television news source. As far as I can see, all of them include some spin to the news. I just want to say, "You are not important enough to put your spin on the facts."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the full time news channels suck.  Yeah, I watch Fox news a little and I know they have a conservative slant so always take that into account.  But they all have a slant and agenda anymore and it is nearly impossible to get unbiased news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Indy said:

All the full time news channels suck.  Yeah, I watch Fox news a little and I know they have a conservative slant so always take that into account.  But they all have a slant and agenda anymore and it is nearly impossible to get unbiased news.

I think PBS gives the best factual reporting. It’s not sexy or entertaining, but it’s goal is accurate reporting with balanced coverage. Fox News and MSNBC seem at the far opposite end of that continuum, with more opinion content than straight news delivery. The degree that they intermingle the two and make it difficult to untangle is what’s most harmful, IMO. The big three networks are more on the middle. I used to think CNN was more in the middle, but with their heavy reliance on personality anchors, I think they’ve slipped. I don’t watch a lot of international news sources to be aware of their biases, but I like BBC news coverage of US issues at least, as a fresh perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think PBS gives the best factual reporting. It’s not sexy or entertaining, but it’s goal is accurate reporting with balanced coverage. Fox News and MSNBC seem at the far opposite end of that continuum, with more opinion content than straight news delivery. The degree that they intermingle the two and make it difficult to untangle is what’s most harmful, IMO. The big three networks are more on the middle. I used to think CNN was more in the middle, but with their heavy reliance on personality anchors, I think they’ve slipped. I don’t watch a lot of international news sources to be aware of their biases, but I like BBC news coverage of US issues at least, as a fresh perspective.

That's why I'm selective as to who and when I watch also.  PBS, usually doesn't have anything on when I have time to watch.  Yeah, you used to be able to trust CNN, but those days are long gone, I've found BBC to have a liberal lean as they are British so they tend to come from that angle.  One America news isn't bad for just news, but I find them to be way to scattered with their shot gun approach, plus they seem to spend a lot of time on stuff I don't care about and also seems to be a loop from what I can tell so never up on breaking stuff which is when I'm most likely to tune in.

 

Of course most of the time the TV in my house is on NickJR, so I don't get to watch much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Fox News remained the most-watched basic cable network in May among total day viewers,

...so is this the demographic that channel surfs between Fox and Friends and Jerry Springer ?:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I like to get my news directly from the source, without it being filtered.  So I try to watch RT News.

I don't think people realize how funny this comment is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dottie said:

I don't think people realize how funny this comment is.

I had to check the author of the comment before determining the likelihood that it was sarcasm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This section is just P&R for people who pretend they don't want P&R right?

This is a thread about a news article about a news channel. If this subforum is to exist, I think this is an appropriate place for this thread. No policy or philosophy is discussed, and only general, fairly well agreed upon biases of news sources are mentioned.

But maybe the comment is less focused on the content of this thread, and instead the merit of a "News" section? If so.... To me, P&R provides more value.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

This is a thread about a news article about a news channel. If this subforum is to exist, I think this is an appropriate place for this thread. No policy or philosophy is discussed, and only general, fairly well agreed upon biases of news sources are mentioned.

But maybe the comment is less focused on the content of this thread, and instead the merit of a "News" section? If so.... To me, P&R provides more value.

 

Perhaps it's just me, but the general attitude toward news sources has become as political as how one feels about other things.  Any time a discussion breaks out between Fox and CNN I have to believe that people are speaking in code about the political sources they favor that fit their beliefs.  It's not like this subject exists in a vacuum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:08 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think PBS gives the best factual reporting. It’s not sexy or entertaining, but it’s goal is accurate reporting with balanced coverage.

One major exception was their Election Night coverage. They were all but crying (actually I think that one person was) when it was obvious that Trump had won. Earlier in the evening when one of the correspondents mentioned that it looked like Trump might possibly win, the rest jumped on her like she was spouting 4-letter words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

One major exception was their Election Night coverage. They were all but crying (actually I think that one person was) when it was obvious that Trump had won. Earlier in the evening when one of the correspondents mentioned that it looked like Trump might possibly win, the rest jumped on her like she was spouting 4-letter words.

Could you tell why? Were they so pro-Hillary that it affected their impartiality? Or so anti-Trump because of things he had said/done that they took his victory as an affront to them? Hopefully, this was an anomaly. I generally appreciate hearing their take on the issues, even when I don’t agree. While most election nights are tense and emotional, this one seemed particularly personal. 

I sat on a volcano and watched lava flow into the ocean rather than watch election night returns. I think it was the right decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Perhaps it's just me, but the general attitude toward news sources has become as political as how one feels about other things.  Any time a discussion breaks out between Fox and CNN I have to believe that people are speaking in code about the political sources they favor that fit their beliefs.  It's not like this subject exists in a vacuum.

I think you can discuss biases that exist in news reporting without becoming partisan about it or having the conversation deteriorate into something that needs to be shielded within P&R (or the thread locked!).  I think there is general agreement where these news sources sit in their political orientation. How far on a particular continuum is a matter of opinion, but it’s a discussion forum for opinions. No news item exists in a vacuum, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Could you tell why? Were they so pro-Hillary that it affected their impartiality? Or so anti-Trump because of things he had said/done that they took his victory as an affront to them? Hopefully, this was an anomaly. I generally appreciate hearing their take on the issues, even when I don’t agree. While most election nights are tense and emotional, this one seemed particularly personal. 

I sat on a volcano and watched lava flow into the ocean rather than watch election night returns. I think it was the right decision.

Part of it was anti-Trump and there was mention of his threat to remove government funding from PBS and NPR. However I think that it was more pro-Hillary. It was probably and anomaly as usually PBS usually doesn't have an ax to grind like other news media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think you can discuss biases that exist in news reporting without becoming partisan about it or having the conversation deteriorate into something that needs to be shielded within P&R (or the thread locked!).  I think there is general agreement where these news sources sit in their political orientation. How far on a particular continuum is a matter of opinion, but it’s a discussion forum for opinions. No news item exists in a vacuum, either. 

Then I must assume that discussing pro/anti Hillary or pro/anti Trump biases are not political in nature. :dontknow:

That's why I'd call this P&R for people who don't want to do P&R........sometimes called P&R light.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Then I must assume that discussing pro/anti Hillary or pro/anti Trump biases are not political in nature. :dontknow:

That's why I'd call this P&R for people who don't want to do P&R........sometimes called P&R light.

Maybe. You can’t ignore that these political people exist, that news stories and reporting don’t have political perspectives ... That this thread isn’t moved into P&R might suggest that this is how P&R should function? Topics are discussed, no name calling, alternate experiences are explored... and no additional password entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 11:50 AM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I had to check the author of the comment before determining the likelihood that it was sarcasm. 

...what did you decide ? I'm on the fence. Your decision might tip the balance.:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Maybe. You can’t ignore that these political people exist, that news stories and reporting don’t have political perspectives ... That this thread isn’t moved into P&R might suggest that this is how P&R should function? Topics are discussed, no name calling, alternate experiences are explored... and no additional password entry.

I have to respectfully disagree.  Anyone who thinks about Fox and CNN bias without realizing the politics involved is fooling themselves.  

I'd also have to disagree that moving a thread to P&R should be done because there are or will be insults.  P&R is for discussing political issues, not a dumping ground for unwanted threads by the more "civilized" members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I have to respectfully disagree.  Anyone who thinks about Fox and CNN bias without realizing the politics involved is fooling themselves.  

I'd also have to disagree that moving a thread to P&R should be done because there are or will be insults.  P&R is for discussing political issues, not a dumping ground for unwanted threads by the more "civilized" members.

I don’t mean to argue with you. I’ve stated why I think a news article about news programs is reasonable to be in the “news” sub forum. And that any discussion of news will have some potential political overlap.  If I am incorrect in my overall assessment, I am fine with it moving to P&R. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 7:38 AM, Page Turner said:

...there are civilized members ? I thought the civilized members all left ?:huh:

That happened when you showed up.  Duh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×