Free camping

Scrapr

31 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

the houseless are running out of free camping spots in Portlandia

vhqk9pqkel211.jpg

Huh, I thought DH just bought a new camper, guess it can be hard to use on some of the better free spots.

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Other than the decor, I'd say that is a terrible campsite.

I don't know, it looks like a decent sized site.  I've certainly seen smaller ones where they really pack them in on top of each other.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don't know, it looks like a decent sized site.  I've certainly seen smaller ones where they really pack them in on top of each other.

Oh yeah, the size is good. Big enough to slow down an out of control semi trailer rig.

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Oh yeah, the size is good. Big enough to slow down an out of control semi trailer rig.

Didn't think you had to worry about that as everyone there is reduced to either bicycles or horse and buggies since they started pumping their own gas, or have people finally started to figure out how to fill their cars up?

• Haha 1

Why would they camp there, when they have Mt. Hood Forest nearby?  There are way better boondocking sites than that one.

30 minutes ago, Indy said:

Huh, I thought DH just bought a new camper, guess it can be hard to use on some of the better free spots.

I stay clear of P town most of the time.  

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Why would they camp there, when they have Mt. Hood Forest nearby?  There are way better boondocking sites than that one.

I've been there a couple of times recently and the homeless is an issue they haven't quite gotten their arms around.  I saw numerous "camp sites" along freeways, under bridges & such.  I noticed that many do have tents.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

Must be upscale homeless. They have tents where others have cardboard boxes.

It's unbelievable the tents they have. I have no idea how they get set up with them. They must be $300 REI tents if not more. That one on the left looks better than some Boy scout tents. I don't know if the homeless service agencies hand them out or what. The homeless is a big industry in Ptown. All kind a "nonprofit" agencies are involved. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

drug dealers don't deliver to Mt Hood forest

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Scrapr said:

It's unbelievable the tents they have. I have no idea how they get set up with them. They must be $300 REI tents if not more. That one on the left looks better than some Boy scout tents. I don't know if the homeless service agencies hand them out or what. The homeless is a big industry in Ptown. All kind a "nonprofit" agencies are involved. 

Probably the streetcorner "Homeless, please help, God Bless" and other signs. I hear it is quite a business enterprise as certain intersections.

So the houseless (doesn't that sound better than homeless?) are buying motorhomes that are barely brunning and parking on streets and next to parks. Also industrial areas. This van is semi famous in Portland.  It actually has more junk on it than it appears

nhthb00svm211.jpg

• Heart 1

We can help you with those type of issues also, Mr. Scrapr. Once the vehicle is "no longer operational" (with our help), the owner has 24 hours to move or it will be towed at their expense. Just like on the interstate or highway. 

Who do you use for your highly successful scrapping company? We will not match lowball quotes from scam artists like Geico but we will be there for you when needed. 

Marlin

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Scrapr said:

So the houseless (doesn't that sound better than homeless?) are buying motorhomes that are barely brunning and parking on streets and next to parks. Also industrial areas. This van is semi famous in Portland.  It actually has more junk on it than it appears

Get a boat (cabin cruiser or larger or sail)  instead if a car. You don't need to pull in a rent a slip...just anchor offshore but not in the channel. It's free. Yacht owners do it all the time and take a dingy to shore.

About once a year, my sister's family see homeless people cutting through their backyard to get to the thin patch of woods behind it.  When she calls the cops - her husband runs a part time small motor repair business out of a building they built at the edge of the yard and lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. are other lying around - she's told that McD's or some other fast-food place is running something like a 2-for-$1 burger special and the homeless migrate from one such bargain place to another.

31 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I'm not feeling much love for your untermensch in this thread, people.

Well, as a society, we are very young. I am sure as we mature, the distaste for our "untermensch" will become fully apparent and, as such, will remove all doubt from your mind.

Homelessness is a serous problem in this country and especially up here in Seattle.  The rents and mortgage rates are far outpacing the average citizen.  Toss in a very bad opiate problem and you've got a crisis on your hands.  I've never seen it this bad and there have been several attempts to remedy it.  It turns out homelessness is a very difficult problem to solve.  Even when they gave out free housing, many of the units went unfulfilled.  They actually spent millions of dollars to watch the problem get worse.  So I don't think it's a knock on the unfortunate so much as it is about spending our money and tax dollars in futility.  In my view, we are never going to minimize it unless we provide mental health and treatment options for those on the streets.