Time seems to pass more quickly

shootingstar

Seems like over the past 5 years, time seems to march on faster. Maybe it's the loss of a few loved ones for me.  And awareness needling me, that I need to make the most of my time.. even though I waste some of it..here. :)

Since I don't have children, I may view passage of time, differently. 

Or maybe because I know 3 long time friends who will be taking early retirement this year or next yr. They're my age @59.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

Yes...I think time passes more quickly now...maybe because we are so much more aware of the value of life..No kids here either...So when my friend's kids graduated from college..oh my I don't feel old enough to have kids that old...LOL I could be a grandma or even a great grandma at this age...

I just keep riding my bike...

• Heart 1

Old people have always said years fly by faster as you get older. It’s true, but I have kids and grandkids and I enjoy every minute of it. My youngest son had a late night campfire last night with his family making s’more’s and celebrating school being out for the summer. Then he had a daddy/daughter sleepover in the living room with his four daughters. I think my life would be so different if we had not chosen to raise a family. I really can’t imagine it.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Rattlecan said:

I think this is easily explained. As you get older, each year is a smaller percentage of your life span. When I was 40, the previous 20 years was half my life, and seemed like a very long time. 

Now that I'm 60 something, the last 20 years seems like a blip.

That's plausible. Or, time really could be going faster these days.

• Haha 1

Time is nothing but perception.  The only measurable reality is this one very small point in reality.  The past is already gone but for memory and the future has not yet happened.

We use the perception of time to categorize points in our lives that have happened, may yet happen or are the reality of right now.

12 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Yes...I think time passes more quickly now...maybe because we are so much more aware of the value of life..No kids here either...So when my friend's kids graduated from college..oh my I don't feel old enough to have kids that old...LOL I could be a grandma or even a great grandma at this age...

I just keep riding my bike...

Today, a work colleague said her mother-in-law complained she felt old. And couldn't do  xxxx, or xxxx, xxxx, xxx etc.  Her MIL is 68.  Just for me to hear that this woman only 9 yrs. older than I, made me feel quite young.  ?‍♀️

from longjohn:

Old people have always said years fly by faster as you get older. It’s true, but I have kids and grandkids and I enjoy every minute of it. My youngest son had a late night campfire last night with his family making s’more’s and celebrating school being out for the summer. Then he had a daddy/daughter sleepover in the living room with his four daughters. I think my life would be so different if we had not chosen to raise a family. I really can’t imagine it.

Of course, your life would have been very different. 

A child-free person like myself has had  exposure to 7 nieces and nephews from 3 sisters in terms of occasional childcare, etc.  especially when I lived in the same city as they all do.  And now the eldest niece is 33 yrs.  Her 31 yr. brother and wife just had a baby last yr.  Not every child-free person is like myself.  I feel very fortunate to be part of a large extended family.  

My partner who now has 3 grandchildren...he does admit that having children (he has 2) can age one at certain times.  I was a little shocked when he felt a guy I met who used to work with same former employer, was younger than he. The other guy looked older and seemed unhealthy.  Yet he too, was very sharp and lively as he was emeceeing/chairing a large public meeting last night.

18 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Since I don't have children, I may view passage of time, differently. 

Or maybe because I know 3 long time friends who will be taking early retirement this year or next yr. They're my age @59.

I don't have children either.  I too have noticed time goes by faster but I think part of it is I don't like cramming tasks into a short period anymore.  For instance, when I was younger, I would have had this foundation complete 2 weeks ago.  Today I just do something this day and do something that day, etc.  So things get spread out longer. My days are full -- but the rate I'm burning through them is slower but more steady.  But they are typically filled.

"Time is a non-spatial continuum in which events occur in a seemingly endless procession from one point to the next."  Not sure who penned that.  Watching a pot on the stove waiting for the water to boil.  Seems to take forever.  Or watching the clock at work slowly inching towards going home time.  Seems to take forever.  But the weekend flies by.  As does that week of vacation.  We lose track of time and it seems to have sped up.  But it hasn't.  

• Awesome 1